Is this a valve adjust kit? | FerrariChat

Is this a valve adjust kit?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by cstreit, Jan 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cstreit

cstreit Rookie

Jan 7, 2004
    I got a bunch of parts from a friend that used to be a Ferrari nut.

I'm a Porsche guy and trying to figure out what this is. This is a box of valve shims, it's in a wooden box labeled OMC Pastiglie Registro Valvole Fiat. I was told it was for a 308 but am unsure.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Chris Streit

2. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Hang on to that box or find somebody that really could use them. The box has an array of shims that are used when other shims are out of tolerance. The ones in the box are mic'd at certain thicknesses. When you do a valve adjustment, you will use the ones from the box that are new with no wear on them to bring the clearances of the valves within the proper factory toleance. Is there any tools in the box?

3. cstreit

cstreit Rookie

Jan 7, 2004
    Peters,

Well I don't own a Ferrari so my idea was to ascertain what car it came from and then sell it.

Any idea what these things go for? (or where I could look to find out)

At this point I just want to unload it... maybe 50% of it's cost...

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
  5. cstreit

cstreit Rookie

Jan 7, 2004
    Thanks Steve..

This box contains almost 132 Shims ranging from 3.20mm to 4.80mm!

At even the volvo price of $5 per, well heck, nice price since they were free! At the fiat price of $20 per it's a gold mine. :)

6. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Which do you have -- the 29mm diameter, the 33mm diameter, or both?

7. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I am not a cheapskate or anything, but I doubt that I would pay $600 for that kit. The kit eliminates the need to stand at the Volvo dealer the next day in order to get the exact shims that I need, at $5 a pop. I also have an bunch of old shims (20 or so) of various thickness so if I am lucky, I already have some that will be usable.

The kit is valuable for someone like a mechanic who needs a set of shims for his customers, and who can charge $10 for the part.

just my own humble opinion, not looking for a comment of anykind.

8. cstreit

cstreit Rookie

Jan 7, 2004
    You're right about that... I just have no interest in selling them piecemeal. It just isn't worth the time to send out 2-3 shims a month for the next 10 years. :) Price would reflect that.

91TR: They are 33mm in diameter.