Keepers Vs. Upgrades | FerrariChat

Keepers Vs. Upgrades

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Ken, Jan 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Which Ferrari models are keepers and which do you trade up? For example, why keep a Mondial 8 if you have the cash to sell it and trade up to a 3.2? Trade in a 308 GTSi for a QV if you have the cash? I KNOW some 308 carb guys would never get a QV; how about you 348 guys? Lusting after a 355 if you could get a deal on a trade? Any 355 guys refuse a 360 if a great trade presented itself?

Some cars like a 246 have no peers; you sell it for other reasons. Same with a Daytona. I think....anyone ever sell a Daytona to get a 512?

Ken

2. flashman

flashman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    Star Valley, Arizona
    Full Name:
    William Rappaport
    Ken,

I have been asked this same question ever since the day I started to put together my own odd assortment of cars. When I origionally purchased my 308 GTSi in 1981, the plan was to keep it a couple of years and trade up to a newer model. That was 23 years ago. I think the answer is, at least with me, a matter of becoming emotionally attached. I fell in love with the car, simple as that. Money was never an issue, and when I found another car that I wanted, well, I bought it. I guess thats how collections are started. At least in my case.
    WillaimR

3. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Good question. My Mondial 8 is OK for now, but I do plan to trade up to a 3.2. I am pretty sure the 3.2 would then be the keeper. If on the other hand other priorites preclude that, the 8 still made the dream come true, and I'd be happy with it.

4. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    My opinion follows:

Modern:
    308 is a keeper (Carbs)
    328 is a keeper (4V FI)
    355 is a keeper for the boy racer and 360 dislikers
    360 is a keeper for the gentleman GT only until the 420 arrives

SuperCar:
    288 is a keeper
    F40 is a keeper
    F50 is not
    Enzo is not

Older:
    365/512BB is a keeper
    512TR is a keeper (TR is not)
    365 GTB is a keeper
    anything running well made before 1965 is a keeper.

5. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Ohhh, very much a “beauty is in the eye of the beholder” kind of question. I think they’re all keepers to someone and everyone will make a different list. I would have a hard time selling my 308…unless I was trading it for a 288 fitted with 5+ liter 12, but I have no interest in a stock one….

6. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i wont trade my 355 for anything...maybe ill add a car at some point but love the 355 too much to give it up

7. ty (360mode)

ty (360mode) Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2002
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    only reasons why i went from a 355 to 360:

1. like the looks of the 360 better
    2. new car, 3 year warranty

other than that, i prefer the feel and drive of the 355. i've often thought of going back to a 355 or just getting a 355 (but that would be silly, right?!?!?!)

8. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron

9. atheyg

atheyg Guest

Any Ferrari is a keeper if the owner thinks its worthy,all Ferraris are rare anyway, some change cars more often than they change underwear with no attachment to them.

I plan on keeping my 328 forever, it has beautiful styling and the classic Ferrari look, plus I have invested much in getting it perfect, it would be very hard to find another Ferrari in similar condition.

I just bought a '77 Porsche 930 and its a blast at 2600 lbs, its a keeper also.

10. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    I'd say that heavily depends on your wifes opinion of if a collection is a good idea!

If we had our choice most of us would keep cars and not trade-up, but there is that divorce factor hanging over our heads and since it is cheaper to just trade in/up the car than trade in/up the wife, the choice is mostly not a choice.

:)

11. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    I can afford a F355, but will not have one over my 348 spyder.
    Reasons...

348 Better looking from the front and side, maybe not the back.
    My 348 has nearly the same power as the stanadrd F355 (365 BHP)
    To many F355 around on the roads.
    Not many 348 spyders seen on roads.
    Th3 348 has better feel through the steering like a go-kart.
    My 348 sounds awesome.

If I did change it would be either a 512TR or 360.

My thoughts only.

12. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    I will keep my 355 Spider as long as i can afford to. The only F car i would consider changing it for would be 360 CS .
    Can't agree at all with Kenyon's comments about 355 vs 348 looks . While i agree 348 Spider's are very rare in UK , to my eyes the 348 looks very dated and Miami Vice. Just my opinion, don't want to start a war !..............
    Tony

13. richanton

richanton Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    I don't think I would ever sell my 308 carb, although I would love to add a 365/512BB. I also think the 512TR is a keeper, and of course the Daytona and F40. That would be the perfect collection for me.

14. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    Tony, No bad feelings. We all love the Ferrari that we own.
    If I could one from each model would be nice. What would I drive.

I never hear good comments about the 348 only bad comments and why is that. The 348 was a great car in its time. I know the F355 is a better Ferrari, but I need to defend my 348 sometimes...

15. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Kenyon,
    my old business ptnr bought a 348 spider from Talacrest in '94 at the same time i bought 993 cab and i drove him down in my car to pick up the 348...... i've never felt so inadequate as when we both set back off on M25 to come back into City.! He nearly caused mutiple pile-ups with all the traffic stopping to have a look at the 348.....i was totally ignored!
    I have no problem with 348 at all it's just that the 355 was the only Ferrari that i lusted after .
    Regards
    Tony

16. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    Tonyh,
    I have never drive a F355 so I guess that why I have never really wanted one. Driven a 512 Tr and 360.

17. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    Tonyh,
    I have never driven a F355 so I guess that why I have never really wanted one. Driven a 512 Tr and 360.

18. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    When we all meet up you can have a go in mine..
    Tony

19. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    [Any Ferrari is a keeper if the owner thinks its worthy,all Ferraris are rare anyway, some change cars more often than they change underwear with no attachment to them].

Agreed!

20. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    I find it hard to believe that someone would even put a list of whats a keeper and whats not. Enzo Ferrari made every car unique and hand built everyone of them, to suggest that a Mod 8 or 348 or 400i is less a ferrari is very insulting (my .02).

I have an 86 TR and a 74 308gtb and excited for my 2004 360 when it arrives next month. I would never trade any of them for a trade up in anyway, luckily I have the means to say this.

The way the ferrari should be looked upon, in my opinion is like my own children. They are all different in their own way and love them equally, as I do my Ferraris, they have their little way of being different but are still hand built and rare. If you mentally need or always wish to trade up buy an NSX.

21. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    I think the reason the 348's get more than their share of bad comments is because of the context of when they came out. The 328 was one of the most loved body styles ever for ANY car, and I know when I first saw the 348 I was very dissappointed in how bland it looked in comparison. The side strakes seemed stuck on and the whole car was boxy. It was the first of the "step backwards" cars in originality for Ferrari. Time has been a little kinder, although to my eye the 355 was a big improvement in spite of being very similar overall. Plus, the early 348's had some well publicized mechanical problems that anti-Ferrari people jumped all over. So I think the car got off to a bad start and some of that still lingers.

Today, I think a well sorted 348 could be a great value to someone without a 360 budget. It's a true Ferrari and has enough power to please most people who aren't serious racers.

Ken

22. Tony Fuisz

Tony Fuisz Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Bethesda, MD
    Full Name:
    Tony Fuisz
    I think for me it would be a money/space thing. I love my 330, but I also would like to own a lusso, boxer, daytona, etc. before I'm too old to shift/need to put my walker in the trunk. Unless the next purchase is a warehouse or a winning powerball ticket, it's likely something would need to go to make room for the next.
    I'd love a black 355 to park next to my 330. In case my wife sees this-they have just such a car at FOW. LOL

23. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    Tony thanks for the offer... If you wish have a go in mine..

24. StoryBook

StoryBook F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 1, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    MPL
    For me I think I would keep my 575M and upgrade my 360 spider when the time comes. The 575M is as close to a daily driver that a modern day Ferrari can be. The 12 cylinders and the rarity make it a keeper for me. Such a joy to drive without all the fanfare. On the otherhand, the spider is just for fun............when the replacement comes out I would be willing to trade up.