napolis...your thoughts on the era or cav gt-40 replicas? | FerrariChat

napolis...your thoughts on the era or cav gt-40 replicas?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by ferraripete, Jan 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

jim,

as i am getting more serious about adding a ford gt to my garage, i began to look at the era car and even the cav cars that are being sold in white plains as an alternate choice. the replicas seem quite good and may be more fun to own and track. i would love to have your input.

please resond to my personal e-mail if you prefer. thanks jim.

best, pcb

p.s. i would love to know the thoughts of others that have some knowledge of the era, cav, or gtd cars.

2. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    i heard an amusing story the other day about the new GT and the naming issue surrounding "GT-40".

as the story goes, apparently some replica manufacturer ended up acquiring the "GT-40" name from ford at some point. why they'd sell it is beyond me, but somehow these guys ended up with it.

so when they started the GT project, they found out they couldn't call it the GT-40, which apparently they wanted to.

the replica company had gone through various ups and downs and ended up in the ownership of a group of investors run by a particular individual.

ford approached him about the name. needless to say, the car is called the GT not the GT-40, so we all know how the deal turned out.

the guy wanted an outrageous amount of money, the new serial numbers to start after the s/n's of the replicas his company had made, and all the replicas to be "declared authentic" by ford.

hey, if you don't ask.......

:)

doody.

3. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I would buy an ERA car as it is I think the best replica (that I know of) on the market. It is the only one that is a monoque and not a space frame.

I assume you have been to their site: http://www.erareplicas.com/gt/gt.htm

They even can make a Mk2 big block one now ... :)

Pete

4. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    What about roaring forties?

5. ferraripete

thanks psk,

the era car really looks like it could be serious fun. all the sexyness of the original w/o the fear of damaging the real thing. jim g. is really to be admired for his use of the "real thing"! it is such an awesome responsibility owning some of these historical cars, i think that is why the high qual replicar gt 40 looks so good to me.

have you seen an era in the flesh? is there an era chat site? thanks for your help.

pcb

6. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Doody, the original car was introduced in April of 1964 as the "Ford GT." The car acquired the GT40 nickname during it's appearance at Le Mans in June of that same year. Much like the Ferrari "Daytona," it was never officially desingated the GT40, hence, the name was never a Ford trademark to begin with.

7. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    interesting. i guess these guys must have trademarked it then when ford didn't.

if the story is to be believed...

thanks wayne!

doody!

8. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    ferraripete, you've got a PM.

9. ferraripete

thanks kenny!

pcb

10. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    No I have not seen an ERA in the flesh. I did what you probably have been doing and thought about a GT40 replica and thus searched the internet. There are lots of really good kits, but to me the ERA stands out for going the extra mile with the monocoque chassis ... this makes it very close to a copy not a look a like.

I am not aware of any ERA chat site, but there are plenty of replica (even GT40) sites ... try:

http://www.gt40s.com/links.html heaps of links.

Pete

11. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    My pleasure, just keep me updated; I head to school the 18th so anytime before then..

12. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    I believe they were marketing their version of the car as the "F40 MkV."

13. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I've seen an ERA - very nice work too. the guy had it out at motorsport ranch. said the only thing that was non-replica about it was the air vents in the rear of the cabin.

he didn't push it out there, because being on the ground, more so than even most f-cars, he was just excited to drive the thing on the track, as it felt blazing fast. also, in order to get in the car, you must open up the door all the way, step and stand on the seat and then slide in, then closing the door. a bit more difficult, but with the overhang on the door, it might appear obvious, but really, there is no other easy way in the car. this is something that magazines and videos don't really comment about.

14. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    If you go to the site Pete posted and click home you'll learn a lot. You'll also notice I've posted there as well.
    There are several good replica's but they're all different and there's some new important info re CAV that is discussed on that site.
    MKII's are a different kettle of fish and the only one I'd consider is the one Lee Holman makes.
    The trans is the main issue and although several claim to have T44's Lee is the only one I know that really does. He a friend and a great person.
    The T44 he's made is patterened off of my box so I know it's correct.
    I also know Nick and have seen the CAV's in White Plains. Nick's a friend as well.
    Doody
    Don't believe all you read.
    Wayne
    It's a bit more complex than that. All is soon to become clear. For the time being I can't say more.

15. ferraripete

jim, thank you for your input. i did go to gt40s.com and did see your posts there as well...i think like psk, i will need to bone up a bit. you are correct about the car that lee makes and it even comes with a great story as to how they came to be...law suit and all! jim i have not seen lee in a year but do you know if the old shop has finally been shut down? the charlotte airport was in the process of taking the property to accommodate a new runway. sad, as holman and moody was huge in fords racing history and each time i went in the shop, i could feel the spirit of ken miles and others!!! really a special place!!!! thanks for the info guys.

pcb

16. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Okay yes the Holman cars would be definitely superior to anybody elses as they made the originals. Fun I did not find their site when I last poked around ... must have been working too hard :)

Could not get any closer to an original could you.

Note they have an original MkII team car for sale ...

Pete

17. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

I have been to the ERA fctory. They had a complete car in for some minor work, it was outstanding. They like to call them recreations. As for trans & engines you can provide them to ERA or they have sources. Long waiting period for a complete car with everything, about 2 1/2 years Cost about 140K.

I will say the folks there were great, took me for a tour and spent time discussing several options.

18. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Lee is set up in his new shop, Tele # is same. There is also a CAV for sale at AutoSports in NY (LI) Tom Popadouplis another friend.

19. ferraripete

thank you all. i will begin spending some time on gt40s.com as i really think an era will be my next toy! i will keep you all up to speed on my progress.