Has anyone here done the Gumball 3000? | FerrariChat

Has anyone here done the Gumball 3000?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by mred, Jan 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mred

mred Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Ed B.
    Has anyone here done or planning on doing the Gumball 3000 or the Player's Run? I am considering it(probably the PR this year because of location) and was interested in reports from past participants. How was it? What car did you drive? How many tickets did you get? How much (if any) damage was done to your car?

Also, has anyone in England seen the movie from last year's GB3000. I have heard that it is pretty good and can't wait for the DVD.

Any comments and info is appreciated.

Thanks,
    ED

2. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
  3. noahlh

noahlh Formula 3

Aug 28, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Noah
    My buddy Brian did the Gumball last year in his Audi S4. He had the time of his life, and he's planning on doing it again in Europe this year.

He put up a website with real-time logs, pictures, etc....check it out:

http://gumball.briankelley.com

4. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    I know of a few guys who had an absolute blast on the playersrun and am also fortunate enough to know Markus, the organizer. From what I understand it's an amazing run and an unforgetable experience.

PM me for some more information that I cannot post on the site if you are interested.

5. mark_b

mark_b Karting

Dec 11, 2002
    Leeds, UK
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Apparently it was to be shown at Odeon cinemas over here in the UK, but i keep checking and havent found it showing in any local ones :( i guess i will have to wait for the DVD too

6. 1992F40

1992F40 Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2002
    I know one guy who drove his Ruf 911 Turbo and he raced an F-50 I think it was in Arizona. He gave me ride one day, unbelievably fast! He did say he was repainting his car. He still had his stickers on the car when I rode in it.

best regards,

Marcus

7. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Am I the only one who thinks that racing at over 150mph should be done on a track and not on public roads.

8. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Roland has done the Players Run in his F40.

9. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    dave how many tracks can you hit 200 mph on? :)

10. Airman

Airman Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 7, 2004
    I did the Gumball in 2002 in the red Audi S4 with 450 hp and the Players Run in 2003 with the BMW 745i. Both events are a lot of fun.

In 2004 I will do the Torpedo Run ( www.torpedorun.com ). There will be only 30 teams selected due to the very exclusive events. So it's also much more familiar and with the racatracks much more fun.

11. gumball3000

gumball3000 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2003
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Ed Neilson
    I did the Gumball 3000 last year in my Lotus and have entered this years event with my F355 Spider. Brian Kelley (Mentioned earlier) is co driving. The new site is www.gumball2004.com. If anyone wants pictures etc from last year....Give me a shout!

Ed

12. Airman

Airman Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 7, 2004
    Great website, Ed! :)

Concerning the rumours a Lotus Elise with 240 hp entered the Torpedo Run. That car will probably have 340 hp, when the Run starts (www.torpedorun.com).

13. CraigW

CraigW Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2002
    London
    Full Name:
    Craig Williams
    I know the guy who was in the F50, apparently they saw an indicated 212mph on a 996GT2, mad speeds...

14. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    on the mischief 3000 DVD it talks baout how the guy in the F-50 would be flying downt he road at a 180 with cops behind him while he was throwing just tons and tons of money out of his roof.and then it said how many times he had been thrown in jail during the race but i forget how many times it was but it was a lot. i suppose he was having the time of his life though.

15. Airman

Airman Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 7, 2004
    That was in 2002. I think it was on the way to Nashville ... but I'm not sure.

Give the Torpedo Run a chance, too. ;)

www.torpedorun.com

16. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    FWIW Airman a.k.a. Christian Brinkmann has been pimping his Torpedo Run on a few other boards.

Thread at Open Track Racing

There was a thread at NC Racing until the mod apparently yanked it.

17. Ferrari

Ferrari Karting

Nov 2, 2003
  18. Airman

Airman Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 7, 2004
    @ Mark: I saw a Players Run posting for the event in 2004 in several forums, too. ;)

@ Chris: I sent you an email.