360 Modena factory batter charger | FerrariChat

360 Modena factory batter charger

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Stephen, Jan 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Stephen

Stephen Rookie

Dec 30, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I often leave my car (360 Modena) unattended for weeks at a time. The Ferrari dealer from where I purchased the vehicle admonished me to always use the factory charger whileI am away, so that the battery does not die (it seems that the battery in this car will discharge itself within one week if not used). If the battery does in fact die (which mine of course did when the complicated factroy charger failed to work properly while I was out of town for two weeks), the dealer claims that the vehicle cannot be jump started and must be towed to the dealer so that all of the computer settings can be reset.
    I found this hard to believe, so I simply attached a trickle charger to the battery (located behind the passenger footwell), and the car started right up after a one hour charge. In addition, after letting the vehicle run at idle for about five minutes (it ran eratically for those five minutes), it completely reset all engine functions and has been perfoming completely normal ever since. Has anyone experienced this? Am I just lucky that my car ran normal after a dead battery? Is there any validity to the dealer's claim? Also, I have since refused to use the annoying factory charger (which must be connected to an 8-pin receptacle under the hood), and instead now use one of those "battery tenders" which plugs into the cigarete lighter (I use an old one a bought for a Porsche sometime ago). It works great, and I have had no problem since.

2. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    I use the car much more regularly but when my battery did die due to age. I repaced it and under orders from my garage ran the car for 5 minutes. This resets all the parameters. Your route is not a fluke but an accepted practice.

3. Diablo

Diablo Formula Junior

As for the Factory Battery tender. I was told it has a built in circuit that prevents starting the car with it connected(thus the 8 pins and not just 2). Pretty smart of the engineers seeing that I would probably forget to disconnect mine and just drive right out of the garage...LOL

The resets are another thing. If you have a 360 you should let the car idle for more than 10 minutes. Also the adaptive fuel values might be messed up, so to corect this, you get the car to the dealer and they reset the adaptive values. Without this the damage to the O2 sensors or even the Catalysts could happen.

I have even see this reset performed on a 355, the tech showed me the red lines on the SD1 and how they were reset to normal after he was done.

Oh yes another thing is if the 360 is an F1, the F1 should also be reset.
    There are very slight tolerances in the shifting and it is best that the SD2 at the dealer resets these parameters.

Good luck