New Ferrari Showroom in NYC | FerrariChat

New Ferrari Showroom in NYC

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by djs308, Jan 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
    In case you didn't see the thread I posted in the General Discussion: I saw this article in the NY Post Wednesday morning.

http://www.nypost.com/business/5050.htm

DES, now is your chance! Get ready to stalk...although the article doesn't say if there will be a black Enzo on display.

Overall, I find this news to be VERY interesting. Now, why would Ferrari want or need a showroom for DISPLAY only? And to put it on Park Avenue in NYC... I don't get it. They have years long waiting lists on all their cars. So what is the purpose of a showroom that is not used to SELL their cars? Are they planning on charging admission, perhaps? Or sell some Ferrari branded merchandise?

Not that I'm complaining as I'd be in the line to go check it out. I just can't figure out their motivation to do this. Anybody have the inside scoop?

2. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    645K for advertising. I think it's a good idea esp. as they hope to float the co. at some point.

3. technik1

technik1 Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Gus Technik
    "Showcase Only" factory stores are commonplace in Europe. It's more boutique style.

In Paris last year I saw an Audi, Mercedes, Alfa Romeo, and even a Michelin showroom. All had a similar theme : one or two current models; at leat one vintage or concept car; a host of accessory, boutique and memorobilia items. It was interesting visiting these stores. I'm not sure there is another manufacturer in this country to have a showroon only store without sales.

It should be great fun to have to a Ferrari (and likely Maserati, to showcase their Quatroporte, and maybe the SUV) in Manhattan. I'm looking forward to it.

Gus
    Technik 1

4. mrp_e

mrp_e Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2003
    Coasts
    Full Name:
    Bill
    audi's is on park and 47th... i think the people there are from the zumbach dealer, but the place is essentially a corp. display/musuem

5. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Anybody know when this is going to open up? I work around that area, and I don't see any signs of life as yet, which surprises me given that I thought it would make sense to prep for a Spring opening?

Regards.

6. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Any updates on this?

7. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    Sometime last year I was talking with the manager of Exoticar Model Company on Park Ave. and I told him of Ferrari planning to open a boutique like the one in Italy, where the would sell accesories like models, clothing, and alot of stuff you could only find there. He also confirmed he heard of these plans and was worried how it would would affect sales at his store, since the bulk of thier sales are Ferrari.So I'm almost positive that's what it'll be.By the way, I'll be up in NYC the 19th and 20th anyone interested in getting together for dinner and discussing...what else? Ferrari! Let me know.

8. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    I pass these guys everyday given they are close to work, although, believe it or not, I have not yet had a chance to go in yet. You are right, that they seem to sell a lot of Ferrari accessories. I don't think their accessory business will be that affected by the new showroom, as my understanding is that the Ferrari showroom will be primarily focused on showcasing the cars, as opposed to selling paraphanelia.

9. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    #9 ghost, Oct 28, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This is view most people get of the current Ferrari / Maserati showroom on Park Avenue. However, if you're a Peeping Tom like me, you realize there is at least a Quattroporte and a 612S sitting inside. Somebody had also mentioned they saw a 575M. Mmmm.

Wonder when the showroom will open?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    #10 ghost, Oct 28, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Good. Let the taxis slaughter each other and leave us alone!

12. noahlh

noahlh Formula 3

Aug 28, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Noah
    Watching taxis get into accidents gives me kinda the same feeling as when I see NYPD pulling over taxis...

It's kinda like going to the zoo, walking past the hyena cage, and watching them fight with each other...

nlh

13. Formula1

Formula1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 3, 2003
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Mr. Pole Smoker
    There is a gransport, a 575, a 612 and a q-porte. I saw them before the brown paper was put up on the windows.

14. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

OK, so when do the doors officially open?

15. JPF

JPF Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2003
    NY
    Full Name:
    Joshua
    Some of you midtown types should take a walk over to MoMA and look at the back of the building (where the garden is). Look up about two stories and you will see a Ferrari (looks like a 250 SWB or something) in the window.

Pretty cool, I would get a pic but I forgot my camera.

16. JC360

JC360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    NYC...and soon WC 2
    Full Name:
    Jon C.
    is the showroom open?
    if no one knows i'll may swing by later today after work.

17. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Paper still on the windows as late as Friday morning of last week. :(

Let's get this party started already zen. Let me know what you find JC .

18. JC360

JC360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    NYC...and soon WC 2
    Full Name:
    Jon C.
    fWeRF... i'm on it. will do a drive by either tonight or tomorrow during the day.