Need Advice | FerrariChat

Need Advice

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Bart, Jan 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bart

Bart Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Orange County, Calif
    Full Name:
    Bart
    I just got back from my dealer. I need two tires in the rear. The dealer told me I should get four tires as a set rather than just two. Does this ring true?

Also, I am have the rear wheels adligned not to factory requirements but to have them set for straight driving, not twisties. I am a freeway driver. Makes senses????

I get to drive to San Francisco next Friday up I-5 and Sunday I will be coming home on 1. Fun - Fun - Fun!!!!

2. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Bart, I usually replace four tires at a time. Sounds reasonable to me.

3. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Yes, all 4 - there was a bit of a horror story on the old board about a 2-tire replacement. Best to consult with actual owners on best recommendations for replacements. Get an alignment while you're at it.

Aside: Widely available are tires that are fantastic for Porsche, but not Ferrari, as this excellent topic and reply from Mitch Alsup can attest

Can you post what your rim/current tire set-up is on your 550?

4. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Hang on a minute why do you need to replace all 4? No other car needs to have perfectly good front tyres binned just because the rear has worn out!

You should always replace in pairs so that that end of the car is even (grip level and ride height, etc. including diff effort), but I can really not see any reason whatsoever for having to replace ALL 4 tyres.

Please explain, because quite honestly I think you guys have been sold a con to rip you off.

I used to track a lot and replacing 2 tyres was an extremely common thing to do ... no matter what vehicle right up to ex-Le Mans Porsches, infact if you simply flat spotted a new slick then replacing one was also common ... but I am getting off the subject. A road tyre should wear similar to the other side and thus you should replace in pairs.

I'll be watching and waiting ... :)

Pete

5. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    What kind of tires do you have?
    Are they still made?

Do you drive on the track?

If you don't drive on the track and your tires are still made, then there is absolutely no reason to replace all four... I would replace both on an axle, though.

If you do drive on the track OR your tires are no longer made, then the question will require more detail.

6. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    Agree, absolutely no need to do all four at the same time. Check them before you replace them. Also, make sure you're not getting ripped off for the tires. A lot of dealers put an obscene markup on tires. If your profile is correct and you have stock tire sizes on the 550 then your options would be (for matching 255/40-18 fronts and 295/35-18 rears) prices are what a retail price IMHO would be:

Bridgestone Potenza S-02s ($220/$280)
    Michelin Pilot Sport ($305/$350 for Z rated, $280/$350 for Y rated)
    Pirelli PZero Rosso's ($230/$300)

The Bridgestone rear and Pilot Sport rears are backordered right now from my source so there's always the possibility that the dealer is trying to sway you to do all four because he can't get just the rear two.

Definitely check the tire for yourself before you buy all four.

7. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    I should have said Pilot Sport Z rated are backordered, the Y rated are not.

8. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E