Top Gear - F50 vs F1 car.... | FerrariChat

Top Gear - F50 vs F1 car....

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by SefacHotRodder, Jan 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    unable to hit any of them. hrmph. but I do have the video somewhere around here!

2. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Jeremy Clarkson: "Yet the F50 leaves a lot to be desired.............If I had to choose between a 355 and an f50, I choose the 355"

Harsh words!

3. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Bwahahaha... what a dork! ;) In a few years, Ferrari's entry-level car will have around 500HP... not to mention Lambo's entry-level car... or the 500HP Fords, Mercedes, BMWs, and Cadillacs!
    :D Its a great time to be car shopping for great sportscars!

4. The F50 is one badass car, even more so than the F40 (blech!), and looks much sexier than either F40 or Enzo.

The F50 never really got its due, I think.

5. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    i have this video on my computer somewhere i think but i cant find it

6. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    sure - with 600hp Mercedes coupes/sedans, rumous of 500+ hp Corvettes, 500hp vipers and Ford GT's, the supercars will have to be a lot more exotic. hmmmm... can't wait for the used cars on the market in 5-10 years!

I still wouldn't kick an F50 out of my garage though - well, maybe a trade-in on a 288 but that's a personal weakness.

7. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Agreed (except for the "blech!")... the Ferrari supercars are a tough decision...

Stylistically, I find the 288GTO to be much better looking than the F40... but the F40 compromised form for function, as it compromised everything in favor of function... the net being that my desire for function would win out... none of the Ferrari's say "track car" more than the F40. In the end, a tough call... but my desire to drive the F40 on track would win out.

The F50, IMO, then takes the basic F40 concept and infuses as much art as possible... the F50 is stunningly beautiful in my eyes... though I wish they had not compromised the rawness of the F40 as they did. Again a tough call... but given the F50 is actually faster on track in all reported tests I've seen, I'd go with the beauty of the F50. It and the McLaren F1 have been my favorite cars for a really long time (though, I must admit, if it weren't for the cost of buying and keeping it running, the McLaren F1 would be my first choice).

The Enzo again put function ahead of form... not nearly the beauty that the F50 is... but oh what performance! And, like the F40, it screams "racecar" much more than the F50 does. If I was in the market for an Enzo, it would be a really tough call among the rest...

8. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    he says on the vid he'd take a 355 because that way he stays alive :)