What recourse for shoddy repair work? | FerrariChat

What recourse for shoddy repair work?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by greg512tr, Jan 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. greg512tr

greg512tr Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 19, 2002
    Dallas TX
    Full Name:
    Greg B
    What remedy do I have against an independent Porsche/BMW repair shop that has done some very shoddy work the past couple years? Most of this poor work did not come to light until over a year later when I took these cars to other shops that uncovered their mistakes. Example-Replaced iginition module in porsche-Charged me $879 for $350 worth of parts. Also did not install turbo correctly (leaked oil due to not using a gasket) and a host of other just poor quality work. I spent about $13k over three years with them. I thought my BMW was running a bit hot during the summer and wanted it checked out while it was in the shop. Replaced the radiator without even asking me if I wanted to spend the money. There are shops that know what they are doing and shops that just start replacing parts and the customer pays to educate them on repairing cars.

Wondered what the options are prior to me confronting them in person. Better Business Beureu? Stand outside their shop with a sign that warns potential customers that they might be getting ripped off? Other than the exorbant mark up on some parts I am not sure if they are just incompetent or theives. Suggestions?

2. kenny

kenny Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2003
    Greenwich , CT
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    A) The screw up couldn't have been that bad if you went to him for 3 years and spent $13k !!! Just curious, why did it take so long to figure out something is wrong if they were so grossly negligent??

B) How credible is the new shop accusing the old shop of poor work?? Most mechanics I know think they're better than their competitors..

C) It's almost impossible to prove negligent work a year later after it's been performed since a driven car can develop problems regardless if one problem was fixed correctly.. Another problem on a car, may cause premature failure of the problem that was originally fixed...

D) Are you sure the shop forgot to put in a turbo gasket, or just neglected to replace the old one... if you forget to install something like that, I would think the difference is noticeable immediately...

E) BMW's are notorious for coolant problems, like radiators bursting (since they're plastic) thermostat housings cracking (once again plastic) and water pumps disintegrating...

F) I don't trust more than half the authorized dealerships in my area to perform work other than simple oil changes and tune ups,,, yet, they seem to be alive and kicking doing very well....

3. greg512tr

greg512tr Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 19, 2002
    Dallas TX
    Full Name:
    Greg B
    A) Just curious, why did it take so long to figure out something is wrong if they were so grossly negligent??

I am not sure they are "grossly negligent, but when I found they added 100% markup on parts I looked back at all my reciepts. I did not know the issues untill I had the cars taken to the other shops. Lots of little things they dinged me for.

B) How credible is the new shop accusing the old shop of poor work?? Most mechanics I know think they're better than their competitors..

The Porsche shop is very credible. Too bad it too me so long to finally find it.

C) It's almost impossible to prove negligent work a year later after it's been performed since a driven car can develop problems regardless if one problem was fixed correctly.. Another problem on a car, may cause premature failure of the problem that was originally fixed...

Good points. I may just ***** about the excessive cost of the part that needs replacement again. Unfortunately I did not ask for my original part the first time to ensure they actually replaced it.

D) Are you sure the shop forgot to put in a turbo gasket, or just neglected to replace the old one... if you forget to install something like that, I would think the difference is noticeable immediately...

It was a slow leak that was masked by the fact that typical oil consumption on a 93 Porsche is subjective.

F) I don't trust more than half the authorized dealerships in my area to perform work other than simple oil changes and tune ups,,, yet, they seem to be alive and kicking doing very well....

I am much less trusting than I used to be. Probably venting more than anything. Getting tired of having to return the cars back numerous times to get the problems fixed. I finally found a couple shops that are good.

4. kenny

kenny Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2003
    Greenwich , CT
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Sorry, hope you find a good mechanic who's a nice guy...

When I moved to VA, I went on www.bimmer.org for advice on a good mechanic in my area... It helped a lot, for I have found a better mechanic down here, with better prices than the one I been going to for years in NY... Maybe you can do the same with your Porsches and ask the Porsche site like www.roadfly.org or renntech.