Garage Flooring - Johnsonite? | FerrariChat

Garage Flooring - Johnsonite?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Doody, Jan 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    anybody here have experience with this flooring:

http://www.johnsonite.com/products/roundel.htm

it's an industrial rubber flooring. it comes in 12"x12" and/or 24"x24" squares that are .125" (3.175mm) thick.

it's something like $12/sf installed. serious epoxy.

one of the guys on 6speedonline.com has it (this is his garage). i went to their site and asked for info. they immediately shipped me a 3lb box via UPS of about 50 samples on a ring. very impressive responsiveness. the product looks damn neat.

curious to hear if there's any other experience with it out there. for example, how might it hold up to a new england winter with snow and ice and LOTS of sand and salt on it?

doody.

2. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    pic 2 of 3

3. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    pic 3 of 3.

4. shelbee

shelbee Guest

What happened to your previous AVATAR??

5. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    man that's expensive. i think racedeck is around $3-4/sf. did i do the math right in that an 800 sf garage would cost nearly $10K with johnsonite? i am considering using racedeck. i have not heard of any problems with racedeck, but i haven't really looked into it too deeply...yet :) if you've explored various garage floor options please bring me up to speed. thanks!

6. teachdna

teachdna Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2001
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Robbins
    This looks very similar to a product that was introduced by Pirelli some years ago. We actually put some of this down in some hard traffic areas around the house on the basis of recommendations by the architect and were very disappointed with the wear. It's extremely difficult to keep looking fresh as it scratches/scuffs easily and shows dirt.

It looks exactly the same as what we used and if it is, I'd advise against it. I think you'll be disappointed with the way it looks after a few years-also; it's very slippery when wet.

7. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    hey babe - variety is the spice of life!

you ain't kiddin' it's expensive! i did kiwi in my garage - GREAT stuff - big fan.

interesting data, teachdna. it's definitely rubber. it does not look resistant to cuts and whatnot. even in those pics you can see "wear".

the literature does not push garages - i don't even know if they suggest the product for that use. i can easily imagine it stains from various car-related chemicals.

if anybody has used it i'd love to hear about it, but it does sound like that's probably not the case. and i'm a big fan of the plastic tiles.

doody!

8. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    the only things i've explored in great detail is (a) paint, which i discarded as a reasonable option for a wide variety of reasons and (b) the plastic, snap-together tiles. and i went with the latter.

this was a few years back. SnapLock had only recently gotten into the auto market then with the RaceDeck product. i compared their stuff with Kiwi and one other company, whose name escapes me and didn't come close to making the cut.

i got various samples from both companies and tested them out. basically i wanted to see what support structure was underneath each tile and how they fared being connected and disconnected.

the RaceDeck tiles (with apologies to our sponsor) didn't hold up connecting & disconnecting. on the first disconnect you could see the plastic starting to stretch and fail. the Kiwi tile did much better, and if memory serves, had more support legs per tile per area than the SnapLock product.

when i told SnapLock of my findings they said they maybe sent me the wrong sample - like they sent me a sample of the outdoors dancefloor stuff or whatever - though they didn't offer to send me another sample, so i sorta assumed it was a face-saving exercise.

both companies will send samples (and gratis if you're a serious buyer and a nice guy). both companies will negotiate their prices down notably - the margin on this stuff isn't 1%.

kiwi does a horrible job at sales and marketing and distribution. just horrible imo. racedeck is pushing hard - i think sears carries it now, in fact!

i'm building a new garage, and am revisiting the flooring options i didn't check out the last time. hence the questions. the default option is just to buy more kiwi tile to add to what i've got.

doody.

EDIT

uh, duh! these would be helpful:

http://www.kiwitile.com/
    http://www.racedeck.com/

9. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    Doody - I crafted an alternate Bling Avatar for you in response to the bling thread - I had so so nearly posted in this thread a "what's up with the Avatar", but shelbee beat me to it...

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5116

I won't repost here :)

10. ntol

ntol Karting

Dec 19, 2003
    Clemmons, NC
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Hey guys...I am one of the sponsers here and we sell the racedeck product. It is awesome stuff. I also have lock-tile which looks alot like the johsonite product you are posting at the same price of racedeck.

Our site is http://www.carolinasealcrete.com

Would like to be able to help you.

Neil

11. billwann

billwann Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2004
    Bristol Wisconsin .
    Full Name:
    Bill Wann
    Doddy

I have the same stuff in my basement and on the stairs , its good stuff except that its kinda soft and thick , if you put a jack on it it woule leave a nasty mark , its not to resistant to gas or solvents .
    I would go with epoxy , not the rustoleium suff thou .