What do you guys do to keep your car clean in winter? | FerrariChat

What do you guys do to keep your car clean in winter?

Discussion in 'New England' started by ryalex, Jan 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    This is my first time having a car somewhere it snows.

I just had a hilarious experience trying to wash my car at a DIY place - the foam and then the rinse froze as it hit the car... I managed to get most of the ice off and get it into the sun, but by the time I got home it was powdered with salt again. Some California Car Duster action took care of that, but the whole experience was a hand-numbing pain.

What do you all do? Drive through car washes? The touchless ones?

2. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    I get the car washed in the car park under my office - it is above zero down there so no freezing - its a hand wash and dry place and they do a good job.

Mind you my car is now safely tucked up in the Garage, probably until March!

3. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    You bring the car to me and have it washed j/k. It is really tough to wash the car in the winter, especially in the city. Most of my customers end up having me hand wash the car for them in our heated garage. If you want to wash it yourself, your best bet is to pay attention to the weather forecast and wash the car at a DIY wash on the warmest day possible (this week that would be yesterday at a whopping 6 degrees F!). On a side note, do not use the California Car Duster to get off dirt/salt. It will scratch the paint. Only use the CCD to wipe off dust when it has not rained since you washed the car. Hope this helps.

4. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Yeah, it was just light dust from the drive home; wasn't anything gritty.

-R

5. Nabbs

Nabbs Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    Manhattan, NY
    Full Name:
    Naveed
    Which DIY place did you use? The one in Sommerville or the one in Watertown (I use the latter)?

Since I am like you and do not have a hose, I usually wash at the DIY place then wax like crazy in my garage. The Watertown drive through is good enough for my daily (the Z won't see anything but hand washes).

PS - do you live on campus? I mentioned before that I park at HLS.

-N

6. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    I wait until it's up at or above freezing & wash it in the driveway. The water will warm it up enough so it can be washed. At worst the rinse will leave a film of ice that will sublimate in a few hours when the sun hits it.

I have dumped a bottle of windshield cleaner into the wash bucket to help keep things above freezing. At 2:1 dilution it still washes fine & usually drains off with little or no ice film. A california squeegee helps things dry also.

BTW, nitrile gloves keep your hands dry & reasonably warm.

7. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Nabbs - The one in Brighton, heading from Cambridge/Watertown to Brighton Center (market st??).

I sent you a PM - I live near Mt. Auburn Hospital, near the 16 and Mt. Auburn St. intersection.

8. nzo4re

nzo4re Karting

Mar 13, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Lassen
    The best way to keep your car clean during the New England winter is to PARK IT!

9. ChrisfromRI

ChrisfromRI Karting

Jan 28, 2003
    Foster, RI
    Full Name:
    Chris F
    Yes, parked in the garage and under car covers seems to keep my sports cars clean!

BTW, I am convinced that ultrasonic mouse/pest repellers do NOT work, or RI mice just don't mind the noise. This fall I bought a large dual transducer "commercial" unit for the garage and set it up in a central spot. I even tested it with an ultrasonic detector and it is putting out tons of ultrasonic noise. However, I am still catching as many mice as last winter in the baited traps around the perimeter of my garage.

A mouse even got into one of the regularly driven sedan's heater/blower where it was subsequently killed by the blower. I had noticed that the blower started making lots of noise so I took the car into the dealer to have it fixed. They found the mess and took care of it.

Stay warm, Chris

10. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Well, at least I found a touchless car wash place here at my mother's in Canada that charges a whopping $4 USD for a fairly good high-pressure spray-down and towel dry. Spray wax was a bank breaking $0.35 more. That's like half of what I end up dumping into those DIY machines - I swear they are timed to tick at 3/4 seconds and not real seconds.

The 40-something towel dudes liked the WRX (apparently none in my whole city... bad exchange rate+pricing+low Cdn wages); the one towel dude kept going on about his sports car, an 87 Firebird (hint: we're across from Buffalo, NY). One of those times you have to feign interest.

Chris: maybe you have deaf mice!

Nzo: Well, I do park the car, when I'm not driving it. :)

11. Nabbs

Nabbs Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    Manhattan, NY
    Full Name:
    Naveed
    Ryalex, when you get back into town, drop me a line. I was at the HLS caf. and it is *packed*! The weather has improved and I actually drove the Z to work...fun, fun, fun!

-N

12. ChrisfromRI

ChrisfromRI Karting

Jan 28, 2003
    Foster, RI
    Full Name:
    Chris F
    Ry,

They might just be deaf mice, possibly caused by the sustained trauma of listening to my own ultrasonic noisemaker. The ones I have caught this winter were all quite big too compared to prior years. This has been a banner year for mice here. However, I have not caught any in the traps for over a week now, so the problem may finally be easing.

On the '87 firebird I should comment that the first car I owned that handled pretty well was a '71 firebird. At the time I thought it was such a great handling car, as compared with my prior heavy iron musclecars. It's all relative...

Kind Regards, Chris

13. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    I make a point of not living in places where soap freezes

14. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Reversing the whip, nice.

15. racerx

racerx Guest

Nov 23, 2003
    Somebodys got a lot to do.

16. Driven1413

Driven1413 Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2004
    South Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Someone dragged this thread out, does this mean its winter already......?

17. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    Nope..just someone from Tx with a shovel digging deep to find old threads.

18. Ferrariguy2

Ferrariguy2 F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2004
    Naples, Florida
    Full Name:
    Chief

Its already freezing in MA.??!!

19. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    No, it's still warm some days. Rainy and cool this week though. But last January we had snow... ;)

20. musicman102357

musicman102357 Karting

Apr 16, 2005
    I dont drive it !!!!!!!!!

21. LAMAROSSA

LAMAROSSA Karting

Mar 22, 2004
    CT for Now
    Full Name:
    Lamarossa G. P.
    WINDEX MAN WINDEX

22. youngtifosi

youngtifosi Karting

Jun 6, 2004
    Ryan, I think this is what you're looking for. http://www.protectall.com/qelg.htm You can wash your car in the relative comfort of your garage during a blizzard, all you need is a bucket, wash mitt, and Quick n' Easy wash. No rinsing necessary.