F355 Fiorano Pack Retrofit | FerrariChat

F355 Fiorano Pack Retrofit

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by subirg, Jan 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Is it possible to retrofit the Fiorano handling pack to a 355 Spider?

What are the components (and how much do they cost)?

How much extra performance do you get?

Thanks.

2. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Possible, yes, sinse the suspension is the same as the regular car.

Lets say you have a track that takes 2 minutes to drive around, and that you change the suspension and nothin else. You might get between 0.4 and 1.0 seconds of lap time improvement*. This is to be compared with a set of street legal R-compound tires that will give you 6 full seconds of lap time improvement, or real racing slicks that give 10 full seconds of lap time improvement.

The stiffer springs will make the car slide easier and be easier to control in a slide, however, the absolute grip will be down a triffling due to the springs stiffness.

Since the springs are stiffer, the car can be lowered a little (depending upon the quality of the roads you drive on)

* This assumes you are within 5 seconds of the lap record at your track before you change the suspension. Also note, an extremely smooth driver on a stock suspension may be able to out drive a competent but less smooth driver on the stiffened setup due to the reduction in absolute grip with increased spring rates.

3. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Is this cost prohibitive? does this go for the 550 as well, with the fiorano kit? can this be retrofitted? I would think is would be just springs and engine software.

4. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    The 355 can definitely be retro fitted. In terms of the 2 minute track drive along with the suspension, the brakes are also upgraded so there is an improvement in times there as well.

In addition Euro based Fioranos will be slightly quicker than those is US, Canada and Australia as the reduction in height and inherent changes in geometry were not made available in those markets.

.................right, I'm off to look into the 550 differences!

5. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    It can be retrofitted - changes are as follows:

- Red brake calipers
    - Upgraded brakes
    - Springs
    - Stabiliser and related support
    - Suspension and steering ECU
    - Geometry and ride height (n/a for USA, Canada and Ausralia)

Given the 355 retrofit needs a change in the steering rack the 550 looks easier. As for cost it was my understanding in the UK that a 355 retrofit was around a the £7k ($10.5k) so I presume a 550 would be similar.