Tubi/Capristo test pipes? | FerrariChat

Tubi/Capristo test pipes?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by rscholl, Jan 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rscholl

rscholl Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2003
    Houston,TX
    I'm not very familiar with how the 360 exhaust system is set up. Do the aftermarket test pipes relace the cats or precats or what? In other words, if you get the straight-through test pipes do you lose emissions? I saw a video from Scuderia Systems' website of a Grigio 360 with straight test pipes and Tubi and it sounded intoxicating.

2. rscholl

rscholl Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2003
    Houston,TX
    Anyone?Anyone?Bueller?

3. rjklein

rjklein Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Ok I will take the bate. This is the deal Tubi makes bypass pipes or AKA. test pipes. I have this set up on my car and love it But.

There is always a but.

If you do this set up, and many have this set up on the list, be prepared for dealing with the check engine light. Now on my car 01, for some reason my check engine light is not on. But it has come on in the past, and does not affect the cars performance. It only comes on when I am in stop and go traffic for long periods of time, but mine will go off by itself, some will not and you have to reset the car by turning the battery off, waiting a couple of hours, and turning it back on. Small price to pay in my book for the sound.

You can get thermocouplers that will trick the computer, not sure how this work, but there are some on this list that have installed them.

Back to the question, I think Tubi is the only on that makes the test pipes, but you could use them with Capristo or tubi unit.

any other questions you can send me a email or call me 317-809-1940

4. whimike

whimike Karting

Jul 26, 2003
    Los Gatos, CA
    Capristo definitely has test pipes. Best thing to do would be to get the modified ECU to fix the Check Engine light and also to gain a considerable amount of power. Only problem is the ECU is $$$$ and nobody has done a back to back dyno with and without the ECU for conclusive power gain numbers.

-- Michael

5. udalmia

udalmia Guest

somewhat related

i just ordered a capristo exhaust, silenced test pipes and the upgraded ecu from heiko
    now i go to wwoc to ask them about install etc, the guy there tells me he does not recommend removing the catalyst since the thing would never get past emissions? another dealer refused to remove them because of "federal law".. could someone explain to me whats happening here, to repeat, im in NY,usa; not europe...

6. rjklein

rjklein Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    most independants will do the work, or you can do what I did and do it yourself.

Tools required:
    Basic sockets, WD-40, some wrenches, oh ya most important a six pack of beer. takes about two hours

7. Ed P.

Ed P. Formula 3

Dec 28, 2002
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    No Longer
    Thats why they are called "test" pipes. They're supposed to be used for temporary installation ....

8. udalmia

udalmia Guest

yeah i know that but i'm new to NJ and america actually so i dont know how emissions testing works here, is emissions testing necessary in NJ, i know it isnt in florida...

9. whimike

whimike Karting

Jul 26, 2003
    Los Gatos, CA
    Just reinstall your cats when you need to go and get tested for emissions, then put the test pipes back on afterwards, its that simple.

-- Michael

10. ferrari355gtb

ferrari355gtb Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    R
    How easy are they to change ? (I can use a spanner !!)

11. bjm

bjm Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Fairfield County, CT
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I just passed emmissions on my 95 355. I have tubi with test pipes. No cats and still passed.

12. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Where are you located?

Gary

13. bjm

bjm Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Fairfield County, CT
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I am in CT.

14. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Gary -

I'm in a similar situation in North Carolina. BJM's Connecticut test is interesting. For his 355, the standards would have been 1.0 CO, and 125 HC. That seems much stricter than my North Carolina requirements (1.2 CO and 220 HC) if I understand the numbers correctly.

http://dep.state.ct.us/air2/regs/mainregs/sec27.pdf

Now, if his 1995 355 passed with test pipes and Tubi, then maybe I've got a chance with my 1990 348 (pipes & borla).

Am I all wet?

-Daniel

15. bjm

bjm Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Fairfield County, CT
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Daniel
    FYI

At the emmissions test, I asked them not to dyno the car because I was concerned they would scrape the bottom of the car driving it up on the dyno. Instead they stuck 2 probes in each exhaust and reved the car to about 2500-3000 where they held it for a minute or so while their computer did its thing.

I drove the car for about 30 mins before the test to get the engine warmed up and running leaner and I made sure to have a full tank of shell 93 octane aswell(not sure if this matters)

The tester said my scores were not even close to failing. He told me he had a 97 spider in last week, and that car failed, something to do with the ODBII computer not working properly.

BJM

16. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman

Did you change or modify the ECU to work with the test pipes? How about the sound, is it that much greater with test pipes?