cleaning out an oil cooler | FerrariChat

cleaning out an oil cooler

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Doc, Jan 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    What is a good substance/ solvent to use to clean out an oil cooler. I want to be sure to not use something which leaves a residue which could degrade oil.

2. zan

zan Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2002
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Mark M
    Back in my mechanic days on heavy equip, on oil & hydraulic coolers, I would blow through with a high temp pressure washer w/soap, then no soap, then compressed air, then dry thoroughly.

3. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    If you can still find it, good old fashioned petroleum based solvent would be fine. Unfortunately, the enviro-whackos have forced various non-compatible solvents on us.

On cars that were severly neglected and had the oil turn to sludge, we used to fill the crankcase up with solvent. Start car, let idle for a few minutes, drain, fill with oil and send it down the road.

4. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Why does it need to be cleaned?

If the oil cooler has become contaminated with microscopic metal particles due to engine failure or such.... re-using the cooler may be a very bad idea. Many a brand new engine has been ruined because of a contaminated oil cooler!

The best way to have a dirty cooler cleaned (if you are dead set on re-using it) is through a sonic cleaning process. This is how most aircraft oil coolers are cleaned. If you contact a local aircraft mechanic they should be able to refer you to someone who can do this for you. Im really not sure how this process actually works, but its FAA approved and thats good enough for me.

Terry