Poll was closed - but I will pay for Fchat! | FerrariChat

Poll was closed - but I will pay for Fchat!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by mike550, Nov 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mike550

mike550 Formula Junior

Aug 20, 2003
    California - LA & SF
    Full Name:
    Mike G
    Rob - by the time I got my registration figured out and could post the poll was closed.

For the record I will gladly pay any amount you deem appropriate. This forum has enriched my life and provided invaluable information and entertainment (Gary Green et. al).

I agree the members make it valuable but it could not be done without your sweat and drive.

I think you should not only cover your costs but make some nice coin off of this. Who would complain about $30 a year or less? Some state that the money is not the issue - but the principle? Give me a break - they are complaining about the money and likely complain about the cost of a newspaper or magazine subscription. I get more info from this forum than any subscription. And I agree - they can't seem to grasp that they can still have much of the forum for free.

And I will pay via PayPal if it helps simplify things on your end - I know the last thing you need is to process 3,000 checks, cash, foods stamps or otherwise manually.

keep up the great work!

And the new format is really growing on me already. Love the enhancements.

2. Sarc

Sarc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    USA
    I second that. The modifications are are a fantastic improvement!!!

3. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Food stamps? Rob will take Food stamps?

4. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    What's really scary is "or otherwise manually"

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I would just be happy with central A/C, Heat, and no duck tape on the windows. Could also use a garage.

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    The house. This is the good side, the back side wasn't repainted.

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I love this house, it's so funny. Everyone needs to visit when they're in town. Rob S. just came to visit when he was in town.

This is the beautiful back side. Here's some funny things you can see in this pic...

1) The side front porch had it's supports rot out. The first week we're in the house the satellite guy comes and as I open the door the porch gave way and he fell through about 2 feet to the dirt. I fixed em boards up myself.

2) You can see the back door in this pic. Those little windows had cracked and broke. Yes, that is cardboard covering them up. :)

3) You can see our A/C in the window. Yes, that is duct tape holding it in and sealing the house. My mom calls it the ducttape house.

4) The back right corner is where the shower is. The gray water pipes aren't hooked up. One little shower and we have our own private pond in the back yard.

5) Last, but not least. The house sits up on cement pillars. There is open access under the house kinda like a mobile home. In the short winter we do have we get all kinds of animals. You can be sitting on the toilet reading Forza and there's a raccoon under your feet scratching the floor. This is the house where we have also had a 5.5 ft. Bull Snake and the lizard that jumped in my underwear. :)

8. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    He's not joking boys and girls! Rob is a man with his priorities clearly defined. There's a reason he has 2 Ferraris!

9. AMA328

AMA328 F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2002
    ABQ-67me68-OKC :)
    well, i see why all of a sudden there's a push to *charge* for this board; gotta make payments on the 355 challenge car, eh?

Ain't so much the $$, it's more the principal, as Fchat appeared to be founded on the *free* exchange of ideas, open participation, etc.

maybe it's time for another F site: FerrariFree.com ?

10. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    i'm in agreement, i'd definitely pay to use this site, too... Rob, do you take currency other than USD...? :)

11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    How about, FerrariFreeIfYouPayMy$1200BandwidthCharge.com?

With many more bills like that it won't be worth it, I'll be more than happy to let someone else do it! I'll use thier site, but keep mine around and gather enough money to at least break even, if someone doesn't care that I loose money and time, then F 'em, I don't want those people around anyway. I did this as a free exchange of information, but I made it too good and all of a sudden it's not free for me! AMA328 and others of like mind aren't needed at my expense. We'll continue to prosper without them. FC rocked with only 20 users from the EC days, I would be happy to go back there if the alternative is loosing money and wasting 30 hours a week on this. Man, some people are pathetic.

Yes yea, I know, 95% of you aren't in that boat. Still, you 5% aren't needed.

12. mike550

mike550 Formula Junior

Aug 20, 2003
    California - LA & SF
    Full Name:
    Mike G
    AMA 328. It is a shame you see it that way. I'd like to see you devote as much time and money as Rob has on this forum on a forum of your own. Perhaps then you would understand.

I enjoyed your posts in the old forum. With the number of posts you had, it seemed like you appreciated the participation as well. Now you are grumbling about fees under the pretense of "in ain't the $" but the "principal [sic]" When people say it isn't about the money - it usually is all about the money.

Do you think that Rob should continue to fund this out of his own money and dedicate the substantial time it takes to run this out of the goodness of his own heart?

Anyhow, I wish good luck on your participation in the other free ferrari forums. If you find one as good as this one pop back over and lets us know. Till then bye bye.

13. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    No but he can have the sponsors cover the costs associtaed with running forum like everyother internet forum out there.

14. mike550

mike550 Formula Junior

Aug 20, 2003
    California - LA & SF
    Full Name:
    Mike G
    robiferrtti - "bwah, bwah, bwah - boo, hoo, hoo - I want free stuff - but it isn't about the money ... but I don't want to pay ..."

dude - the nice thing is that participation is voluntary. Have fun on the free forums with AMA328 and JRV.

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    OK, we've had enough discussions on this topic this year. It doesn't cost users anything now, so why worry about it.