We are breeding a world of IDIOTS! | FerrariChat

We are breeding a world of IDIOTS!

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Cavallino Motors, Jan 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    I bought my wife one of those photo printers from HP. The printer is setup and the software lacking some driver that it can not find on the disc neither in my systems.

So I call HP tech support to hear a voice telling me I have no more warranty. I bought the printer 2 days ago!
    Then I finally get a life operator (likely from India) who asks my name, and address. Since I hate junk mail I refuse to give her my address. She says she can not get me to a tech without my address and HP will not sell or use my address to send me anything. "So why do you need my address then?" "Procedure is the answer! After trying to explain to her( that is the supervisor I am speaking to now) that this is rediculous I finally give her the Whitehouse as my address. 1500 Pennsylvania Ave (sp?, thank God she did not ask me to spell that :)). Now she is happy and GWB will get my HP offers. I am sure he'll be happy :)

While I am writting this I am still on hold with them. "The technician will be with you soon....", well they might wait till my warranty expires I guess.

Why don't we have intelligent people in this world?

2. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Martin, you're forgetting something. The intelligent people aren't the ones answering phones.

3. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    The same people are found at:

1) Burger Kings
    2) McDonald's
    3) Taco Bell
    4) Dell
    5) WalMart
    6) KMART
    7) Radio Shack
    8) Bowling Alleys
    9) KFC
    10) McDonald's (worthy of two entries)
    11) Starbucks
    12) Restaurants
    13) Gary Greens phone book
    14) Best Buy
    15) FRY'S ELECTRONICS
    16) At my door wearing a suit with bibles
    17) Gas stations
    18) 7/11's
    19) Just about every store in every mall
    20) Theme parks

Shall I continue?

4. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO

5. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    LOL That one i will belive. A co worker had so much problems with his Dell that he gave up and shot it after the warranty was out and sent it back to them. They called him and asked him if there was something wrong with it LOL

6. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    ROFL.

7. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    So true, especially out here with all the momo's.

8. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Martin,
    Check what operating system you are using and what model printer you have, then get on the web and go to HP's website. All of their printer drivers are available for download. Don't waste your time on hold.
    Rgds,
    Faisal.

9. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    Martin,

Ditto....HP has a good website to navigate to this stuff...

10. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory
    In my neck of the woods Burger King is bad, really bad. If they could just speak english maybe they could take your order.

11. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Peters, are you forgetting that all the people on your list took their training at the DMV?

12. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Horsefly..AND the Post Office!

13. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    COME ON!!! No one mentioned United Airlines or SBC! My favorite are the ones with the drool AND the chips on their shoulders (everyones favorite cop rejects) ... Parking enforcement!

DL

14. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    UPDATE:::

after being on hold 45minutes with them I had some Indian tech to help me. They forward those calls to India into a call center in Bombay. Well that has cost HP a pretty penny.

The tech tells me to go to the webiste and download it. The download takes 10 minutes on my highspeed connection. I install it after deinstalling the disc software, and bling, same file can not be found.

Well here is what I did:

unplugged my cables, shoved it in the box and trew all my crap on top of it. Did I mention I bought two, one is a present for a friend?
    So tomorrow it goes back to Office Max and a Canon will be tried. HP just lost two sales. Now I remember why i did not want to buy another HP after my last one.

Well Apu, you were not really helpful. But then there is no 1500 P Ave after all. :)

15. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Man! What a pain in the rear! I couldn't resist with the White House ribbing though!

Is the Canon of the same quality?

16. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    And good thing you didnt give your friend all of that hassle! ;)

17. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    actually, not likely. those are jobs where personelle are necessary to keep in house. jobs like hp tech support can be outsourced to someone who doesn't speak english, doesn't live in this country and most of all, doesn't have technical skills.

this isn't to blanket the entire field of outsourcing, but for the most part - it is true when it comes to outsourcing technical calls. (I'll leave software development for another rant)

18. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
  19. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Martin,

A Canon printer will not fare any better if your OS is missing something needed by the printing "subsystem." And if you have already opened the ink-cartridges, Office Max could give you a hard time about the return.

From what you have written, I don't think the problem lies with the printer. It sounds like your OS is missing some file. What is the error message and what is your OS? Post it here and I could try to help you.

The error message should also tell you where it's expecting to find the file, ie. Error: Could not locate c:\windows\system32\file.xyz. Look for that file with google, and if you find it, try putting it where the OS is expecting to find it.

Give it a shot. It's not much more to try when you consider the time wasted unpacking, trying to install, holding for tech support, repacking, and the trips to Office Max.

Rgds,
    Faisal.

20. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Horsefly...That picture was funny enough........... then I realized it was MY office! LMAO!!!

21. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Actually, 1500 Pennsylvania Ave is the Treasury Dept.. :) That's about 2 blocks from the hotel I live at. I'll stop by and get your junk mail if you want ;)

On topic, the guy who sits next to me at work was on the phone with his company's (Accenture...) tech support for about an hour, yelling at everyone there. Turns out they outsourced to India a while back. Poor tech guy didn't even know what Accenture's intranet site was... couldn't fix the guy's password without even knowing their main portal for internal information. Sad world we've come to...

-R

22. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
  23. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Mark E had a post on the old boardwhich made sense of how there could be so many idiots in the world. In a nutshell, it uses some pretty basic statistics suggest that if your IQ is 130, 84% of the population appears retarded to you, 50% of that population appear appearing severly retarded. The argument is based on a normal distribution of IQ's, with 50% of IQ's begin above 100, and 50% below. It is so intriguing because it suggests that since an iq of 85 is retarded, anyone with an IQ 15pts lower than you will seem retarded. An iq of 70 is severly retarded, so a person with an iq 30 pts lower (if your IQ is 130, this number is 100) would seem severly retarded to you.

24. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Martin, i thought 1600 pennsylvania ave ws your address.

25. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Based on that criteria, 98% of the population has dain bramage.