audi sport quattro | FerrariChat

audi sport quattro

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by luke9583, Jan 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. luke9583

luke9583 Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Detroit Michigan
    Full Name:
    Luke Wells
    did the 1984' audi sport quattro officially come to the states? I found a PERFECT ONE w/ 50k miles for $5k.

2. kenny

kenny Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2003
    Greenwich , CT
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    It was called the Audi Coupe GT in the states, and production ran until 1987.. I think they were brought to the U.S. in 1984 as well..

3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    It is a bit confusing. The original Audi Quattro Coupe was imported into the US from 83 until maybe 87, I'm not sure... the one I used to own was an 83.

They also had an Audi Coupe, which looked very similar but was not all wheel drive, nor turbo, and much lower performance. You can tell the difference easily by the flares on a true Quattro Coupe.

The Sport Quattro was a different car altogether. It looked like a Quattro Coupe with about 6 inches taken out of the length, all in the rear window area. The Sport Quattro was really a homologation for the Group B rally cars. They are very rare, were never officially imported into the US, and are damn fast (my brother has one).

If you are looking at a Quattro Coupe, it is a fun car. The reliability is not up to modern Audi (or Ferrari, for that matter) standards-- Audi really has improved their quality control since those days. Mine had numerous problems, as did my brother's (he also has a Quattro Coupe, in addition to the Sport Quattro). The turbos fail regularly.

4. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    As a long time Quattro owner, I can tell you that the various models are often confused. It all started with the 4000 sedan (USA, Audi 80 everywhere else), 2 or 4 door, front wheel drive in the mid 1970's. The Audi Coupe (and Coupe GT) was the "fastback" 2 door version (5 cyl, front wheel drive) which came out a little later and lasted until the late 1980's.
    In the late 1970's Audi engineers, without the knowledge of upper management, installed the 5 cyl. engine and all wheel drive system from VW's Iltis, a Jeep like military vehicle, into a Audi 80 4 door sedan, then gave the Chairman of VW/Audi a little test ride up a very steep and slippery hill at their test track, the project was approved. The Audi Quattro was unveiled at the 1980 Geneva Show. It was a combination of the Audi Coupe body (with flaired fenders added), a 200 hp 5 cyl. turbocharged engine and the all wheel drive system. It went on to dominate the rally world for several years in basically stock, modified and racing versions.
    The US spec Quattros were de-tuned to 160 hp and very expensive at approx. $35K. About 650 US cars were brought in from 1982 thru 1986. The rest of the world got these cars up into the early 1990's with the later versions having a turbo version of the 4 valve engine used in the naturally aspirated (na) awd Audi Coupe Quattro (US 1990-1991).
    The Audi Quattro Sport was a short wheelbase version with an all aluminum 4 valve engine specific to that model and other factory racing Quattros. There was a production run of street cars, 306 hp, huge brakes, Kevlar body panels with a very nice GT type interior. Sort of Audi's version of the Ferrari 250 GT swb. The Quattro Sport was not US legal, probably 10-20 have made it into the US as gray market cars and they command $100K today.
    4 door awd Audis started with the 4000s Quattro (na) in 1984, the 5000CS (turbo) in 1986, the 200 in 1991 with the 4 valve/turbo engine which continued in the S4/S6 thru 1997. The 5 cyl Audi is nothing but a VW engine with an extra cyl, ie, 2,2L 5 cyl Audi = 1.8 VW GTI, 4 valve/ 5 cyl. Audi = 16 valve GTI.

in general:
    Audi Coupe and Coupe GT are 5 cyl na, front wheel drive, w/o big fenders

Audi Quattro is 5 cyl turbo w/AWD, big fenders, $6-10K for decent examples, known as the "ur-Quattro" or TQC (turbo quattro coupe)

Audi Quattro Sport is BIG turbo, short wb, $100K, very rare in US

Audi Coupe Quattro is 5 cyl, na, 4 valve per (20 valve total), AWD

for US models: http://www.audiworld.com/model/historical.html

5. Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2003
    DC Metro/MD
    Full Name:
    Ben
    I absolutely LOVE the SQ :D That 20V engine just sounds so other worldly and when coupled with that somewhat over the top 80's body style it's just such a great car. I almost bought a Ginster Yellow '91 Coupe Quattro a year or two ago, but financially it wasn't totally reasonable at the time so I had to pass :(. Great looking cars although a bit underpowered (a good excuse to drop in a 20V-T engine though:))

GREAT, but short vid: http://www.nordicaudi.com/media/filmer/filmer/privata/011112/ombcoupe.mpg

More vids including a bunch of Dhalback Racing's SQ:
    http://www.nordicaudi.com/media/filmer/filmer_index.htm