? For Allan | FerrariChat

? For Allan

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by EspritSE, Jan 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. EspritSE

EspritSE Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Allan, or anyone with some advice to offer,

I am moving to Oahu at the end of the month, and need to ship my Esprit. I have already sent my 2003 Discovery from Denver, and it did arrive in one piece, just had to send it open carrier from Denver to LA. I think it ran me $1700+.

Who did you use to ship your cars? Anybody to avoid?

Thanks,

Craig

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    He's on a thread in General Discussion. PM him from his profile over there!

3. EspritSE

EspritSE Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Thanks man...

4. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    What are you going to do on the island?

Just wondering, as I just returned to the mainland.

5. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Shipping cars is a pain in a$$. If you send them through Madsen, you drop it off at the port, and they take it away and you hope you get it in one piece. Union workers get to drive your car, and from what i heard, its not uncommon for them to have a little too much fun. I sent my cars in an enclosed, locked trailer directly from Scottsdale. Cost, around $20,000, but this included my furniture.

6. EspritSE

EspritSE Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Craig

Getting married to a locat girl February 7th. We met in college here in Denver 12 years ago, and she had to move home recently to help take care of her sick sister.
    I've worked for Land Rover here for 7 years, and am trying to get on with the dealer there for a while. They are splitting the shared facility of Porsche and Land Rover, and finally building a dedicated LR Centre. Where did you live in the islands.

Allan-

Madsen shipped my Disco in a container, but to save some $$, I shipped it open to Cali. I think I may take a weekend and drive it to the port myself.

(Now, if I can just find an excuse to head over to Maui shortly after the wedding and check out Allan's fleet ;) . Although I don't think my esprit is much of a match for the SV!!)

Thanks
    Craig

7. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    All the cars come over by Madsen, but to get to Hawaii, this is the process. I would of had to drop off my Lambo and Fcar at the port, where some porter would drive off with it. Then they would load it themselves. Once it gets to Honolulu, it is taken off the boat, and driven by another porter to another dock and reloaded again. I wasnt going to let that happen. My friends Jetta arrived with the front bumper detached, and they are not responsible for damage due to ride hide. Also, since the dock workers are Union employees, they cannot be fired. So basicly, they dont give a crap about your car. Now i my Cadillac, i shipped normally, and it came fine.

If your in Maui, let me know!

8. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Craig - I lived on the North end of the Windward Side, by Turtle Bay... little town called Laie where the Polynesian Cultural Center and my college is. I graduated in the spring and moved to Boston for law school - we miss Hawaii a lot, especially when it's 0F out.

Since you're marrying a local girl, she'll know everything about the islands (spares my advice).

One thing, get to Duke's at Outrigger Waikiki and have the "Hula Pie" out on the lanai. THAT'S what dreams are made of! (It's a 6-8" tall slice of haupia and cookie ice cream pie, cookie crust and a small jar's worth of fudge drenching the whole plate - just share one, it's enough :)

My single biggest regret is not snorkeling enough.

9. EspritSE

EspritSE Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Turtle Bay is absolutely beautiful! I've done some sailing in Kaneohe Bay, but have not spent a whole lot of time around Turtle Bay. I did play golf not far from the Cultural Center. Can't quite remember the name of the course though. I've been through Laie, the Polynesian Culturaul Center is pretty impressive. I couldn't believe the traffic that backed up from everyone leaving. My girl's family lives in Kaneohe. Not too far from where you were. I really love the Windward side. It's nice to hear the waterfalls after a good rain.

Duke's!!! Been there! Hula Pie should be against the law.

I'll be living in the Waterfront Towers in town untill we can find a house.

Allan-

How big of a deal is it to take a car from Oahu to Maui? (or possibly the Big Island?) Is there a ferry or something? I'd like to explore the islands in the Lotus someday. I have not been to Maui for about 10 years. Next time I'm there, I'll just follow the sounds of high horsepower. If you spot some psycho in a white Esprit in your mirror, it's just me!

Craig

10. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Craig, how in the world do you think you'll be keeping up in my rear view mirror? LOL Just kidding.

I think you can send the car form Oahu for about 100.00 .