Warning about Orme Brothers Brake Lines: Good service, wrong lines | FerrariChat

Warning about Orme Brothers Brake Lines: Good service, wrong lines

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Mike328, Jan 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    (Sigh). I finally got around to installing the lines I ordered from Orme Brothers, www.ormebros.com.

Reference Thread:
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=942&highlight=brake+lines

Grrr!! There are two problems.

1. The rear lines are two or three inches too long.
    2. The fittings themselves are INCORRECT! They do not have either the correct EXTERNAL thread pitch (For the 23/24mm nut that secures the line) OR the correct INTERNAL thread pitch (for the hydraulic hard line to insert into).

PISSES ME OFF!

Now don't get me wrong. I'm going to get on the phone tomorrow and I'm sure Orme Brothers (Johnny) will replace them with the correct set. I have no f'n idea WHAT car he thought he was building for but it sure as **** wasn't a Ferrari 308.

Basically, he probably needs a specification to build to, and that's fine. (He thought he did have the spec.). That means he needs one of my brake lines. Great! Now if I could only figure out how to REMOVE it I'd be golden.

Just FYI. I'll follow up when this gets sorted out.

2. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    mike i have spent the last few weeks doing master cylinders, boosters and stainless lines on some of my 25+ year old cars. i used marvel mystery oil and or PB blaster on the fittings with the proper line wrenches to get off the lines without destroying them. the proprtioning valves were a real pain to get out . these arent fcars but a old car is a old car. you dont need to use a lot of the oil as you dont want to get it on the brake pads. let it soak and it will help i promise. good luck. michael

3. Jax8308

Jax8308 Rookie

Nov 12, 2003
    N.J.
    Full Name:
    Jack B.
    Mike,

Same problem I had with the kit from Demon-Tweeks. The Goodridge US kit # 27001 fixes this. This kit has rear lines which are shorter. I installed mine without issue.

I saw in your other post the difficulty with the inside nuts and lines. It is a very tight fit trying to bend the security tab and remove semi rusted nuts and lines. I actually removed the A-Arms to make it easier. I was going to replace all of the rubber with the ES bushings anyway. The lack of access to the inner brake lines made me do it sooner than later.

Jack

4. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    So I talked to Joel at ORME BROS today.

He SAID that I do have kit #27001, that those are the specs they were built to.

There are two short ones and two longer ones. The short ones he sent are the exact length of the front. The other ones are waaaay to long for the rear by, I'd say, four inches.

Also. He said that they were supposed to provide new nuts, which are finer threaded to match the outside hex fitting of the brake line, which they did not do. So that's part of the problem.

Now, I was unable to get my hydraulic hard "s" lines to thread into the inside of them, but that may be my issue. He said 1.0 thread 10mm, which seems to be correct.

This guy Joel seemed surprised that they weren't correct... Also, on the Ferrari Owners' site, there's a note for the rear lines on the part number to "Check Length"! I'm wondering if there was a running change on these cars that used different lengths... Because my lines are SHORT!

In any case, I'm sending them back by stuff and they're re-fabricating to the spec of my lines.

Will report back...

5. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    The goodridge kit I got from Demon Tweeks UK for my 328 fit fine, no leaks or problems (so far) and I like the improved, harder brake feel.

6. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    If you have problems with ss lines I have a fabricator to do just that. I think about $250 for all 4 lines was the last one done. If anyone wants to see them on my 348 let me know. Also, the ss hard lines are delicate. You are going to change out old rubber hose anyway. So use wd40 on the connection then heat with a propane torch to suck the wd into the joint. Then us a proper wrench to remove. This always works.