Best car your Dad drove | FerrariChat

Best car your Dad drove

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Teenferrarifan, Jan 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    This topic was taken from the old board about 2 years ago. One of Des's first posts. What was the best car your dad had? Did he let you drive it often? Favorite car your dad had? I'll go first my dad has a 355, but I have only driven it once. Favorite car my dad had was the 1993 allante and I used to drive that a lot more often.
    Erik

2. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Because I grew up in the car business, I don't remember my dad ever "having" a car. The one new car that I wanted him to drive home the most was a Chrysler TC convertible. It's the LeBaron Conv. that was built in a partnership between Chrysler and Maserati. The car is a bit laughable today but there was something special about it back then. Maybe it was the acres of soft, aromatic Italian leather inside and the little trident badge inside of the Pentastar. :)

3. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    Cool question, my dad was always into cool cars. He had a Lusso and a Lancia Aurelia when he lived in Italy. Then he got a 1930 Ford Model A, then a Mercedes 450 SEL 6.9, then a Maserati Quattroporte, then a Jaguar XJS V12 convertible, then in his newly aquired and beautiful Rosso Corsa Mondial Cabriolet QV!! He is the reason why I am into cars so bad! :) My dad is cool!

4. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Dad was a dealer (Ford Chevy Toyota)

First memory was Mustang Shelby Mom had as demo

Don't remember it but we killed a Corvair

Had many memories surrounding Galaxie 500 convertable

and throwing chunks in a LTD but that is another story

5. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Lemon Yellow 1960 (?) Austin Healey 100-6 when I was seven years old.

I guess the color stuck with me

DJ

6. Tennlee

Tennlee Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2002
    Great Smoky Mountains
    64 1/2 Mustang - new. Traded for a long line of sedans :(

7. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    I laughed when I saw this thread because I instantly thought of the old Jeep Cherokee my dad had that wouldn't shut off when you tried to shut it down. It would rumble and spit for a good twenty seconds before it would finally sputter out. We called it the TANK.

8. TeenwhoneedsaFerrari

Dec 23, 2003
    Greensboro, NC
    Full Name:
    Blair Salter
    My dad's dad was into Ferrari. He had a 67' 275GTB4 a 308GTB, and a 365GTB4, my dad drove his dad's cars many times. My dad is into Corvettes though. As much as I tried to convince him to buy a 348TS(he even test drove one) he still decided to go with the Corvette because we do the maintanence ourselves. Maintaining a Vette is obviously easier than maintaining a Ferrari. We have a 95 Corvette, and a brand new 2003 50th Anniversary Corvette convertable. I have driven the 95' a bunch, but have yet to drive the 50th. The BEST car i have ever driven is an 01' Porsche 996 cab, six speed..my friends dad has one, he lets us drive it around up at smith mountain lake in the private neighborhood while he goes running. You are quite lucky to have driven a 355, it is a beautiful car, i also like the 328 you have.....how much harder is it to drive a Ferrari than a Porsche??? I also noticed your birthday is october 15th, so is mine. How old are you?

9. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LOL, i did that in my father's '83 Firebird... Not a good day...
    That was his favorite car... At least, i assume it was... i'm pretty sure he liked it more than the brown VW Rabbit he had before that... :)

10. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Strike me dead here, but my dad (GRHS) always bought new, but made sure he had the most basic model he could buy:

'66 2D Chevelle 6 Banger 3 on the tree NO radio No air
    '68 2D Nova 6 Banger 3 on the tree AM radio No air
    '77 Ford Granada 2D V6 (Auto-he jumped into the '70s) No air AM radio

I was probably most butt hurt in life with the Chevelle. He could have financed an extra $1200 for a ragtop with an automatic.

11. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    My dad (RIP) thought a car was transportation, no more.

He loaned me his 1974 Dodge Dart when I first gained my driver's permit.

He was partial, however, to a white Chevy Impala 2 door, 1964, which he let my older brother take away to college. When it broke down, suspension I recall, my brother traded it without permission, for a big Pontiac.

My dad never got his car back, and whenever I see a clean example I think of him. I was going to buy him one "someday", but didn't get the chance.

Last Sunday was his birthday, I sure miss him.

Now MY KIDS, on the other hand, will have a better answer!

12. luke9583

luke9583 Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Detroit Michigan
    Full Name:
    Luke Wells
    01' a6 2.7t

13. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    My dad had an olds 442. Red with white stripes, he's still kicking himself for selling it.

14. racedecknc

racedecknc Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    Winston Salem
    Full Name:
    Ed
    '66 Mustang, '67 442, '69 Chevelle, a whole list of boring stuff, then an '84 Camaro (V8), '86 IROC, now he's into trucks.

Ed

15. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Actually, the 328 is my baby. I stopped by Erik's family's house one day last summer and we snapped some pics.

As far your driving question regarding Porsches vs. Ferraris, I think you'd find that earlier Porsches (993 and older) are trickier to drive than the newer 996 models. They seem to get easier to drive with each generation. Driving a Ferrari seems to be a little more involved than the typical Porsche, but again, it depends on what generation. Today's 360s, 575s, etc are most likely a lot easier to drive than either an older Ferrari or Porsche, but may be more involving than a current model Porsche. My first experience driving a Porsche was with a '77 911 Targa. It was pretty frightening compared to my most recent P-car, a 1995 993 Carrera 4. :)

16. TeenwhoneedsaFerrari

Dec 23, 2003
    Greensboro, NC
    Full Name:
    Blair Salter
    thanks for the info, and i love the color of your 328.

17. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    No problem. And thanks for the compliment. She's an odd bird but I love her! :)

18. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Jensen Intercepter Series 2. Loved driving that car. Probably did more miles in it than Dad. He sold it not long ago after a repaint and some trim work. It was a nice car ... but loved petrol :( Underrated car, very neutral and accelerated hard like any car with a 383 Chrysler will :)

Pete

19. benedict

benedict Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ben
    When I was about ten (1975 or so), my Dad had a Maserati Merak. I remember vividly laying in bed early Sunday morning and he would start it in the garage, causing the entire house to shake. I would just shout "YEAH!" and be out of my pajamas in about two seconds, yelling "Dad, take me with you! I don't care if you're going to 7-11!"
    That was an awesome time!

20. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    My dad had a 76 Vette... Hes still kicking himself for selling it, but he sold it because I was on the way! Any pictures of your Dad's cars guys?

21. Erich

Erich Formula 3

Sep 9, 2003
    Poway CA
    Full Name:
    Erich Coiner
    My Dad was an insurance agent. Cars were transportation.

They were always this close to having a cool car.

54 Chevrolet 2 door. bought new, Mom drove it until I was in high school. If they had waited one year to buy, my High school car would have been a 55 Chevy :(

63 ChevyII aka Nova 6 cyl 3 on the tree

66 Ford Fairlane 289 2V

70 Dodge Coronet 500. 318 Coulda been a Charger or a Challenger R/T but no

73 Ford LTD 4 door.
    After this it just gets too painful

Erich
    I hope I am making better memories for my boys

22. EspritSE

EspritSE Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Craig
    It's a tie....

1957 Ford thunderbird..... 99 point car. One of a handfull with the factory supercharger kit.

1996 993 carrera...... the last of the 'real' 911's. sold it this summer with only 13k on the odo.

23. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Pops isnt into cars like me. Best car he had was either the 2001 audi we used to have or the acura that replaced it. My dad doesnt see the point in spending more the 40k on a car and even if he did i dont think my mother would let him. Just because you have the money for a new ferrari doesnt mean you have to buy one.

24. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    1967 Chevy II SS stripped down with a self built balanced/blueprinted/ported 350 putting out 480-485bhp with $2k in parts and 2 weeks to put together. Edit: He sold it when I was 14, that was almost 13 years ago.

Since then, its been only a work truck, F250xlt's. He wants me to buy a Viper! I said, with 500lbs of torque? His eyes just lit up and he had a huge grin. I will never forget that. I will end up buying him a Chevy II to play with in one or two years. I doubt I'll go the Viper route. Who knows though...

Sunny

25. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Gus good spot for a minute I was thinking about whether my Dad had a 328 and I didn't know it.

Keep them coming!!!!!!

Erik