Restaurant theme ideas needed..Please help! | FerrariChat

Restaurant theme ideas needed..Please help!

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by PeterS, Jan 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    My girlfriend is opening a new restaurant (shoot me). She wants to do a vintage 20's / 30's theme inclusive of jazz and blues. She has several thousand old record covers she can scatter about, Victrolla's, etc. She needs ideas on the general decor and what type of posters/prints can be hung on the walls.

Thanks for your replies in advance!

Pete

2. cohiba_man

cohiba_man Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2003
    Canada
    Full Name:
    John
    I think a 30's theme is good, but like a 30's gentlemen's club would be really cool, decorated in really rich woods, dark leathers, dim lighting and staff dressed 1930's formal, complete the atmosphere with a seperate after dinner cognac and cigar room for the men (although women are allowed in as well).

3. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    PETER

IS SHE IN TO ART DECCO??

4. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    BRUCE: She thought about the art decco sceme. Victrolla's though are 1906 to about the 20's. Can the two be melted together with some class? Personaly, I think the Victrolla theme thing is a bit to old and dusty.

5. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    ME TO PETE, BUT NO OFFENSE TO YOUR G/F.............IN THE CITY I KNOW OF ALOT OF NOSTALGIA ART DECO PLACES..........

6. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Tell her to go with a Franchise. You would be very suprised to see the difference in sales a national chain restaurant can achieve compared to a single unit no name. Not saying it doesn't work but why not stack the deck in your favor. Worth every extra dime it costs in royalties and Franchise fees.

7. twinturbo

twinturbo Karting

Nov 10, 2003

RUN!! RUN!!! RUN!!! get away from the restaurant business it is the DEVIL ... everyone will screw you over ... everyone will make more money than you ... RUN!!!

so i've been told

8. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    id make it a movie theater slash movie theater slash bar and depending on what movie you are playing that is what your theme is for the night a westren movie lots of steak and mexican type food. watching a kung fu movie asian food, watching a mobster movie italian food. so on and so on and have tables instead of like movie seats with liek bar table sin fornt of them and choose movies oyu dont really have to watch to well becuase if you have to actualyl watch them noones gonna be able to eat and drink and have fun. i think tha twould be fun

9. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    TwinT..You are preaching to the chior! That's why I said 'Shoot me'!

96...I REALLY like that idea!

10. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    it probally be costly and complicated but worth it without a doubt

11. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Peter - go into some detail about what cuisine will be served. This will help narrow the focus on how to get it right the first time, and hopefully assist in your gal's ambitions. If it's not going to be a Delta Juke joint - or a Cotton Club - then meet it halfway.

To that end, listen to some "Jazz Blues" - (Jazz that is harmonically and rhytmically simple or Blues that is harmonically and rhythmically complex). The artists who best fulfill that criteria are Jimmy Witherspoon, Jimmy Rushing, Lonnie Johnson, Big Jay McNeely, Pete Johnson, Sam "The Man" Taylor, Esther Phillips, Roy Milton and myself (laughter ensues).
    While listening to the above - It's possible that you could close your eyes and smell the food cooking and "see" the place you're in.

An overpriced Interior Decorator's routine suggestion is for you to find magazines you enjoy and cut colors from ads you like out - put clippings in a shoebox. That's the basic palette - you'll see that some colors stay in the box, others are "what was I thinking?" The key is to do get "what was I thinking?" out of the way before doing anything that costs time and money. It doesn't mean not doing "anything" - it just means being a little more prepared to tackle the project and to envision what it will look like.

12. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    WAX: Since it's a bit 'hooterville' where we live, the food will be basic steaks, chicken, pasta, etc. All great, but nothing big city-high-end, high-priced.

13. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    I could care less how a restaurant is decorated, or what is hanging on the walls.
    If the food was good as well as the service, then I'll be back.
    If not... all the wonderfully placed decorations in the world wouldn't bring me back.
    Theme restaurants go in and out of style, good food does not.
    Just my thought.

14. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Basic reasons I asked about the menu:

This is the Menu from Morgan Freeman's Ground Zero Blues Club in Clarksdale, Mississippi
    http://www.groundzerobluesclub.com/menu.html

Click on the Opening Night pictures to see the man swingin' and the club's interior/exterior. That's a Blues joint, alright.

Years ago - was it 8, 9? I went as a guest of one of the owners to the Industry (2nd night) grand opening of House of Blues in L.A.. Bas relief portraits of Bluesmen & women up high gave one something to ponder without interrupting line of sight or flow & prevent theft or damage. Haven't been back since - simply can't top that night. Hooooooweeeeeeee. Left there to go to "The Room" behind Catalina's Jazz Club in Hollywood off Cahuenga. The Room had barely opened, itself. What a night. Man. It was the key to me getting back to L.A. full-time, as I got toasted with my then future employer. (Left that employ @7-8 years ago - basically, I've been independent since then). If I'm not mistaken, there's still no sign indicating the location of The Room - just a light bulb. Keeps it "Hip."

A wise man once told me, the food has got to be so good, it's better than the service. Some will say if the food is good - they don't care if the service sucks, they'll be back. I like both to be good, but I know what my priorities are when I go someplace to be served food and drink. The priority (as with any business) of those providing the food, drink and service is to get the customer to come back to a a place that has clean utensils and preparation areas - "atmosphere" or no "atmosphere."

Bottom line, if the look of Morgan's club is too raw - a Jazz club is a more cooked, if you can dig it, jazzman... little things help make a destination "Hip"

15. bigbaddad

bigbaddad Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    John Roberts
    There is a cinema supper club here in Scottsdale, it's pretty cool. We have been to it a few times.

http://www.azeats.com/farrellis/default.htm

-John