wireless internet WHOW I am free !!! | FerrariChat

wireless internet WHOW I am free !!!

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Cavallino Motors, Jan 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    I am usually behind the tech loop big time. Just got a DELL laptop and put the ATT Edge card on it. I was sitting in my car with the laptop open and was surfing F-Chat.

We have truely come a long way with technology.

I am amazed!

2. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    Those are truly awesome, no doubt. I hope to see you at Cavallino Martin, I'll be there from 1/22- 1/25.

3. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    indeed, technology has definitely made some significant strides. you can do some pretty neat stuff with a wireless card.

4. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    just make sure you use some sort of secure access or anyone sitting in your lot can use your IP

5. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    you're right, because even with WEP enabled, someone can potentially uncover your WEP key. just make sure you "unshare" your folders.

6. Cavallino Motors

Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    I said I am behind....how the $#@* do I unshare a folder????

7. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Hm now you can surf anywhere.. I predict you catch up with DES in 3 months :)

-R

8. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2002
    Houston
    I just hooked this up as well. It is amazing. My office is on the fourth floor and I can surf on the laptop in the living room on the second floor.

I would love some advice regarding security settings too.

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I have the Sprint Wireless card. I posted a thread on it awhile back...

http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/256121/257437.html

We should all compare our experiences.

Sprint is $80 a month unlimited with apx. 150k speeds, although I heard that will improve drastically the coming years. In theory it should work anywhere you can get a Sprint PCS signal. However, I've found moving down the highway it doesn't work very smoothly. I'll get a strong signal on my phone, but can't get the wireless card to work. Around all metro areas it works great.

My #1 problem hasn't had anything to do with Sprint. 90% of the time you need the wireless you're in your car or outside. I find it near impossible to see the laptop screen in daylight. Are there any special tack on screens that could help?

10. Cavallino Motors

Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    Rob I know how you feel. It sucks when you drive down the INterstate at 85MPH and you can't type...LOL .
    Ferrarichataholics Annonymous.

I hope the darn thing works in Aspen next month.

I got the Edge card from ATT with unlimited at $ 79. so far it works good at average 120Kps

11. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2002
    Houston
    Oh, my deal is a little different than you guys. I'm actually using the home DSL connection and transmitting it to my notebook via wireless router. My range is limited to 1000 feet.

12. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    I feel like I was a wireless pioneer! Way back in the summer of '96 I purchased a laptop and and started using a primitive form of wireless modem. I forget the brand name but it was an external device with an antenna that could be plugged into the notebook. Yes, how times have changed. :)

13. ralessi

ralessi Formula 3

May 26, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rikk
    Anyone care to chime in with some tips? I've read some stories where people can use their wireless card to get into their neighbors wireless networks. They can then do funny stuff like print something from the neighbor's printer that says "Encrypt Me!" or something like that.

It can be put to bad use though - I also suppose that you don't want someone stealing your broadband and getting out of a 50$ bill.

Does anyone have any links on encryption? If no one knows off the top of their head I might try to do some research and see, although I don't have a wireless network currently, I will someday I am sure.

14. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    WEP is a good start for home 802.11 users, WPA is better, but most probably just have WEP available. don't broadcast your SSID, and don't use default settings. IPSec is best over wireless but is more of a corporate solution.

We've looked into the logistics of actually cracking WEP and it's non-trivial. The official line is 100,000 to 1,000,000 packets collected is enough to brute-force WEP keys, which on a home network is probably a long-time.

Being a Cisco shop we use LEAP most of the time and it's a good compromise but need to be careful of brute-force attacks. IPSec over LEAP is best but takes real $.

So bottom line is it depends on what it is you're trying to protect. Banks and Hospitals have different security levels needed than the general Fchat home user.

We've got lots of wireless stories, even for some guys who should know a whole lot better.

The best hack idea I like is to plug in a low-cost wireless access-point into a LAN jack in a corporate lobby or wherever you can get access to, then hack away from the parking lot until detected. Rogue wireless ap's are a big problem.

15. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

Internet is huge source of info on wireless security. You can start almost anywhere and learn a bunch. Practically Networking site is an excellent start.
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/tools/wireless_articles_security.htm

Picking up stray wireless is called "war driving" Google for "pringles "war driving" for a cheap antenna for finding wireless access points. There are commercial versions as well. You get what you pay for. http://www.cantenna.com/

To my knowledge (I am not a lawyer blah blah blah), picking up other wireless signals is not illegal. Doing something with those signals, e.g. changing files, sharing info found, is.

16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    802.11 is good for home, work, and starbucks.

True roam anywhere wireless like what Martin and I have is great. Almost broadband speeds and you can take your laptop home, work, track, cross country, or strip club. :)

17. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    http://www.networkstumbler.com

if you have gps, you can navigate hotspots that are open and un-encrypted, i am on someone else's network at home, he has no idea :)

18. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

19. MikeZ_NJ

MikeZ_NJ Formula 3

Dec 10, 2002
    Southern NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike Z.
    I'm actually in Ft. Lauderdale right now at a computer security "boot camp" and we just went thru wireless security... fun, fun stuff.

20. Cavallino Motors

Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    Strip CLub...the possibilities are ENDLESS :)

21. kraft

kraft Rookie

Jan 9, 2004
    You are lucky to have access to wireless, in France it's complete impossible to even think about it....anyway i made this little thing that allows the car to be stopped if it's stolen. It gives me even it's position in return to my message to stop it, distance is not a matter unlike some other commercial systems :)

http://www.9xx-cars.com

This one is the one i got onboard, what do you think about it ?

22. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills

Yeah, I'll start a pricewatch for strippers...

"before I agree to a lapdance, i want to see the price of some of your competitors."