Tough new visa requirements for travel to USA---- | FerrariChat

Tough new visa requirements for travel to USA----

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by tonyh, Jan 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    All of these measures match people with paperwork, to a greater degree of confidence. ie. the passport says you are so and so, and the person inspecting the passport, if they inspect it thoroughly enough, can be 99.9% confident that the bearer is indeed so and so.

Problem is, it is the mindset and intention of the bearer that need to be clearly identified. That, and discovering any concealed weapons or explosives. A passport can be easily obtained by presenting an easily obtained birth certificate. Further, it merely specifies a name, date and place of birth, and a partial record of prior travels, if it has been used before and if the countries entered and exited with it stamp the entry and exit.

If the identification document ie. passport, and travel endorsement ie. visa is issued after extensive profiling and investigation, then it presents an additional hurdle for a would-be terrorist. All this presumes that the person bearing it is the person who was granted the documentation and travel permit.

Otherwise, it is a feel-good but meaningless gesture. Like removing nail-clippers from passengers while allowing unchecked workers and vehicles to enter the tarmac area. Better than nothing, in some cases.

2. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott

Exactly

3. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Otherwise, it is a feel-good but meaningless gesture. Like removing nail-clippers from passengers while allowing unchecked workers and vehicles to enter the tarmac area. Better than nothing, in some cases.

BOY did you say a mouthfull there.

I always get a kick out of any politico's abilities to misdirect "LOOK nothing up my sleeve.... " Just distracts from Haliburton and other scandals that should be tops

4. Chenrezi

Chenrezi Karting

Feb 10, 2003
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Miguel
    Well, I'm not from the US, but I think this afects everybody who wants to travel there.
    I can totaly relate to the increase in security for the US, I mean, it is THE country most likely to be hit by a terrorist attack of some kind, so.... defend yourselves at will!
    I do think though, that some efforts are being misdirected and more should be done in other areas.

Forgering a passport is, like somebody already said, not such a hard thing to do....