I got it! 85 308 GTB QV Black on Black | FerrariChat

I got it! 85 308 GTB QV Black on Black

Discussion in 'Texas' started by LSU348, Jan 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LSU348

LSU348 Formula 3

Dec 19, 2003
    Sugar Land
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hey all,

Picked up the car today...well, it was delivered to me. Runs great and will receive fresh fluids all around this weekend. Oil pressure holds strong, water temp is superb in dead stop traffic, A/C dead as a doornail...per the PPI (I knew it). Car runs really smooth. I wish the tranny was a little smoother but I bet new gear old will fix that. Will post more later. My baby is needy at the moment.

-Mike

2. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Congrats! Post some pictures soon!

3. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Thats great news, you are a very fortunate man. Enjoy your 308GTB.

4. LSU348

LSU348 Formula 3

Dec 19, 2003
    Sugar Land
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I will post pics in a bit. She got driven around in the rain yesterday while being inspected and sniffed in the butt. I need to clean her before I take pictures of her. Won't take much.

5. LSU348

LSU348 Formula 3

Dec 19, 2003
    Sugar Land
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #5 LSU348, Jan 9, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

7. LSU348

LSU348 Formula 3

Dec 19, 2003
    Sugar Land
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yes, I had seen those articles. I have the tempermental 2nd gear. After I can see a move in the water temp the tranny shifts into second fine. First to third works for me on warmup. Thanks though.

My reference too the tranny is mostly due to the fact that my daily driver is a BMW 328Ci...its tranny can be handled with 1 finger. Yup...it has spoiled me rotten.

I just do not want to hurt the tranny by forcing it into gears. As I become more confortable with the car I am sure I can move through the gears faster. Will try double clutching once I get used to the car. Kinda double clutched it on a downshift today and it felt very nice.

8. 4Webers

4Webers Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    Congratulations Mike

You will soon become close friends with G.T. Car Parts, Dennis McCann, T. Rutlands, Mr. Ebay ... :) It's all great though. You only thought you loved Ferrari's before, just wait!

9. LSU348

LSU348 Formula 3

Dec 19, 2003
    Sugar Land
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Soon become friends?? Ohh noo...I am already sleeping with eBay. Several saved searches in progress.

10. LSU348

LSU348 Formula 3

Dec 19, 2003
    Sugar Land
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Well...the car had absolutely no dings on it...see that trailer in the pic above? I drifted the car back in neutral like a bone head and dinked the door on one of the trailer frame rails...oh yea...that was bright. Time to break out the gloss black touch up kit. 2nd day and I dink it...REAL bright :(

11. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Congrat on your new purchase!

I had a little ding last week, too, but that's way of life, right?

I haven't still found the touch up paint yet for mine.

Enjoy your car, it looks great shape. Post more pics of inside, too when you can. I like the dashboard of 308. Better looking than newer models in my opinion.

I hear you can make this car real fast at Norwood by putting turbo.

Yoshi Ace

12. LSU348

LSU348 Formula 3

Dec 19, 2003
    Sugar Land
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #12 LSU348, Jan 11, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here is a new pic that shows what happens when you use a 7 qt oil drain pan to hold 8 qts of oil. Note to those who have never been under a 308. Those two plugs you see in the middle are the 12mm oil drain plug (furthest away) and the 10mm gear box drain. Both are hex heads. 12mm ones are hard to find. I have a L shaped 12mm hex head wrench that works with the use of a cheater.

Note...my garage floor is painted for just such an emergency.

Put Royal purple in it. 8 qts. Runs even better now. Exhaust stinks a lot less too. Wife appreciated that a lot. Got to redo the weather seals on my inner garage door...stunk up the whole house warming her up.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. LSU348

LSU348 Formula 3

Dec 19, 2003
    Sugar Land
    Full Name:
    Mike
    One other thing. If you just want to change the engine oil do NOT drain the rear most plug (closest to you in above pic). The engine oil and gear oil are not one in the same.

I did not drain the rear one.

If in doubt put your fingers on both after warming up the car for 10 or so minutes. The one that cooks your finger is the oil drain. The semi cool one is the gear box oil drain.

14. khayes

khayes Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Kelly Hayes
    Congratulations on the new car. It looks awsome in black with the gold wheels. Let the fun begin...

15. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Hey Mike, watch the OIL temperature, not the water!!! My car never see's 2nd gear until the OIL temp is off the peg.

Sorry about your first oil change! :)

16. LSU348

LSU348 Formula 3

Dec 19, 2003
    Sugar Land
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Jim, once the water moves the oil is already moving on mine.