Why do some F Cars have shields? | FerrariChat

Why do some F Cars have shields?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by vref, Jan 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vref

vref Karting

Dec 18, 2003
    1 Hr North of Housto
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Why do some cars have the Ferrari shield on the fender and some do not? Was it an option? Does it mean something?

ooops .posted this in the wrong place.

2. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Typically and option 90% of the time. I personally love them! :)

3. scuderia47

scuderia47 Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Mainland
    Full Name:
    Bill
    back in the day, enzo put them on his racing cars for good luck....and to identify the marque i suppose.

4. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman

To add to the above post: Ferrari has put the shields on special edition production cars for many years (cost free) ie F40, F50, Enzo, 360 Stradale.

I believe Ferrari deceided to make it an ($1250) option to install the shields on standard production cars with the F 355 and on (in around 97/98).

5. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    vref, sorry to interrupt your post, but your not an Airline Pilot are you? Just curious from your username.

6. vref

vref Karting

Dec 18, 2003
    1 Hr North of Housto
    Full Name:
    Jim

Yep good guess. I use it for my email also.

7. RobD

RobD Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    USA
    Years ago, I was told the shields were put on the road cars that were produced in certain numbers to homologate a competition version for a race series.

8. joeyy

joeyy Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    long island
    Full Name:
    joe
    the badges were put on a car if it had a Scaglietti work done to it.

9. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    the prancing horse on the shield with the letters S and F originally appeared on several Alfa Romeos when Enzo Ferrari was the Alfa race team manager before WWII. The S and F stand for 'Scuderia Ferrari', literally meaning Stable Ferrari, or Team Ferrari.

As far as I know, until about the mid-1980s the SF shield never appeared on production cars; only race cars. And even then, the only race cars the shields were put on were entrants officially sponsored by the Ferrari factory. Race cars originally sold to privateers generally did not wear the SF shields because they were not factory team cars. It made no difference whether the bodywork was designed by Vignale, Pininfarina or Scaglietti (the coachwork designers had their own badging on the cars). The earliest exception I've seen to this rule were the sports racers delivered to and raced in California in the mid-late 1950s by Johnnie Von Neumann, Richie Ginther, Carroll Shelby, et al. Given the tight affiliation between Ferrari and these early american Ferrari pioneers, Ferrari may have viewed them as factory cars.

The first production cars I know of to have the SF shields applied by the factory were the 288 GTOs. After that, I don't know of any rhyme or reason other than the shields became options. I think they look good and are a neat way to remind everyone of Ferrari's racing pedigree.

10. aventino

aventino Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2003
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    David L
    Reminds me of:

Q "How can you tell at a party if someone's a pilot?"

A "Give them five minutes and they'll be sure to tell you".

Or. A pilot's out on a first date with a girl and after about a hour of telling her how wonderful he is he says "right, that's enough about me let's talk about flying..."

11. shelbee

shelbee Guest

Asked anyone who knows me including Sean from Steve Harris, it is a MUST option on my F-cars :)

It is an absolute for Ferrari, IMO

12. shelbee

shelbee Guest

Sean, Still looking for 2000 or newer 456M GT with shields