Anyone watch The Apprentice? | FerrariChat

Anyone watch The Apprentice?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by cabrio_fan, Jan 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cabrio_fan

cabrio_fan Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Michael Davidson
    On the heels of Bruce's thread about money not being everything.... did anyone check out Donald Trump's reality show called The Apprentice?

I'm not trying to detract from Bruce's thread. I think it's great what he has chosen to do. I just thought it interesting that I read Bruce's post the same night they were showing Trump's penthouse on TV. Trump's pad is too rich for my taste....

2. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Watched it for ~10 minutes, it wasn't particularly engaging though Trump was pretty good on the Stern show this morning.

3. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    Friend of mine wanted to drag me to the casting in Miami. I declined because I would have told Donald what an arogant Dic* he is in our first meet. Another reason why i will not go to Mar A Largo this year at Cavallino.
    He got me really upset last year. I wanted to pi$$ in his flowerbed to express my feelings but my wife said no.

4. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    i saw it, it was ok, a couple of hotties on there, but it seemed to me to be a big ego stroke for the donald

5. BrentC

BrentC Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2003
    Like most "reality" shows I thought it was pretty formulaic - you've got your maverick who sucks up to "the Donald" and pisses everyone off, you've got a few hardworking guys and some entrepreneurs plus the requisite men vs. women dynamic. Nothing really new or interesting here.

One thing I got a big kick out of was his penthouse - what a dump! I guess those who say money can't buy taste are right. It's like he put every Renaissance/Roccoco objet d'art/trinket he could find into his apartment to make it look "classy" and "European". Who was it that said some people "know the price of everything but the value of nothing"? That was the sort of impression I had from his pad.

6. benedict

benedict Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ben

Now I'm curious. How did the Donald "dis" you enough to give you this pent up angst? Can you say?

Ben Caiola

7. MarkG

MarkG Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Watched it up to the point where teams were divided into men vs. women - and the women used sex to outsell the men in lemonaid; at that point it became obviouse this was yet another 'reality' show joke, I then switched over to that other farcical comedy CSI

8. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I only wish I had known about the casting. I would have loved to be on that show!!!

My ideas to succeed in last nights episode...... why didn't the people selling lemonade get separate little coolers & split up? That would allow more locations.....ie franchise. Also, why didn't they go to where there are tons of tourists!!! Talk about location/marketing......Set up shop by the old WTC and sell by letting people konw that your donating 25% of your profits to the families of the WTC. You'd definitely sell a lot of lemonade. And, you would also be donating to a good cause. Gheez, the people they got for that show dissapointed me.

Donald's apartment is absolutely hideous. It looks like the directors of Miami Vice set it up for an episode. Way too much. The only nice thing there was his girlfriend!!

That said however, I am definitely going to watch it.

9. cabrio_fan

cabrio_fan Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Michael Davidson
    I liked it myself. It was totally Survivor rebranded. But then again I like Survivor....

1. Open Survivor transcript
    2. Find the word "Survivor"
    3. Replace with "The Apprentice"
    4. Change location to Manhattan
    5. Insert Trump for Probst

Even some of the dialog in the "who gets voted off... whoops, I mean fired" section was the same as Survivor.

But, in the end, it was actually education TV (to a ~very~ small degree) for someone like me who is looking to leave the corporate world to set up my own biz. (Trust me. I'm not going to run my new biz like a Manhattan lemonade stand!!! LOL) I just thought some of the perspectives on business/leadership were interesting.

I'm planning to watch the rest of it. I'm sure that the challenges will get more interesting. Next week they will be doing something with the corporate jets. Designs for them or something. I'll tune in.

Mike

10. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    This exact thought came to mind when I saw him pitching his show on CNN the other day. For someone with so much business sense, intelligence, power, and ability, you'd think he'd know that that combover/toupe just isn't working for him.

-R

11. racerx

racerx Guest

Nov 23, 2003
    I missed it but it was probably marble, marble and gold plated marble, however did anyone see his new golf course in NY state- spectacular.

He seems like a nice guy and always a smart alek, but as far as talent, the only talent he has is blowing his own horn. He got his start off his old mans huge real estate holdings. Thats how he got loans for billions and as the real estate threads show thats where the appreciation and wealth building occurs.

Hey anybody want to join me on a flight on TRUMP AIR to go and see the NJ Generals play in the world bowl!!!!!
    T

12. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Trumps apart: tacky granite, so petty like 'new money' half of my neighbors here in newport beach have that gaudy marble/granite.

the guys f'd up, them name sucked, they were too middle management to actually produce, i woulda had a starving stockbrokers sign and stood out in times square AND wallst. also a barker would have worked well too.

i used to sell crap on streets in ny, the best thing i ever did, was wear my socks and underwear on the OUTSIDE of my suit, turned my jacket inside out, wore my tie on my head (rambo) and yelled for people to buy my insane deals on junk before the cops come and take me away.

it worked, i sold tacky tshirts and other crap by myself and did better then the guys. now i can afford all the lithium i can take.

13. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    I met Donald Trump at Club 835 or 825, something like that, in Palm Beach. Seemed to be a very personable guy and didnt mind hanging out with regular people, albeit, we were in the Vip lounge. Also, has great taste in cars, was there in a pristine white 25th Anniversary Countach, with my, at the time 87 Countach parked right behind him. Bumped into him again, sometime after, when he was in a Blue Diablo Roadster.

14. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    His new golf course is 2 miles from my house, in the next town over. I know people who used to drive thier cars onto the greens and do donuts before he bought it. I've never been in it, but im sure i would hate it beacuse 1/2 of the people there are probably arrogant pricks, which is characteristic of rich people in the town it is in. I think membership is like $600k a year, so i dont think i'll ever even have to worry about the people there. So since ity costs that much, whoever gets to "be president of one of his companies" with the whopping salary of $250k couldnt even afford to join. I personally would have expected a ceo of one of his companies to make alot more than that.

15. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

The Donald is a pretty incredible guy, but his taste on interior decorating is pretty gaudy! ( nice term for scary )

16. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Tim - it's probably the mail distribution company for his hotel.

17. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Wow, over a dozen posts and nobody mentions his hottie girlfriend?? You guys are slipping :)

Melania looks tasty.

They picked the right dork to fire though. The guy may be able to jump through hoops well enough but when someone asks if you would have been a better leader the ideal reply is not, "in this instance, no, becuase sales is not my forte." What did the guy expect? LOL I've yet to meet a company prez who couldn't sell.

18. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    C'mon that pageant he runs is its own 'reality show'.
    "What runner-up wants to date the Donald"
    Not to be confused with the "the Don" of F-Chat infamy.

19. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    I liked the show, and yes they fired the right guy, although the other little dork needs to go next, way too annoying.

20. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    How about that 23 year old realtor that says she is in the top 3%nationwide. She was pretty hot, something tells me she could be the one left knowing "The Donald". I saw that blue diablo roadster of his for sale a while back. Not bad but not sure about the white interior.

21. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    Its and interesting show to watch to see what happens next. The Donald though does kinda come off arrogant though. But then again maybe he can be at this point. How did he really get started to begin with? More details than someone posted above? He does need a hair cut, and wow gold all over the place in that apartment. Thats when you know you have to much money you dont know what to do with it so you tell them to just plate everything in gold and marble. But wow what a view!

ps the girlfriend was hot, but who knows how long she will be around

22. rt207

rt207 Karting

Jan 4, 2004
    Full Name:
    ryan
    The md mba pos arse deserved to get the boot. Did he think a handful of degrees would compensate for lack of charcter? I predict that a female will when just becasue of mr t's lust for women, this isn't a show business, it is a game for him to toy with people. I also predict that his book sales will rise because of this.

23. noahlh

noahlh Formula 3

Aug 28, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Noah
    Saw it and loved it, and I'm usually pretty anti-crap-reality shows. VERY glad the Dr./MBA/VC nitwit got the boot, because anyone who thinks that a few degrees is all it takes to be a VC surely is a moron....(and yes, that means there are a LOT of VC morons out there).

Also agreed, that kid Sam is a bit annoying, but he gets respect from me for actually having started his own company (which takes balls balls and balls)