R&R of 308GTS "roof" trim, how ? | FerrariChat

R&R of 308GTS "roof" trim, how ?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by nevpugh68, Nov 5, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nevpugh68

nevpugh68 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Ashby de la Zouch, UK
    Full Name:
    Neville Pugh
    Could someone furnish me with a description on how to remove and replace the three bits of cream trim (2 vertical, one horizontal) that are behind the drivers/passengers head on a 308GTS (1980 carb) please ?

These are the bits I mean (see image, sorry about poor quality)

2. nevpugh68

nevpugh68 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Ashby de la Zouch, UK
    Full Name:
    Neville Pugh
    p.s. I mean to say "thanks in advance" but then got all flustered wondering whether my upload had worked or not ;)

3. Zigno

Zigno Karting

On my '78 308 GTS the interior "A" pillar panels just popped off when a new windshield was installed. Perhaps the small rear panels are fastened the same way. Glass shop carefully pried them off. Two ball tipped studs insert into their respective holes and with a firm push the panels are reinstalled.

4. nevpugh68

nevpugh68 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Ashby de la Zouch, UK
    Full Name:
    Neville Pugh
    Thanks for the reply Zigno :) Lets hope they're that easy, it's just that I didn't want to go forcing stuff off only to find out that's not the way :)

5. Zigno

Zigno Karting

Tell you what Nev, if I may call you that, two of those same panels on my car are a little chewed up and could use recovering so I will attempt to remove one this evening and report the results.

6. nevpugh68

nevpugh68 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Ashby de la Zouch, UK
    Full Name:
    Neville Pugh
    You most certainly can call me that, er, Zig :)

Many thanks, I would appreciate that, though don't break anything on my behalf !

p.s. 65 previous cars total ?!?!?

7. Zigno

Zigno Karting

Nev, our panel configurations are a little different in that my car doesn't have the horizontal panels. The window surround is one big piece with one vertical panel on each side. However I was able to remove the driver's side panel with a putty knife and a bicycle tire iron. To confirm how it was attached I slipped the putty knife under the panel and felt around for the two studs. It turns out the studs are plastic. Then carefully pried until I had enough clearance to insert the tire iron for better prying leverage. Popped right off. And better yet, it snapped right back on! The vinyl is just glued on the back. Looks like the hardest part of this fix will be finding the right shade and texture of the replacement vinyl. And thanks for bringing it up. Always nice to put something on the "to do" list that is easy, cheap, and makes the car better.

8. Zigno

Zigno Karting

Ooops. I just looked at your pic again. Our panels are the same. I was thinking you had 5 total instead of 3. My big one appears to be held on by a combination of visible screws and the above mentioned studs.

9. Gianluca

Gianluca Formula Junior

May 6, 2003
    Centreville, Virgini
    Full Name:
    Gianluca Chegai
    nevpugh68,

the two vertical small panels, have 2 (each) plastic "push-in" (?) pins. You just pry them off.
    Then you will see a rivet (on each side) holding the large, horizontal panel. You must drill this out.
    This panel, beside the rivets, has 3 flat "pronges" in the top of the back that will "slip" in the frame in the rear of the car.
    You have to take out the 2 top latches.
    Also the small triangular pieces all the way in the rear must come out. In order to do this, the windows have to come out to gain access to a couple of rivets .
    Just push to bottom of the windows from the inside and "work" the whole assembly (window and rubber gasket) out. It will be very easy.
    I took the louvers out to have better visibility.
    At this point the whole top will just pull out.
    Please do not be scared with the re-installation of the windows. The whole trick is to use a bit of vaselline or, as someone else suggested, a bit of silicone spray. I use a tiny amount of vaselline and fashioned a small "hook" tool to help me guide the rubber back in place. 5 minutes.

Good luck,

Gianluca

10. Gianluca

Gianluca Formula Junior

May 6, 2003
    Centreville, Virgini
    Full Name:
    Gianluca Chegai
    Can only post 1 pict. per reply ! ?

11. Gianluca

Gianluca Formula Junior

May 6, 2003
    Centreville, Virgini
    Full Name:
    Gianluca Chegai
    Ok, this has nothing to do with you post. I just wanted to show the old color (left) and the new (center/right)

12. nevpugh68

nevpugh68 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Ashby de la Zouch, UK
    Full Name:
    Neville Pugh
    Thanks Zigno and Gianluca.

I was kind of afraid / suspecting that the rear windows might have to come out. Though you make it sound easier than I was thinking it might be.

Gianluca ... is that a rust hole on the first photo ? If so, what a funny place to go ?! (must be the seal or something)

Also, is that some kind of leather 'paint' you've used there ? A bold step to change your centre console from black (?) to cream, but it looks good. How is it wearing ? (or have you only just done this).

Once again, thanks, that's given me all the info I need to tackle this (scary windows included :))

13. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Just as an added note - On this piece on the 328, the top is a plastic plug in while the bottom is a small screw.

14. Gianluca

Gianluca Formula Junior

May 6, 2003
    Centreville, Virgini
    Full Name:
    Gianluca Chegai
    The round hole in the first photo is the hole the plastic clip will go in. The other black thingy is some residue from the seal. There is plenty of rust elsewhere, though.

The original color was the tan and not black. I have used the Leatherique products to change over to the Magnolia color. It is a dye but it surely acts as a paint.
    I have just done it but it would seems to be a fairly durable system. The best part is that the dye can be re-applied if it gets scratched or damaged, quite easily.

The whole back shelf was re-done in leather as my original cloth was a bit "tatty".

I would not let the window removal process stop you from doing the job.

Gianluca

15. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Gianluca-

How did you have the cloth replaced with leather? Did you have it done, or do it yourself?

16. nevpugh68

nevpugh68 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Ashby de la Zouch, UK
    Full Name:
    Neville Pugh
    Good question, as I've just found out that Ferrari dont sell these pads whole ... you buy the plastic "shell" and the material that stretches over the shell, and to quote Ferrari this morning "get a professional trimmer to put the two together".

Surely it can't be that hard to remove the old material and recover with new material, can it ?

17. Gianluca

Gianluca Formula Junior

May 6, 2003
    Centreville, Virgini
    Full Name:
    Gianluca Chegai
    I did it myself.
    The original cloth had some 1/8" foam under and, on my car, was disintegrated.
    I used any scrap of leather I had and in this case the leather was a very dark brown but it was treated in the same way the rest of the car's leather was: stripped to the un-dyed skin and then re-colored with the same Leatherique product.
    Of course new foam was applied. This whole process was very easy but I am a professional hand bookbinder for the last 28 years and working with leather is second nature to me. Nevertheless, I think that anyone thinking to do this would find it to be very easy (although a little time consuming).

If you search the old board, you will find all kind of posts about all the above. If you need specific help in anything, just ask.

Gianluca

18. Gianluca

Gianluca Formula Junior

May 6, 2003
    Centreville, Virgini
    Full Name:
    Gianluca Chegai
    This picture is of the large, top piece.
    Nice foam, isn't it?

19. Gianluca

Gianluca Formula Junior

May 6, 2003
    Centreville, Virgini
    Full Name:
    Gianluca Chegai
    Here various shelf part being cleaned of the old glue/foam residue.
    I am sorry but I can not tell you what product I use to perfectly remove all the stuff. That's my secret.

20. Gianluca

Gianluca Formula Junior

May 6, 2003
    Centreville, Virgini
    Full Name:
    Gianluca Chegai
    This is a detail of the large, top piece. Notice the rivets and the small lip at the rear which is eventually hidden by the small triangular pieces.
    Also notice the dirt, rust and the old insulation. All that was taken care of as best as I could. The insulation was replaced, however.

21. nevpugh68

nevpugh68 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Ashby de la Zouch, UK
    Full Name:
    Neville Pugh
    Gianluca, once again you've been a most helpful mine of information, for which I thank you :)

I think I'm going to pop one of my side pieces off tomorrow and see what it's like underneith ... (probably similar)