Regrets in your life: What are they? | FerrariChat

Regrets in your life: What are they?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by PeterS, Jan 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    This topic came up at my house today. It was fun to banter past regrets to see if it would have changed the path in life. What regrets do you have that maybe would have put you in a better place?

2. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Regrets? I've had a few, but then again, too few to mention.

3. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Most of my regrets involve women. ;)

4. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    First marriage. *Summons spirit of Sam Kinison* "Die! Die! Die!"

5. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    Hmm, I waited too long to sell my Ebay, Earthlink and Time Warner stock. I also should have bought a Ferrari 10 years earlier in my life, as I have never been so happy with a car.

6. adamr

adamr Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2002
    Chicago
    I dont know. I just quit my job 10 minutes ago, so I guess I'll find out in 6 months.

7. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    Messing around with other girls while I had a perfectly good girlfriend that I now miss like crazy. Big mistake on my part.

8. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LOL...

i have a friend who "NEVER" regrets "ANYTHING!"... i find that hard to believe... There were times in my life where i made one decision and, thinking back, i should've made another... To me, that's a regret... If i could go back now and change the decision i made then, that's a regret...

i'm trying to think of regrets that i'll actually admit on a public internet forum... :)
    When i was 14-15 i made one decision over another; wanted to do something that, if i did it now, i'd be in a whole heap of nasty stuff... My life might be completely different than it is now, though... i guess i'll never know... Come to think of it, i can't think of another regret other than that one...

The only other thing i can think of the motorcycle i bought last year... but even then, i chalk that up to a learning experience and move on... i guess i only have one regret...

9. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I said this before & I'll say it again.

"It's better to regret something you did than something you didn't do."

Moving to Houston to go in business with my father. The better part of it is I've meet some great folks down here & learned alot from my business experience.

10. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Not taking advantage of educational opportunities at an earlier age.

11. 1992F40

1992F40 Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2002
    Quitting my last job with Drew Pearson

This one hurts the most-sold my dad's Rolex (GMT Master-I was in High school and did not know better), since then I have not worn a watch until I can get another.

12. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    My regret as well. Luckily though, Im learning from my mistake now in time to take full advantage of my college education. I was never really motivated in school until I joined this website. Unfortunately my mistakes during the first two years of high school are preventing me from going to Yale, but Ill still be going to a good private school instead.

Apart from that, I have my share of more regrets --everyone does. I can't go back and change history though, so I try and focus on not making any mistakes in the future.

13. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    "Better to regret something you did than something you didn't do."

I'm sure there are guys sitting on death row who might challenge that philosophy.

Seriously, there are things I might regret, but I've never dwelled on them, but rather try and learn from them. Even bad girlfriends.

14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    No regrets! Many mistakes and bad decisions, but they have all made me better for the future. That's the important thing.

15. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    my favorite financial regret stories are my dad's

He had a chance in 1965 to buy a California Spyder for around 4 or $5,000 (I'll have to confirm th number w/ him), was $600 short and didn't have the gumption to ask his parents for another loan. They already thought he was insane for buying his 500 Mondial (not running) for $2300 5 years earlier.

We were about to leave Hawaii in 1972 after being stationed there for four years. The Army at that time decided to sell off some of the thousands of acres of land they had seized on the islands for civil defense purposes in WWII. A few other naval officers got together and asked my Dad if he wanted to join them in picking up some land in Maui near some no-name beach called Ka'anapali. Dad thought, 'who the hell goes to Maui' which at the time wasn't an unreasonable statement; plus we were moving, so he passed on it. DOH!!

mine; not bailing on a very destructive marriage 4 years sooner than I did . . .

16. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Regret being stupid enough to believe that honesty and integrity actually mean anything. No truer words have ever been said than, "Nice guys finish last." As a society, our media extoles the wonderful virtues of the rich and famous but they quickly gloss over the facts concerning how they actually achieved their fortune. Enron, Worldcom, and other scandals repeatedly show how the big shots break the laws and squash the honest hard working individual. Yet in the end, the wealthy lawbreaker gets off with a slap on the wrist and a fine that doesn't cause the offender to ever really suffer a loss of high and mighty lifestyle. And most of the time, the wealthy offender will write a book about his ordeal, hit the talk show circuit, and end up making even MORE money off his social and legal offenses.

For example, did you see ME on the nightly news this week? Of course not. Did you see Pete Rose, a whining ex-baseball player who was on top of the world yet decided to get greedy and throw it all away by braking the rules and gambling away his money, thereby tossing his glorious career down the drain? Of course you did. And you'll probably see more of Pete as well as any other losers that they can sit down in front of a camera. As a society, we may preach hard work and honesty to our children, but in the end, it is never the honest, hard working person who sits in the limelight. Ten years from now, the ditch diggers will still be digging ditches in the hot sun as the former Enron executives ride by in an air conditioned limousine.

17. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Letting me get ahold of your picture???? :D:D:D:D

18. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    good outlook. still wish i was in the marines but if i wouldnt have gotten hurt and i was still in i could be dead for all i know.

19. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LOL... Well, then i guess i have TWO...! :)

20. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica
    I wish I had bought Microsoft in the early years.

21. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    AMEN!

I've made more than my fair share of dumba$$ moves. But I wouldn't say I really regret any of them. You learn from your failures and they suddenly regain value as teaching tools. I also agree that it is worse to regret not doing things. Some of the saddest words I can think of are "I wonder?" Don't wonder! Get out the door and do it.

The only thing I do regret is that at times I have been callous to people who did not deserve such treatment.

22. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    The way I see is whatever happens in the future is the consequence of what I did. So in the past, there are some mistakes I made, but what I am now, have now, are consequence of these mistakes also.

I think until I die, I really won't know what I will regret, I guess.

There are many things to learn, many facets of my character that I would like to improve, and many things I want to accomplish, so yeah, I do regret I don't have them yet, but I am still working on them.

Yoshi Ace

23. Ekasilicon

Ekasilicon Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2003
    I am with the other people on this board that have no regrets. I do have things in the past that I am not too fond of, but looking back on those experiences, I would not change them. If I had changed them, I would not have the same goals, philosiphies, values, ....etc....I would not be the same person.

24. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    one of many regrets... not holding onto CHKP (CheckPoint Software) long enough. Would have one, if not two F-cars by now.

25. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I feel that everything I do in life will boil down to my death bed. For about ten years, I have had this train of thought. When I make a decision to do something, I think to myself 'is this something I will regret'? I can turn back some time now, but not when I am hooked up to tubes and machines with the chaplin on his way down the hall to give me my last rights.