Who drinks Martinis? | FerrariChat

Who drinks Martinis?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Meister, Jan 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Do you and what do you like?

2. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    While on topic, this weekend I'll be picking up a bunch of Tito's Handmade Vodka here in Austin, TX. I'm shipping it out to some track fellows out in CA. If you'd like some, let me know. Relatively inexpensive. Bottles are 15 and 18 bucks. I should get 15% off and will ship at cost. Not looking for a dime profit on this, only covering costs to spread the joy of Tito's Vodka from Austin. www.titosvodka.com want some? let me know. I prefer buying in bulk.

3. Erich

Erich Formula 3

Sep 9, 2003
    Poway CA
    Full Name:
    Erich Coiner
    A proper martini is made with gin. Just like real chili has no beans :0

I call my favorite "The Sahara"

Bombay Blue Sapphire Gin
    Fine French Vermouth in a SEALED bottle.

salute France with the Vermouth bottle
    Then wave the bottle over the martini glass filled with gin.
    Add olive

Salud!

4. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I like Vodka martini's... I've been into 'Italian Martinis"... 3 oz good vodka and 1-1.5 oz amaretto.

5. LP400S

LP400S Formula 3

May 18, 2002
    West Coast
    I've been hooked on chocolate martini's lately.

6. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    I get Plaid Martini's. I was told it was invented by the bartender at the Ritz-Carlton New Orleans, where I always get it. It is Midori and Vodka mixed in a shaker with ice and then strained into a martini glass. The Chambord is poured in to the glass. It sinks to the bottom creating a green layer on top and the red layer on bottom. When held up to the light it looks like it is plaid.

7. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Comprende, but some prefer vodka martini's, like myself. And regarding chili and beans.. boy, we know it for sure down here in Texas! Real chili does NOT have beans!

8. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    1. Vox-rocks

2. Ketel Gimlet- easy Roses

3. Ketel Martini-Extra dry, w/sweet vermouth

DL

9. Erich

Erich Formula 3

Sep 9, 2003
    Poway CA
    Full Name:
    Erich Coiner
    Schatten wrote

And regarding chili and beans.. boy, we know it for sure down here in Texas! Real chili does NOT have beans!

Yep. and BBQ means Brisket.

Although Pork ribs are mighty tough to beat.

10. Erich

Erich Formula 3

Sep 9, 2003
    Poway CA
    Full Name:
    Erich Coiner
    Schatten opined:

Comprende, but some prefer vodka martini's, like myself

We will just have to agree to disagree on this issue.

At least we have Chili in common.

Erich

11. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Belvedere Vodka - up - with Olives

I like the Olive's stuffed with Blue Cheese

12. racedecknc

racedecknc Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    Winston Salem
    Full Name:
    Ed
    I've never had a martini, but I'll have to try one sometime.

Ed

13. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    I know it may sound a little soft but I am crazy about Espresso Martinis. There is a great restaurant/bar around the corner from my house called Tomatoes that makes them very nicely. I think they are made with:

Vodka
    Creme de Cocoa
    Espresso
    Sugar around the rim

It sounds a little poofy but it tastes like espresso and knocks you on your ass!

14. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    "Poofy"... see that's why I asked... My wife thinks Martinis are a little "poofy" in general. I told her James Bond drinks martinis and that good enough for me =) I don't care for the taste of beer or other mixed drinks with pop (carbonation). Thus I've been looking into other things like Martinis, Manhattans... etc something smooth with some good taste. Just guess I just wanted to know what others thought. Thanks

15. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Gus, my parents love tomatoes!!!!!!
    Erik

16. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    I only like them "dirty", which is odd since I can't stand olives. I generally stay from them though. You know, the 3-tit rule.

17. khayes

khayes Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Kelly Hayes
    Chocolate Martini's at Reed's Jazz & Supper Club in Austin. Mmmmmmm. I think I'll have me a few tonight.

I prefer vegetarian chili so mine has beans. Sorry, no red meat passes these lips.

Has anyone tried a bottle of Conundrum white table wine from Caymus? Oh my goodness! Now, that is worth chatting about.

18. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Gave them and all booze up 8 years ago. With that said, all the fancy martinis were not around, it was either gin or vodka. Gin was my choice; "in and out" or no vermouth(Erich's method), 3 olives and dirty(a few drops of olive juice). Loved Tanqueray . . .a little to much.

One thing, I will never miss are the heated discussions(arguments) and hangovers from gin martinis.

19. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    Question: "Who drinks Martinis?"
    Answer: "James Bond!"
    ...who else?

sorry, just kidding when I saw the question but to be honest I`m also in love with Martinis!

Wolfarossa
    FORZA FERRARI

20. abarre

abarre Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    I'm a purist I guess. Been drinking Martinis for about 15 years now. That means I was a dork way back when.... Long before the current craze of serving random-colored fruity-ass drinks in a martini glass. FWIW, I was smoking cigars before the craze of the late-80's too.

Martini's are made from good, cold gin. Period. I like mine extra-dry with olives. I've owned exactly one bottle of vermouth and it's still almost full.

Put two shots of your favorite gin in a metal shaker with some ice. Shake quickly (don't let the ice melt too much). Strain into a martini glass with a couple of olives and enjoy.

My favorite gin is Boodles. Tanquerey is great, with a nice aromatic flavor. Beefeater is also great, very dry and strong. I personally don't see what all the fuss is about Bombay Sapphire... pretty weak and lifeless to me. Tanquerey no. 10 is interesting, but REALLY aromatic and spicy.

I've never met anyone who liked their first martini. Myself included. They are definitely an acquired taste. Once acquired, I don't think there is a finer drink.... Took me four or five to start appreciating them.

Vodkatinis are OK every now and then. My current favorite vodka being Belvedere. Ketel One is good too. I think Grey Goose is WAY overrated and flavorless.

Don't get me started on single-malt scotches....

21. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    Have you tried Chopin Vodka? I've been told to try it or another Vodka made from potato instead of grain. I usually always have my drinks made with Grey Goose or Belvedere depending on where I am.

22. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Why not?

23. abarre

abarre Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Because I like 4-5 gins. More like 25-30 single malts. I could get on a rant and be here for a week! ;-)

24. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I was really into Martinis for awhile and then just realized I like olives, so I'm just back to beer for the longer outings and red wine for nice meals.

25. ronr

ronr Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2002
    DFW, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    From the time I started reading this thread and saw the Italian Martini, I went and made one with some Ketel One & amaretto. Now, having completed the thread, and half my Italian Martini, I have a pretty good buzz! (I had a bit of a head start, but I'm still feelin it!)

To me, a real martini takes gin. I like mine dirty.