Need Quick Miami Restaurant Help | FerrariChat

Need Quick Miami Restaurant Help

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Billy10mm, Jan 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Billy10mm

Billy10mm Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Westchester
    Full Name:
    Billy Ng
    Hello,

I'm taking the wife down to South Beach this weekend as a birthday present and want to take her out to dinner Saturday night. Was wondering if anyone had recommendations of a nice place to eat, something quiet with good food and a decent wine list. I prefer not to have to deal with a dress code as I don't plan on packing a suit (or slacks for that matter), but will if I have no other options. We'll be staying at the Shore Club if that helps.

Thanks in advance.

Bill in Brooklyn

2. Bdel

Bdel Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Hollis, NH
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Pacific Time. Great restaurant, although a bit pricey. I dont remember the exact street, but it is walking distance from most of the SOBE hotels.

Del

3. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    bill your last names not really Ng like it says in your profile is it looks liek you jsut did something short for Nguyen or something

4. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    The word "Something Quiet" and "South beach" do not match.

The most famous of them all and right now is season:

Joe's Stone Crab

In the 10 years I live here I have yet to go. (this year for sure), but stonecrabs are the best seafood you can find. Try their mustard sauce with them.
    Very pricy but well worth it. Lots of fun to hamering away on those poor claws.
    You will find ALL famous people going to Joe's. Always celebs down there. It is on 1st and I believe Washington. Any Cabdriver knows, not really in walking distance. If you go on the weekend make reservations.

For unique eating try "Bed". It is a restaurant from 6-10 and then transforms into a night club. Gets pretty hip after 12. Going as a couple is usually not that great there because they will not give you an entire bed for yourself. On a special day (or just being unsocial like I am) you want to be by yourself.

I am hearing a lot of good stuff about Barton G's. I will check that out in a few days but have not done yet myself.

After dancing the night away people end up at Pizza Rustica on Washington and 8th, 1/2 a block from BED. Open till I guess 6 in the morning. Good pizza. Nothing fancy of course.

Have fun with weekend. Supposed to be good. I am about 20min away from SoBe.

Shopping (to make her happy) is just around my corner: Bal Harbour Shops (Collins and 96th Street) Go Saturday or Sunday. Lunch at Carpacios and order the Amalfi Salad! You will love it, if you like seafood.

Have a fun time! Weather should be good. Look out for a yellow 355 Coupe with a roll bar and Dealer Plates.

5. Billy10mm

Billy10mm Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Westchester
    Full Name:
    Billy Ng
    Thanks for the replies guys. Joe's Stone Crab was mentioned to me by a few people here at the office, but the wife is allergic to shell fish. I'm up for Nobu but the wife's gotta be in the mood for sushi ... she's still up in the air and I still haven't made reservations, at this point, I'm just hoping the concierge at the Shore Club can get me a reservation anywhere.

Impala ... yes, my last name is, in full, Ng. However, I'm half Irish and half Italian =) I took my wife's last name when I got married because I wasn't overly fond of "Hussey" and my wife wanted to keep her name ... so I just figured, what the hell. My wife is Chinese, and pretty sure that someone at Ellis Island shortened her family's last name, but her parents don't speak English, don't seem to know how it's supposed to be spelled in English, and don't seem to care either.

This is me:
    http://www.wdgah.org/events/pindex.asp?ImageName=cotu4/images/cotu4_monnig_16.jpg

Also, signing "Bill Ng" is a helluva lot easier than "William P. Hussey" =)

Bill in Brooklyn

6. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    This isn't on Miami Beach, but is just in Miami, inside a hotel actually. If you are up for fantastic Brasilian food, and I do believe a wine list as well, look at Porcao. It has been a while, so I cannot recall where exactly it is. There's no menu, except for a drink list. So, basically, like most Brasilian restaurants, you know what you are getting into when you enter the place. Pricey is relative, but I'd call this pricey. Quiet - the times I've been there, yes it has been. Not many people are up for spending ~$35 for a plate, getting endless deliveries of meat. The salad bar is incredible as well. Yes, there is a salad bar, but with sliced salamon, mozarella balls, and all sorts of good eats. Just my recommendation.