308 not starting | FerrariChat

308 not starting

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by djgecko, Jan 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. djgecko

djgecko Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Navarre, FL
    Full Name:
    DJ Geck
    Well, here I am again......this time the car is not starting.....I have compression, plenty of battery power, no fuel smell in the exhaust, so I'm thinking fuel pump relay. I've replaced the fuel pump relay and it still will not start. The car ran fine a couple of days ago and this morning it started right up and just quit during warmup. Now it won't start at all but has plenty of compression.

Any suggestions on where else to look?

Thanks!

DJ

2. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Have you varified that you have spark?

3. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Check th fuel pump fuse.

Also check the tangs on the fuse block that hold the fuse. Check to make sure they are tight to the fuse block, and can't be moved side to side.

They have a tendency to loosen over time, causing intermittent contact.

I had this problem on one of my cars, and wiggling the fuse around about would allow the car to start.

4. djgecko

djgecko Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Navarre, FL
    Full Name:
    DJ Geck
    Yes, there is plenty of spark. I'm thinking it may be the fuel pump fuse or the cold-start"electrovalve" fuse as I read in another thread? I've taken off the fuse box cover and checked the connections. My fuel pump relay is new...........

5. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    can you hear the fuel pump running when you turn on the key?

if yes--then next look at your coils and see if the ground wire is loose

6. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    Hi, DJ--sorry to hear about the problem. Well, it must be either spark or fuel. I know that you recently replaced the air injection valve(s). Did you remove the distributer caps and/or coil wires to get at them? If so, be sure that the coil wires are reattached securely.

I assume that the engine is turning over when you hit the ignition (?). If so, as suggested, check to see if you are getting spark at the plugs.

Other possibilities , I believe could be a clogged fuel filter, a bad fuel pump, or accumulator--assuming you get spark and there's no fuel getting into the combustion chamber.

Good luck--let us know how the problem goes.

7. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    So you pulled a fuel line to verify that you have no fuel output from the fuel pump? Is this why you suspect the fuel pump relay?

8. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    My 308 died suddenly one day as I went out the driveway one day. I got it back in the garage, took off the intake hose and sprayed some starter fluid into the plemun. The car would run for a few seconds... so it was an easy way to find out the car wasn't getting any fuel. I got a new pump, installed it and the car has been great since.
    As a side note and someone please tell me if this is seriously missguided but instead of dealing with the maze of wiring and questionable relays I simply wired my new pump to one of the spare tabs where the coils draw power. I found one open tab (for lack of a better term) that gave power only when the key was turned on and put in an in-line fuse between it and the pump and I was off. I've opperated the car for over a year on that set up so it seems to work. Has been working fine for over a year so who knows....

9. djgecko

djgecko Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Navarre, FL
    Full Name:
    DJ Geck
    Well, I'm hoping I found the problem. The fuel pump fuse just fell apart when I took it out. Now where to locate one. My local foreign auto part store is closed until Monday.

The fuel pump seems to be working fine. I can hear it when trying to start the car.

10. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    "As a side note and someone please tell me if this is seriously missguided but instead of dealing with the maze of wiring and questionable relays I simply wired my new pump to one of the spare tabs where the coils draw power"

I guess my question would be, why didn't you use the wiring that was already run to the original fuel pump?

11. djgecko

djgecko Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Navarre, FL
    Full Name:
    DJ Geck
    Dave - No, I didn't check the fuel lines. The only reason I thought first to look at the relay is because I had this problem before and I just switched a couple of relays and the car ran fine. I did purchase a couple of new relays but had not put them in the car yet.

Doc - Yes, I did just replace those check valves but did not remove the distributor cap or cover. It took a bit of #@*&!!## and an extra hand from the neighbor, but I got it done. :)

12. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Dave,
    I wasn't getting any power to the fuel pump through the original line...old or new. Which meant my original pump was probably still good, but while I had things apart I decided to just go with the new one. After a new relay, fuse, new end on the wire and a lot of wasted time I still couldn't get power.
    I just couldn't get any juice from the orginal wire so I looked for an alternate power source. I thought about running new wire and mounting a switch on/under the dash (which would have been a cheap theft device as well), then I found power by the coil which was only activated by the key.
    My only concern in doing that was that the pump might get too much power... but even with a small in line fuse I've never had it blow and it's made life so much easier. =)

13. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Don't know what you have in FL, but your local chain auto parts store should have them e.g. Murrays, Pep Boys, AutoZone etc.

14. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    What about fuel filter?

Ciao

Eugenio

15. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    DJ--it does sound like the relay--they're not supposed to fall apart! I might be mistaken on this but I believe that the fuel pump relay is the same # as some other relays on the car. Check your manual on this. If so, perhaps you can swap one, which is for a less critical function, just to test things out.

16. djgecko

djgecko Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Navarre, FL
    Full Name:
    DJ Geck
    Doc - I put a brand new relay in and it still doesn't work. Checked all the connections x 3, and put in a new fuel pump fuse.........still won't start. I'm getting spark and not fuel........so, I guess this is where I check the filter, then next, the fuel pump itself. I know this car had the same problem at 5,300 miles back in May of 2002 and it was fixed at Shelton in Ft. Lauderdale. Seems they drained the old gas, replaced the fuel filter, cleaned the injector and replaced the spark plugs. I've put almost 5,000 miles on it since I bought it. They also reset the cam timing to specs and replaced the belts at that time. Tomorrow is another day and I guess I'll be checking the fuel lines :)

Thanks - DJ

17. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    DJ-

Sell the car, it's beyond repair! :)

18. djgecko

djgecko Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Navarre, FL
    Full Name:
    DJ Geck
    You're kidding I'm sure! ;)

19. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Of course!

I don't think you have a serious problem though, it's just the diagnostics that are a pain in the ass. :)

20. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    DJ-

Post me through email.

Maybe we can solve your problem privately, without wasting bandwidth on Chat?