is 'K' band still used in texas? | FerrariChat

is 'K' band still used in texas?

Discussion in 'Texas' started by ty (360mode), Jan 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ty (360mode)

ty (360mode) Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2002
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    i've deactivated the 'X' band on the V1 and over the last year or two have noticed (or think i've noticed) that i've never actually seen a cop when the 'K' band goes off, only the 'Ka' band.

of course i could be mistaken or just not as observant as i think... anyone know what the different law enforcement depts are using these days?

2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Don't know. I haven't deactivated anything on the V1. I just pay attention to anything it says when driving on the back roads of Texas. The V1 is pretty much useless around town because everybody is either hauling ass or at a dead stop. On the superslab, DPS uses instant on and all you can do is hope that this is not your 15 minutes of fame. But on the back roads, the deputy dawgs pretty much run cheap "always on" radar and this is where the V1 really shines.

Of course, I'm sure that this is just an academic question because you always comply with all aspects of the Texas driving code, yes?

DrTax

3. ty (360mode)

ty (360mode) Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2002
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    doc, i follow the rules so closely i really only need 1st gear :) although that front license plate thing...

i couldn't stand the X band anymore driving around the galleria/west u area that i live in - constantly going off. i might as well just not have the V1 b/c i ignored it anyway or muted it. yesterday i passed an HPD sitting on 59 south right over the hump before the 'bend' near FOH and he was Ka, then i was being zapped by West U copper this am and he was Ka, driving back from SA couple months ago and sherriff (?) was Ka... just dawned on me this morning that it always seems to be Ka.

4. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    X band is useless. I've only come across one town on a backroad hitting me with X band. K band is still used, but very sparsely in the backroads. The other thing that K band is used for are the speedo signs that tell you your speed when entering a construction zone. This is greatly apparent when you are driving up 35N just North of Waco.

5. Scott_in_Houston

Dec 17, 2003
    Housotn, Texas
    Nice Avatar! Excellent photo editing work. :)

Turn off the X and leave on the K. K is still used for sure in the country-side and even some in town by crappy ass cops like Bellaire's or The Village.

The big problem is laser. Metro's sorry cops and HPD are using it a lot now, so I don't even rely on the V1 at all in town anymore.

Also out here in Sugar Land the cops use laser a lot now too.

Lastly, be very careful if you head towards Vidor. They use the KKK band.

6. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    =D Too funny!

regarding Sugarland, have those cops cleaned up their act? Even going through residential areas, I've been nearly hit twice by the police just not paying attention. This was in Covington Woods a few years back. I also hope that the judge (forgot her name) has been replaced. I had a complaint against her some time ago. It got so bad the ticket and charges were dropped. All I gotta say is, it's good to know people in the system. Just beware of the revenue assessors!

7. Scott_in_Houston

Dec 17, 2003
    Housotn, Texas

I've never really noticed a problem with the SLPD in neighborhoods not paying attention. That is just sad.

Was the Judge a Judge Dettling?

Right now I get extra pissed when they're out drumming up revenue on the highway meanwhile there is a major string of home invasions and robberies in some pretty nice neighborhoods! GET YOUR ASSES INTO THE NEIGHBORHOODS... it ticks me off so bad when I see 'em just trolling the highway and feeders.

8. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    All the more reason I want to move back to Ft. Worth.

9. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Last year, while driving back from Marble Falls, I was hit by all 4 kinds of speed enforcement device frequencies (X, K, Ka, and Laser) by a single pickup truck.

SQUACK
    BLEEP
    BEEP
    RANT

All 4 tones came out of my V1

10. milby

milby Rookie

Jan 20, 2004
    Stonebridge Ranch,TX
    Full Name:
    Drew
    K band is still used in Dallas suburbs of McKinney and Allen. PlanoPD will dig them out every once in while to nab people in school zones. I have also been blasted wth X band in some of the real small backcountry roads by Po-dunk police officers in old SUVs.... but they can't catch up.

11. OneEye

OneEye Rookie

Dec 9, 2003
    Austin PD still uses the K band. They have a lot of old radar guns still in use.

12. Amir

Amir Formula Junior

Feb 15, 2003
    TX
    Texas State Troopers and Brazos County Sherriffs still use K on 290 and 6 going towards CS/Waco.....