Introduction | FerrariChat

Introduction

Discussion in 'Arizona & New Mexico' started by flashman, Jan 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. flashman

flashman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    Star Valley, Arizona
    Full Name:
    William Rappaport
    I just wanted to introduce myself to the local Arizona FerrariChat folks, and let you all know that I look forward to being a part of this great group. I have owned my 308GTSi since new for 23 years, and do a majority of the service myself. If there is anything I can help with along the way, let me know.
    WillimR

2. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    Welcome aboard! Any pictures of your car(s)? What color are your 308 & Diablo?

3. bigbaddad

bigbaddad Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    John Roberts
    Welcome! There is a ton of great info here. Are you active with the FerrariAZ group? They have a fair number of events coming up.

-John

4. flashman

flashman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    Star Valley, Arizona
    Full Name:
    William Rappaport
    No decent pictures yet (I need a good digital camera), the 308 is a special color I ordered from the factory. Russo Barchetta, it was the origional color Enzo first painted his cars, and it is spectacular! It is a real deep ruby red. My Lambo is Fly Yellow, it looks like a big banana (or should I say Lemon). Unfortunately, it seems to always have something going wrong.

5. flashman

flashman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    Star Valley, Arizona
    Full Name:
    William Rappaport
    Not really, I havn't had a lot of free time lately, but look forward to the up-coming auctions. I really did not know there was even a FerrariAZ group until I joined in on FChat. It would be great to meet others in the area that have the same addiction.
    WilliamR

6. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    You wouldn't happen to of been driving on McKelips road maybe a month ago in East Mesa would you? also, www.ferrariaz.com

7. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Hello,Flashman,and all the rest of the Arizona Contingent. I live in the Chicago 'Burbs. But,pretty much all of my family lives in Phoenix,( 2 Brothers,Granny,Uncle,Cousins) Scottsdale,(Mom and Step Dad) and PV,(Brother). I visit several times a year,and plan on moving out there Full time in a few years. Can't now because of too many committments here right now. But,will be looking to purchase a condo or house out there sometime this year so that I can be out there more. Anyway,right now,I have a Red/Tan,1981 308GTSi,S/N 35317. It was built in January of 1981. Had one local owner who put 14,250 miles on it in that time. I bought it in January of 2001. What S/N is yours,Flashman? And,am also looking at getting a Testarossa this year. Maybe to keep out there for when I visit. Right now,we just had about 6"-8" of snow,and a few days of Sub Zero temperatures. My car is put away for the Winter,while you guys are enjoying 70's and able to drive year 'round.

8. flashman

flashman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    Star Valley, Arizona
    Full Name:
    William Rappaport
    No, that wasn't me, I have only run across two other 308's since I have been here the last 10 years, believe it or not. A black one that is owned by one of my neighbors up the road, and a red on that I see now and then here in No. Scottsdale.
    WilliamR

9. flashman

flashman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    Star Valley, Arizona
    Full Name:
    William Rappaport
    Burrrrrrrrrrr. I have to be in Chicago next month for a meeting, hope it warms up a bit. I have really learned to live in shorts and tee shirts out here. I bought my Russo/Tan 1981 308 GTSi in July of 1980, but did not actually take delivery until late February of 81. I also am interested in a Testarossa. I am just waiting to see if that market is going to tank any further. Have you had a chance to drive one?
    WilliamR

10. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    No,never drove one,just sat in one. I'm a big guy,and like the bigger Testarossa. Some guys complain that they are Tooo big. I don't think so. Plus,I must also have a 12 cylinder Ferrari. I have the '81 308,and a Hot Rodded '91 'Vette as my daily. (Have owned 7 assorted 'Vettes and a Porsche. Along with several Muscle Cars through the years) And,I am like you. Waiting to see if they go down a little bit more. Will have to see what happens after all of the AZ. auctions at the end of the month. Which are usually a pretty good barometer. I prefer to go with an '88.5,with the 5 lug wheels,and other mods,upgrades,recall fixes,etc...Up to a '92 TR. I copied a "Testarossa Buyers Guide" from the old FChat link. It tells what weaknesses,and strengths. Recalls,upgrades,etc...with all of the various year/models of the Testarossa's. I'll try to dig it up for you to look at. When ever I am out thataway. I have seen,on a few occasions,a Red 308GTB running around North Phoenix. And,were behind a Black Testarossa that come out from a hillside home driveway on Lincoln,just East of SR51. It had a Tubi and sounded sweet as honey! Yes,Chicago's probably going to be cold in Feb. If you are here between the 6th. and the 15th. The Chicago Auto Show will be going on. It's held in the single biggest room in the World-McCormick Place. Always a great time.I've gone every year since 1970. Man,what cars I've seen go through there during the years. And,price changes.:) Also,gotta LOL about the Shorts and T-Shirts. I am CONSTANTLY reminding my Wife about that. I add in Hawaiian shirts,too.(Her eyes are rolling) When I take my 2 kids(12,6) out there to see family at Christmas time. (not this year-bad back) I want to take them to all of the "Touristy spots"...Rawhide,Phoenix Zoo,Old Town Scottsdale,Cave Creek,etc... But,all that they want to do is to go swimming. We will swim in 70 degree temps,after being in 0-30 degrees up here. (my Family that lives out there cringe at that thought. They think it's too Cold.Thin blood!:) Call us SnowBirds and all )

11. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    Ah, I see. I saw a rosso rubino or russo barchetta 308GTS drive past us on McKellips... I know, I know, the owner must have been sick to be driving it in Mesa... Or lost. Speaking of North Scottsdale... I'll be right around there, in North Phoenix this weekend right off of Tatum.

12. LP400S

LP400S Formula 3

May 18, 2002
    West Coast
    Welcome William! We have a great group of Ferrari enthusiasts out here. This is the pime time for our events out here. Maybe we will see you at one of them.

I also used to live in Chicago. It's a great city and I still love to visit, but IMO nothing compares to being here. With the roads and weather here it is pure heaven for car guys.

13. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    No Doubt. Year 'round great weather. And,those great Roads. Smooth. No Potholes,like up here. We've driven up to Sedona a few times,and I always say,"Man,I wish I had my Ferrari with me right now". And,we've also driven up to Vegas a couple times. I would like to be in my Ferrari going through all of those twisty turns by Hoover Dam. Although,you can't go really fast there. But,would be fun anyway. But,even just cruising up Scottsdale Rd. ,up to Cave Creek,and taking Cave Creek Road back,to me,is a nice little drive to just go out and stop for Lunch. No curves or hills,but a nice quick drive. But,I prefer to get out on the open road and really get going. I still have lots of exploring to do out there.

14. flashman

flashman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    Star Valley, Arizona
    Full Name:
    William Rappaport
    I moved here from San Francisco about 10 years ago, like you say, the roads, and weather out here are spectacular! I just got back from a run up 87 to Payson to "road test the 30K service I did on my 308, What a rush! I finally pulled the Cat's off her and what a difference. LOUD, LOUD, LOUD! GOD I love that car.
    WilliamR

15. flashman

flashman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    Star Valley, Arizona
    Full Name:
    William Rappaport
    Let me know the next time you want to locate a road to "blow it out" I have found places that were made for us, with no Law around to put a damper on anything. Most of these are used by the auto mfgr's. to test their new models and I have yet to run into another car on any of these roads.
    WilliamR

16. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    That sounds like a plan,Man! I watch all of the Automobile Shows on Speed channel. And,was just watching "Dream Car Garage" the other day,and recognized the Small Mountains-Rock formations down on McDowell,by the Air Force Base and the Zoo. Where they were test driving a car. Probably from one of the car dealers on McDowell. But,have also seen other Arizona locations used,including the Racetrack. So,you moved from SanFrancisco? When I was a small boy,we lived in SoCal.-Ventura,Garden Grove,early 1960's. Then back to Chicago. I have a cousin who is a Commander in the Coast Guard down in San Diego,and a 1/2 brother in SoCal. My Dad was living in Monterey,and then Salinas,but moved to Arkansas recently.(Job Transfer) But,we have a funny saying. If someone comes up with a good idea,we say,"That would be as good as owning a Brake and Clutch shop in San Francisco". For a bad idea? we say,"That would be as crazy as driving The General Lee down Martin Luther King Drive in Chicago" All in fun.

17. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    William;

If you are interested we are planning a FerrariChat get together for Barrett-Jackson on saturday at one of the local resturaunts. You are more than welcome to join if you are interested :)

Rob

18. flashman

flashman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    Star Valley, Arizona
    Full Name:
    William Rappaport
    Great! Let me know where and what time.
    WilliamR

19. flashman

flashman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    Star Valley, Arizona
    Full Name:
    William Rappaport
    SF is one town that a good set of brakes is a must, your clutch......forget it. Its also the worst place to own any exotic car. Trying to find a quiet piece of road, to really let your car out on, is virtually impossible. Plus, the cops there have no sense of humor. Arizona is a motorheads dream come true, at least for now. What with all the developement out here, who knows how long it will be before we are just another suburb of LA.
    WilliamR

20. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    LOL! Regarding growth in the Phoenix metro area. Most of my family moved out there in the mid 70's. The rest,in the late 80's. Thats when I first started going out there to visit. There really wasn't a whole lot of stuff even North of Thunderbird. (My parents live right by Thunderbird and Scottsdale Rd.) Then,from Bell Rd going North on Scottsdale Rd. It was Pretty much all,complete desert all the way North,almost to Cave Creek. Now,you see homes,strip malls,etc... pretty much the whole way up driving North on Scottsdale Rd. And,going West. Look at Peoria. All brand spanking new. When you take Bell Rd. West,past I-17,it's unbelievable. Same for when we take Northern all the way West to go to the Wildlife World Zoo. (ever been there? Very cool!!) It was all desert. Now,it's building up. One of my brothers is in the Construction trade out there. He sometimes works 7 days a week,because there is so much work. And,that new 101 Loop that they just finished is great. Watch for lots of growth North of that. I hope that they start keeping some of that Desert land from being built on. A Preserve,Like we have in the Chicago area. Lots of "Forest Preserve" acreage. But,agree with you on all of those beautiful,fresh,new raods. When I get out of town,going North,I can just open it up,and fly.:) I can't wait to take my Ferrari out there.But,being the bright Red color doesn't help. My brothers tell me that they have spotter planes out there looking for speeders. But,in all the times that I've been out there,never saw one. Actually,on one Vegas trip. We didn't see a cop the whole way up. Not even unmarked cars.

21. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess