Leatherique rejuvinator, last advice ? | FerrariChat

Leatherique rejuvinator, last advice ?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by ze_shark, Dec 30, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    I am about to undertake my year end vacation project, Leatherique rejuvinator oil treatment on my 355 crema interior. I've read the instructions on their site, will do that in heated environment, etc ...
    However, I am still a bit nervous at putting this oil on my white seats and getting it wrong.
    I searched the forum and found several examples where the rejuvinator oil is praised and the results look stunning (sometimes as a result of dying the leather, which I won't do).

Any last piece of advice ?

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    If you still have any concerns, you should consult with Leatherique. My last bit of advice would be to treat a small area such as the back of the lower seat cushion, leave it on for a day, then clean with the Prestine Clean. This will help you access the amount of darkening (if any) and amount of dye that may come off (if any). After, leave it for another day to really judge the results. If all is good, then do the entire interior.
    In other words, no harm to proceed with caution.

3. NC348

NC348 Karting

Feb 18, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    James I. Movich
    the oil works great. i had (very) poor results with the dye, but te oil is wonderful, and i need to get some more soon.

a little is good, more is better. put it on by hand and massage it in well. how much it soaks in is dependent on how dry it is and the overall condition of the leather itself. if it is sealed, it is harder.

4. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    No worries with the oil - It won't hurt anything. I'm glad you took the seats out - Will prevent spilling any oil on the carpet & just makes the job easier. Are you looking to just clean your seats or are you also trying to get them softer?

5. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    George, the distributor, is a member of this site - just bought a TR I think not long ago.

Love this stuff...However, what is not on the instructions or on his web is to use plenty of water when wiping off. Warm water and a towel and plenty of it.

I found out about the water from a freind on a auto detail site where George cam out to help him do his car.

Fantastic stuff and will not use any other product on my leather.

6. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    After the first night under relatively warm temperatures for the season (I started with a small portion of the driver seat, it has been sitting in a small restroom with the heater on all night), I see no worrying signs.
    This was not the dirtiest area by far (lower rear part of the back rest), it's still a bit sticky but not oily anymore, I think I'll wash it off with mildly warm water and proceed with the rest of the seat.
    I plan to do both seats and take advantage of the empty cabin to do all the rest of the interior, especially the remote parts around the C pillars.
    Pics to come once I am done.
    Thanks again for the advice.

7. David G

David G Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Switzerland
    Hi ze_shark,

I am doing exactly the same thing with my NSX seats ! ;)

Have fun with yours,

8. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Is that food wrapping cellophane that you used to prevent evaporation ?
    Seat is sitting in the bathroom at 29degC/85degF, but we did the entire interior and it's in the garage with a heater fan in it, wondering if I should put plastic on it to prevent evaporation (can't imagine the mess ...)

9. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Instructions talk about cleaning up the oil & dirt with prestine clean THEN water, do you mean that the opposite should be done ? Water then prestine clean ?

Tks !

10. David G

David G Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Switzerland
    Yes ! :)

For the moment one seat is done and I am very very happy with the result !

I am going to finish the other tomorrow... I can't wait ! :D

FYI, firstly I did clean the oil and dirt with "Leatherique Prestine Clean" followed by the wiping of the seat with a damp towel and finally with a dry microfiber towel.

11. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Pfew, done. Was worth the time & energy spent, but it's quite a bit of work.
    The end result:

12. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    The dash:

13. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    And the trophy !
    I have three towels dirty like that, all of it coming from the leather. Dirtiest was the black leather, it's amazing to see the amount of dirt that accumulates, and this was just the first Leatherique treatment. I guess that by refining the logistics and technique, I'd get more out.

Anyhow, my interior has been upgraded from "smog grey" to "white creme" :)

14. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland
    Outstanding job, ze_shark -- it looks as good as new!

15. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Looks great shark! Nice job.

16. MRFOTOS

MRFOTOS Karting

May 26, 2003
    Maui, Hi
    WOW nice Job !! looks likenew.

17. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    looks great!

Soon, I'll be doing some S2000 seats from a red to a black, or charcoal gray with leatherique. I'll try to make many notes over the next month on the project with lots of pictures to show the process.

18. Quasimotor

Quasimotor Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Full Name:
    George Avgerakis
    I have really good seats in my 84 308, with 95% of the glaze on them. Only some minor wear on the driver's piping and a few creases on the bolsters (not cracks, but the glaze isn't on the piping or in the bottom of the creases - sort of suedish there). What is the effect of Leatherique Pristine Clean and Rejuvenator, respectively, on the glaze (does it penetrate) and what will it do to the suedish piping?

19. LRPMAN

LRPMAN Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Aiken S.C. & FL.
    Full Name:
    George Pavlisko
    Gee I love to see the results when folks do it right! GREAT JOB!!
    Take Care
    George P.

20. Quasimotor

Quasimotor Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Full Name:
    George Avgerakis
    I'm interested in getting Pristine and Rejuvenator, but how much do I need to do two seats, center console and doors on a typical, really good condition 308?

21. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

The Leatherique FAQ
    http://www.leatherique.com/faq.htm

says a pint should be adequate for a car in good condition.

22. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Actually, I ended up using quite a bit less than that.
    Ordered 1 liter of Oil and 2 liters of cleaner (1 liter = roughly 2 pints), and I used around 0.3L of oil and maybe 0.6L of cleaner to do the 355.
    Considering shipping costs, I would keep the 1:2 ratio and order enough for several iterations.