Too many clicks to post pics! | FerrariChat

Too many clicks to post pics!

Discussion in 'Report Bugs & Ask Questions' started by Brian C. Stradale, Nov 5, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    To post 40 pics... it took about 16 minutes to play my 15 minutes of video and capture snapshots... it took about 5 minutes to suck them onto the computer and adjust them to size... then it took 2 and half hours to upload them to FerrariChat!!!

The problem is that it takes 8 clicks to upload a pic:
    Upload...
    Browse...
    select the file
    Open
    Add this file
    OK (to error dialog saying the PHP didn't work)
    Add this file (wait for it to upload)
    All done

It would be great to take advantage of our one pic per post "limitation" to greatly simplify this by changing the upload button to go directly to the browse dialog, skipping the add file dialog...

Browse to Upload...
    select the file
    Open

That's it... it uploads directly.

Don't know if that's easy or hard... but if its easy, I'd make it a high priority... don't know if I'll be posting any more pics for a while... my clicker finger is sore. ;)

FWIW,

Brian

2. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=652]Just had $1,200 monthly bill for excess bandwidth...
    FerrariChat.com had 379 GB of traffic last month.

Multiple images are a drain on resources in more ways than one.

A competing Ferrari forum owner posted hundreds of shots - amongst the thousands that were already posted on F-Chat last month. Personally, I believe that Control-Freak competitor did everything he could to cost Rob an arm and a leg by uploading said pics without limits in place - then (technically) downloading them by the simple action clicking on the threads - thus ensuring that charges mounted.

When all is said and done, I've never seen a forum so generous in it's allotments to members to post multiple images on the site itself. But there's a better way to share your photos - with a greater goal - to showcase your interest without distraction, and is less time-consuming.

Create a Yahoo!Geocities site. Post a small, but mouth-watering assortment of pics on F-Chat and direct F-Chatters towards said site. It makes for a much more personal and thoughtful display of your photos, and the pics are immediately accessible by anyone who views your homepage on your profile, or when you direct them to it on subsequent posts. The pics also aren't forgotten in a day as the thread slowly, but surely drifts to the bottom of the pile - which is the downside to posting pics - whether 1 or 100 on a Forum.

3. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    The downsides to your suggestion:

1) If those pics get moved or deleted then the FerrariChat thread gets broken... the pics are essentially unavailable from Fchat.

2) The Fchat members are spending more time looking at Yahoo's advertising banners than at Fchat's advertising banners

3) #2 means the site is less appealing to Ferrari-focused advertisers, which may cost Fchat money

4) Fchat members have to go thru extra links to see pages, and have to endure a variety of less appealing sites and their popups and such

5) If your suggestion makes sense, then it also makes sense to move all of Fchat to a Yahoo Group... that'll save Rob tons of money as he won't have to host *anything*

6) If you keep the F-car pics on F-chat, and then refer the other car forums and other miscellaneous sites to F-chat to see the pics (rather than to Yahoo or wherever), then it increases viewers and thus increases the appeal to advertisers.

Support Fchat NOT Yahoo... ignore Wax. ;)

4. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Your marketing perception is spot-on. No doubt about it - you want an F-Chat Window open so F-Chat sponsors continue to receive hits - the first step to bringing in business - and keeping sponsors.

To that end, traditionally - I've used outside urls - so the F-Chat page is still open. Usually the only time I don't is when looking at potential fixes bugs. If the hyperlink is viewable in it's entirety, I think most folks have enough common sense to right-click and open a new window/page for the link provided.

I also understand your well-based logic of links being broken - particularly due to removal of said image. F-Chat isn't likely to lose said images for obvious reasons.

However, this is what is stated under *What Are Attachments?* on the FAQ page (to view: right click FAQ button at top right & open new page):

"There will be a limit to the file size of any attachments you make, as the board should not be used as an extension of your hard disk!"

That sentence covers size of images only, but it is obvious that it applies to quantities, as well. Hence - the current limit of 1 image per post.

That's what I see, and one reason why I made the suggestion. As mentioned on my previous life story, I also believe it's good to have one's own page to display their interests.

There's a solid chance more images per post will become available, but until the expensive server issues are resolved, I'm guessing he'll wait to have it anything like it was in the wild and wooly month of October.

Images are fun - I just posted one a few minutes ago, in fact. An mid-sized "art imitates life" *F-Chat Troll inside-joke* scan of something I bought last night.

5. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Well, I guess we need Rob to jump in here... my impression from years of being on Fchat is that relevant pictures (pics of Ferraris) are encouraged. In fact, there were forums dedicated to the posting of pictures. If this is not the case, then we really need some guiding principle. If I have 40 pictures of a Ferrari event, should I or should I not post them to Fchat? If I have 20? 10? 5? 2? 1? What is the cut-off?