North American Auto Show...... | FerrariChat

North American Auto Show......

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by kizdan, Jan 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    This is going to be a special year for the auto show in Detroit.

For the first time in Ferrari's history, they will be debuting a brand new model in North America, the 612 Scaglietti. It continues with Ferrari's modern direction, all aluminum construction, and a chain-driven (no more belt services!!!) V-12 producing 540bhp. I have seen photos, but reserve judgement until I see it in real life.

The rear seats are supposed to be a lot more useable than those that were in the 456. I don't believe there will be a torque-converter equipped automatic transmission, as there was in the 456, rather the latest and greatest in the world of F1 transmissions. I would be surprised if they don't offer a traditional stick.

Also, the North American debut of Maserati's new Quattroporte will take place. Cauley Ferrari Maserati, in Michigan, had one of the Quattroportes destined for the Auto Show on display in their showroom, and I must say.........it is the most stunning 4-door on the planet! Anybody who buys an S-Class Benz, or a 7-Series Bimmer has got to be a fool!

Don't miss the show!!!

2. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Luca said that would never happen under his watch.

3. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I'll be there the last weekend of the show -- 16/17/18. Pls let me know if you or any other F-Chatters want to get together at some point.

DrTax

4. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    QUOTE "Cauley Ferrari Maserati, in Michigan, had one of the Quattroportes destined for the Auto Show on display in their showroom, and I must say.........it is the most stunning 4-door on the planet!"

One more reason to make my way up to West Bloomfield next week :)

5. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    The car is now at the Auto Show, but the Enzo that they have on display is always a treat!

6. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    Is the yellow Enzo still there? I guess Federov hasn't taken it to California with him yet. Fine by me - it is a treat :)

7. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas

8. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    According to the F-rep I met yesterday, 612 allegedly will be in L.A. Tuesday night, on display Wednesday...

9. davequick

davequick Formula Junior

May 27, 2003
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Quick
    I was under the impression the 612 is belt driven. I would LOVE to see it chain driven? has anyone that has seen one imn person been able to get them to pop the hood and look yet? (I know the "private" event in NYC was attended by a couple on this fchat site... anyone see under the hood?)

-dq

10. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    All new Ferraris, from the Enzo onward, will be chain driven, using a variation of the motor in the Maserati (an amazing motor, drive one if you get a chance!). The motor in the Enzo is essentially a Maserati motor with 4 more cylinders, and much higher tuning.

11. mr2speedracer

mr2speedracer Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    Nate
    i can not wait for the show i am going this sat and will get many photos. around 1000:) i will be sure and post a link for every one

12. Sarc

Sarc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    USA
    I'll be there myself saturday EARLY morning! Too bad we don't have that secret "Fchat" pin that was discussed a few weeks back to let each other know who the fellow f-chatter is!

13. eric

eric Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2001
    Albion, CA
    I saw, and photographed the engine, but never thought to ask about belts/chain drive. Looked just like a 550/575 engine to me, but then again, I've never really looked closely at them either. Just noted the red cam and intake covers.

14. RacerNika

RacerNika Karting

Dec 2, 2003
    Indeed the car was unveiled at their press conference this morning. I was shocked to see it wasn't silver or blue but a deep blood red.

Luca was his charming self - the people there amazing - and the car just stunning. My only criticism was the look of peel on the side doors - just a bad/quick paint job? Let me know guys if you see the same.

Other cars to take a peek at - the Aston Martin convertible DB9 Volante I think ( long day sorry). The Daimler Chrysler ME412 "supercar"....oh and the Porsche Carrera GT/Merc B SLR

All in all a facinating show ......I'll be driving back in the 911 turbo Thursday...oh my aching feet

15. mr2speedracer

mr2speedracer Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    Nate
    me to i will try and be there right at 10. it would be cool to have a pin or somthing. if you see a guy with a sony f717 and a bag(i know there my be more then one 18 year old like that) but it may be me so say hi

16. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    anyone know if thre is gonna be any tohere Ferraris there besides teh 612 from one picture i saw it looked like a 360 CS was in teh back ground and i also saw one picture that had a F1 car in it.

17. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I was at the LA auto show tonight and they had the 612 Scaglietti on display. I posted my comments in another thread. I was a little underwhelmed with it. Its nice but its not $250K, Ferrari, wow. Next to the 575 - I would take the 575 no ifs ands or buts. I know the 575 doesn't have 4 seats but just stating an opinion.

18. BrentC

BrentC Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2003
    FYI - I think Dan has some "insider knowledge" of what he speaks. Especially when it's on topics of Cauley Ferrari and Ferrari sales.

19. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    Hey there Dan, Jerry Wiersma here. I'll be coming to the show next week Tuesday, are you going to be there then? Also, let me know if you want a knowledgeable volunteer to help man the Grand Rapids show! Seriously, I would be happy to help out.

20. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    Hi Jerry,

Sorry, I won't be at the show on Tuesday.

I don't know much about the Grand Rapids show, having never been there myself.

21. cavallino

cavallino Formula Junior

Aug 21, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Alain
  22. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    Anyone else hear the 612 at the show was messed up?
    someone on another list posted about it - he mentions some damae to teh car as well as his thoughts on some design elements. .. . here's some of what he had to say..
    "Ferrari 612 Scaglietti. Of course, I'm a fan of 4 seaters but this one left me a little cold. Part of the problem is that the car Ferrari showed looked like it had been bondo'd and painted in a barn. The swoopy door scallop was one big lake of foggy orange peel with the draw lines of the stamping die clearly visible. There was a small dent in the lower door. The panels were ill fitting. It wasn't worthy of an auto show debut. We figured it had been damaged in shipping and hastily fixed, but Ferrari wouldn't own up to anything. To make matters worse, yesterday a big TV camera tripod fell on it. DOH!! Other aspects of the design look awkward, especially the nose. The pseudo pontoon fenders and diamond-shaped headlights on creases that jut forward of the body really remind me of the much cheaper Panoz Esperante.
    Then there's this horrible panel line where the front plastic bumper fascia meets the aluminum body--it cuts right across the nose like the black line of a Crayola marker. The car has a Pininfarina badge on the right front quarter and a "612 Scaglietti" badge on the left front quarter, showing that Ferrari isn't bound by any traditions these days (only F of late to have both a name and number on the body, plus the very unusual asymmetrical badging). The side profile is much better, the dash-to-axle ratio is really big, so it looks quite stretched out with a cab-very-much-rearward shape. Pininfarina did a good job of making a 4 seater look like a 2 seater. The 612 is F's first V-12 car to be made entirely of aluminum. Construction is similar to the 360 Modena; designed partly by Alcoa with aluminum extrusions, flat panels, and stampings joined together by six big sand-cast (by Ferrari) nodes, including two up front at the engine/front suspension mount, two at the door mount/scuttle, and two in the back for the rear suspension pickup. The dash uses the Enzo's cluster, with a big tacho in the center, a smaller speedo to the right, and a big LCD display to the left. The steering wheel is also an Enzo knockoff, with the shift mode and display toggle buttons on the left and the traction disable and sport suspension/ASR setting on the right. Note, this is the very first Ferrari with an electronic yaw control system (welcome to the 1990s, guys!)There's lots more room, especially head room in the front and leg room in the back. I think most people will find the cockpit details meet their fabulousness standards."

there was more but I didn't get permission to forward so figured i'd just post the bits that seemed relevant to this thread..
    Chelle

23. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    It's funny that Maserati came out with yaw control on both the Coupe and the Spyder on their '04 models.....

24. Sharris

Sharris Karting

Mar 19, 2002
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Full Name:
    Sean Harris
    The 612 engine is a developement of the 575M.... It has belts not chains

25. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I thought it was derived from the Enzo's engine vs. the 575M??