Allanlambo - The Gallardo is a serious runner | FerrariChat

Allanlambo - The Gallardo is a serious runner

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Mako99, Jan 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    I put Allan in the subject because he's on the waiting list for baby bull, but this message applies to anyone curious about the car's performance.

Anyway, Car and Driver finally got to put their optical speed gear on a roughed up Gallardo press car and wring it out a bit under their standard testing controls (say what you will about Car and Driver, but their editor-in-cheif is an MIT grad in mechanical engineering. They take all speed measurement tests SERIOUSLY, and are easily the most accurate in this regard of all mags, Euro, American, or otherwise, period):

Gallardo test results:
    0-30MPH: 1.8
    0-60MPH: 4.1
    0-100MPH: 9.2
    0-150MPH: 21.4

Standing 1/4 Mile: 12.4 @ 118mph

Top Speed: 191 (not an estimate, C&D actually registered this speed)

For comparison purposes, and for a bit of fun, here are a few other notable cars tested with the same timing gear, under the same controls by C&D at 0-150MPH.

I personally eschew the 1/4 mile times on supercars in favor of their 0-150MPH test results, I feel it's a better measurement of this level of car's straightline speed due to making things like gear ratios and perfect launches less important than a 1/4 mile measurement.

0 - 150MPH RESULTS (descending order from slowest to fastest):

Acura NSX-T (3.2L): 34.7
    Posche 911 Carerra (996): 34.1
    Chevrolet Corvette Z06: 28.0
    Porsche 911 GT3 (2004): 23.9
    Ferrari 360 Stradale: 23.9
    Dodge Viper SRT-10 (2003): 22.4
    Ferrari 575M: 22.1
    Porsche 911 Turbo (996): 21.6
    Lamborghini Murcielago: 21.4 (identical to the Gallardo ironically)
    Lamborghini Gallardo: 21.4
    Porsche 911 GT2 (996): 19.7
    Ferrari F50: 18.7
    Ferrari F40: 18.0
    McLaren F1: 12.8 (still unbelieveable after all this time isn't it?)

Ferrari Enzo: UNKNOWN (Car and Driver's previously published results for this car took place outside of their normal control parameters according to them, and it also wasn't measured up to 150MPH at that time.)

2. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Is it an E-gear or 6 speed? 21.4 to 150mph for a Murci is slow, its been clocked in the 19 sec range. Either way, Gallardo is awesome.

3. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    A little OT, but a damn interesting post! I did not realize that the McLaren F1 dominitaed the 0-150 that badly!!!

Even more amazing is that it dominates this stat DESPITE being geared high enough to hit 230+ MPH

4. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    Sorry my bad, should have mentioned E-Gear for the Gallardo. C&D liked it's operation at speed, didn't like it during slow parking moves.

The Murci's slow time is due partly to a faulty stick, the C&D writer mentioned that it was also a press car and they had broken the shaft of the Murci's 6-speed stick twice during their handling of the car so they gingerly operated it during the measured tests.

5. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    Yes, and it's even more impressive when you try to compute how many physical car lengths the time differential works out to, say between an F40 and the McLaren.

6. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Mako,
    since the cars don't hit a terminal speed up to 150 mph and since the rate of acceleration is not constant from 0 to 150mph, there is not enough information to compute how far behind the McLaren they would be. I would love to see a video and make sense of it, but it seems like they are a long way behind as the McLaren F1 bursts through 150 and hurtles on to 240+ (if the rev limiter is removed). Further, some of the pther McLaren F1 variants, ie, the F1 LM, the F1 GT and some of the F1 GTRs were even more powerful and had different "low-end" gearing for quicker times!

Back in 1998, Car Magazine also published a real-world 0-150 test result (ie. not just a theoretical guesstimate based on gearing and horsepower) for a TVR Cerbera. It did it in 19 seconds and change, but I can't remember the exact time. Not too shabby.

7. markr

markr Karting

Sep 15, 2003
    N. Virginia
    That Mclaren is just flat out impressive. I hope I age as gracefully as it has.

8. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    damn you have to wait that long to get up to 150MPH???? Very unpractical for everyday driving. :)

Interestingly though the top contenders (besides the F1) are Ferrari. Take the Turbo F40 out and you find 12cyls in the best ranks. Rank the Murci und Gallardo with the right engine size and you have almost equal numbers between the two.
    Comes down to styling I guess.

9. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Interesting list... but you left out the very notable Ford GT times... even if the car was a ringer... so, slightly reformatted:

34.7 Acura NSX-T (3.2L)
    34.1 Posche 911 Carerra (996)
    28.0 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
    23.9 Porsche 911 GT3 (2004)
    23.9 Ferrari 360 Stradale
    22.4 Dodge Viper SRT-10 (2003)
    22.1 Ferrari 575M
    21.6 Porsche 911 Turbo (996)
    21.4 Lamborghini Gallardo
    21.4 Lamborghini Murcielago
    19.7 Porsche 911 GT2 (996)
    18.7 Ferrari F50
    18.0 Ferrari F40
    16.9 Ford GT
    ??.? Ferrari Enzo
    12.8 McLaren F1

The other one that surprises me is the Z06... didn't realize it lost so much in triple digits.

The McLaren is soooo awesome. Hmmm... I think I need to slap a turbo on a Stradale... ;) and I guess some back lexan with holes to let all the heat out of the engine bay... ;)

10. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Murcielago is far faster than this for sure, it has clocked as low as a 3.51 to 60....something wrong...

11. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Scm reported a new Gallardo e gear sold at 172K US car (MSRP 165).
    Hopefully they will fix the low speed (parking) lurching.

12. Jordan Ross

Jordan Ross Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Austin
    Impressive numbers for sure, it suprised me that the Gallardo and Murcielago have very similar hp/weight ratio. The Mclarens times to 150 just stunned me, seems like Id break my neck with the acceleration.

I got that issue of C&D two days ago, I really like that they included a bit of info aon the Urraco. The mustang and corvette disapointed me, but oh well. Thanks for the copmarison of times, pretty cool.

13. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    You have to remember the Vette (including Z06) has only 5 useful gears (6th is economy only). The first 4 are used from 0-120 and 5th has to take them from 120 through 172-173.

All the other fast cars in this data have a useful 6th gear splitting the load of 5th from 120-150 and 6th from there on up.

14. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Still not as fast as braking 150-0... and no headrest in the case of braking. So, even the McLaren's acceleration should not hurt your neck.

I love great braking cars... and the resulting g-forces!

15. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Note to self: Don't drive behind Brian.

16. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    ;) If it makes you feel any better, since I've been driving on the street with racing brakes and R-compound tires, I am *always* looking in my rear view when braking... once on the brakes, hitting the cars in front of me is not a worry... the people behind me hitting me is!

17. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    The Ford Gt will not do 0-150 in 16.9 seconds. All the other magazines put it in the same bracket as a Viper Srt10.

As for Ferrari being on top with same corresponding engine sizes, lol, i dont think so. The 575 is highly lacking, and 360, at several seconds behind is not even in the same ballpark. The Enzo may be much quicker, but i doubt ill ever pull up next to one, or for that matter own one, so im not really worried about them.

18. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    I purposely left the Ford GT with it's 0-150MPH time of 16.9 seconds out of the chart, because even though Car and Driver tested one under the same conditions as the other cars, it so outperformed its theoretical power/weight estimates that the testers felt only one of two things was possible:

1. John Colletti at Ford SVT purposely sent them a pre-production ringer.
    2. The Ford GT makes at LEAST 75 more HP than it's rated for in production trim and Ford is being conservative.

Do the math on a 3,500lb car with 500HP and you get times somewhere in the Gallardo to 911 GT2 range, NOT another Enzo monster. Something is clearly up, and it's bull$hit on the part of Ford, but what can you expect, they've got a mad about of cred riding on that car.

Either way I've thrown the results out until a full production model is tested.

19. malibumk

malibumk Karting

May 14, 2002
    Malibu, CA
    Full Name:
    Mike Klein
    I'm aware of several of these cars on the ground at $20 to $40 over sticker....if anyone is interested.

20. Jameel

Jameel Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Canada
    The McLaren's numbers are astonishing!

16.9 seems pretty damn quick for the Ford GT!

21. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    As I said previously, the C&D Ford GT ratings are likely from a car that was prepped for their testing and is not representative of what final performance figures will be like.

That's what "ringer" means Jameel, lol.

22. teflon

teflon Formula Junior

May 16, 2003
    Full Name:
    Greg A
    Mako99,

Do you happen to know if C&D tested the Mercedes CLK-GTR and if so, what the 0-150 time was?

I believe it would be even quicker than the McLaren.

Greg A

23. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    Oddly enough, C&D never tested (but did drive and report on) either the roadcar version of the Porsche 911 GT1, or the roadgoing version of the MB CLK-GTR.

I would have been curious to see how either of them did against the McLaren, particularly the GT1.

24. integrale

integrale Guest

The F1 McClaren is a British equivalent of an American muscle car...if anyone has seen that thing go around corners, it's one of the most unelegant cornering supercars I've ever seen...bouncing and bobbing all over the place. Fast yes, but that's about it.

25. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    The ones that finished 1,2,3,4,5 at LeMans didn't look to bad to me.
    Mako
    The car C&D tested was not a ringer. If you ever try to catch one in any Ferrari except for an Enzo you won't be Loling.