More "420 Monza" Gossip | FerrariChat

More "420 Monza" Gossip

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Eilig, Jan 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Today I spoke with the guys in Germany from whom I rent the Ferraris every summer. They are saying that their source in Maranello said yesterday that the 360 Modena replacement car will have 480 horsepower, and the early info he has seen regarding the body suggest a strong design influence from the Enzo, albeit riding on a bit shorter and bit narrower wheelbase. He said he will "know for sure" in approximately August or September of this year, so I don't know if that means this is when Ferrari plans to release info on the car, or whether this is when his "source" will have more specific info. He is also saying the new car will offer carbon-ceramic brakes, but not sure yet if they will be standard or optional. I have a feeling we are in for an outstanding new car.... I guess it will have to be, since the 360 Modena is such an incredible benchmark already!

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Great info, thanks for sharing. You know, I laughed many years back when the president or some senator responded to a question with "Well, why don't you watch CNN". I wonder if Ferrari employees watch FerrariChat.com to get the "latest" news. :)

3. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    OMG! it is not just BMW who have lost the plot with styling thanks to Bangle (or Bungle or whatever his name is) now this has confirmed that Ferrari and Pininfarina have also lost it ... all new cars seem to be very edgy and lacking style, with fug ugly headlights!

Time to buy those older cars as their value is going to go way up ... wish I owned a F355 or a F456 as they may become known as last good looking Ferraris (this is just my opinion as I am not a huge fan of the F360 looks and especially the headlights which look like warts under a see through bandage, or the concept of the F550 barge, ie. lets see if we can design the biggest possible 2 seater with as much wasted space as possible, followed on by the F612 which may need to be articulated to get around some corners in Sydney).

Pete

4. nberry

nberry Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    The rumors are rampant. They range from an evolution interim replacement to a totally revised car. Many claim the replacement will be out later this year. I find it interesting that there has not been one spy photo of the replacement and it strongly rumored to be shown this fall.

My sense is the replacement will not be anytime soon. Sales remain very strong with wait list running two to three years. The competition is being measured by Ferrari and the new 360 will set the standard for several years just as the old one did.

5. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I'm not at all happy with Pininfarina's Japanese designer who handles Ferrari now. Why a friggin Japanese ? Why not an Italian ? Whats the world coming to ? The last really handsome Ferrari was the 550

6. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    The body of the 360 replacement will look a bit like the Enzo , now that sounds good!
    Can't wait to see how it will look!

7. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    In terms of gossip I thought the interim was the CS.

As for replacement UK dealers are already taking deposits saying the hardtop car will be delivered in 2005 and spider in 2006

8. loungedog

loungedog Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    New Market, Ontario
    William:

What is wrong with a "friggin Japanese designer"?? Anything is possible, including redneck's who drive a Ferrari's. :)

9. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Nothing wrong with a "Japanese designer", except the current one does not understand style. Look at the Enzo and the 612 both fug ugly.

The Enzo looks like it was designed by folding up paper ... what is that art called again :)

I do not care what nationality the designer(s) are but the current one has to be sacked IMO!

Pete

10. nberry

nberry Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
  11. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Origami.

12. jmiles360

jmiles360 Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Washington DC
    Full Name:
    J. Miles
    I read in Forza a while back that the Japanese designer who had designed the Enzo and the 612 had left Pininfarina and the 612 would be his last Ferrari. I may be wrong but that is what I remember.

13. shelbee

shelbee Guest

Any spy photos??

14. shelbee

shelbee Guest

Perhaps they want too much money for the work. Luca decided to hire Japs with less labor and get a lot more.

I love the design of ENZO regardless who or what nationality did the design, it is different from Japanese cars we see on the road,

Shelbee

15. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    My German is pretty lousy, but my understanding from what he said is that there has been a directive from within Ferrari to increase torque. He heard the 480 hp is a pretty solid number, but still doesn't know the torque figure. Keep in mind that this info is coming from a man who owns each of the carbon fiber wonders (i.e. 288GTO, F40, F50, Enzo) and who's favorite Ferrari to drive is still the Stradale.

As a side note, he had many great things to say about the Gallardo. Apparently they just took delivery of it last month, and he was able to drive it once before the snow hit the pavement. He said the "seat of the pants feel" of the car is very impressive, and it apparently feels like it pulls harder than a Diablo.

Talking to this guy is just always a blast! Their rental operation is apparently shut down from November to March, and this is when they replace clutches, syncros, perform major services, new tires, brakes, get the cars inspected, etc. I think he said cars in Germany require inspection only once every two years. He said they will probably wrap up their work one month early this year, and then take a month vacation before starting up the rental operation in the Spring.

He was concerned about the deflation of the dollar and how it may impact affordability of his rentals from American customers.

Anyway, just thought I'd share a few more tidbits... it's always interesting to hear about the behind-the-scenes goings on at a Ferrari shop!

16. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    Although i havent seen one in person yet, still the Enzo is not all that attractive in pictures. A new 360 with Enzo styling cues, ugh not sure about that one.

17. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    European Ferrari Rental? The 288GTO is CF?

18. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    Didn't Forza rumour that late 2004 is a 400, with minor changes over the 360, and the 420 is the all new model using an engine based on the current Maserati V8 with lots more hp, looking at 2005/2006?

could be one of the other car magazines, I tend to get lost in them.

480hp in a lighter package with real torque would be fun, except maybe not in the rain we get here. More electronics I guess.

19. StoryBook

StoryBook F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 1, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    MPL
    Prior experience with first year Ferraris causes me to wonder about the reliability of the upcoming replacement for the Modena. How many here with a reserved spot are going to take the first model year run?

20. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

Depending on how the allocation shakes out, I might be in the first model year. I am about 2nd year on the list but I did ask for a manual coupe so that might bump me up depending on how many manual cars the factory delivers to my dealer. I'll take it, I guess.

21. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Interesting, my local dealer will not even start a list until there is some word from Ferrari about the 360 replacement. Not that I wish to discount anyones inside information, but if I remember correctly if you look back on the rumors a couple years ago, they were saying that we would be seeing the replacement this year. I hope it turns out to be true, I like the look of the Enzo.

22. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    North American dealers were going to have a "chat" session with Luca Montezelomo in Detroit this week, and were hopeful to get some tidbits regarding the 360 replacement. You might want to speak with your dealer upon his return from the show.

23. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Yes, European Ferrari Rental, and the man I'm referring to is Berthold Klotz. I've seen their 288GTO, and it's real. The question only came into play when their web designer was supposed to get pics of all their cars on their web site, but didn't have access to the 288GTO because it only sees the light of day once a year, so he substituted a pic from an unknown source -- turned out the pic he had gotten was of a mocked up 288GTO.

Anyway, I've ridden in their Enzo, and in 2002 I rented their F40 for a day. And I've seen their 288GTO and F50, in private quarters. I can assure you, none of this was a "hallucination," but was the real deal.

24. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I agree the Japanese are only good at stealing a design not coming up with a original one

25. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Prejudices aside, you guys should read up on the designer of the Enzo, Ken Okuyama. In interviews and a segment on TV, he doesn't come across as a stereotypical japanese person in his speech and mannerism. A very international person. His background include GM's Advanced Concept Center (with Chuck Jordan and others) and Porsche before working for Pininfarina. As a student, he met Sergio Pininfarina, who liked his rendering, and that inspired his designing career and eventually led to working for the man. The guy's also fluent in Italian. In the Forza interview he mentioned that his design staff included 4 Italians, one each from Switzerland, France, and Yugoslavia. Currently, Okuyama is a chairman at Art Center College of Design in California. If he's good enough for Sergio Pininfarina, that's good enough for me.