Anyone have pics of a 308 convrt? | FerrariChat

Anyone have pics of a 308 convrt?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Meister, Jan 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I was hoping someone might have some pics or photoshop's of a 308 convrt. I've seen some before and I know it's not all that pleasing but I would like to get a few if I could. Thanks guys

2. jhjvdm

jhjvdm Formula Junior

May 28, 2003
    Here's a spyder conversion done by German tuner Lorenz.

Enjoy!

Joop van der Meer

3. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    I LOVE 308's in Euro trim. The nose with the driving lights is perfect and this conversion is sweet. Bet it flexes like hell though; OR it has several hundred extra pounds. Or both.

Ken

4. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    Why would it flex more than a GTS? Imagine a GTS without the rear hatch, and then replace the targa hoop with a steel bar between the top of the rear doorposts (B-pillars).

Here is another one, and I don't think it looks good:

5. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
  6. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    It would flex a lot more. I had my 1989 GTS next to a 1989 GTB and the framerails, floor, door sills, and other parts are much different (bigger on the GTS). Even the jacking points were different.

7. jhjvdm

jhjvdm Formula Junior

May 28, 2003
    Bert308,

The picture you sent is a 288 GTO-like conversion on 308 chassis 21775,

done by Carpenter of Phoenix.

Joop van der Meer

8. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    Would have to agree with you Ken!

9. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Although I wouldn't buy it, that 288 convertible looks good to me!

10. PWehmer

PWehmer Formula 3

Oct 15, 2002
    Surrounded by Water
    For sale in Germany. One of two converted.

11. PWehmer

PWehmer Formula 3

Oct 15, 2002
    Surrounded by Water
    Electric top.

12. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Here's a composite of a few shots of a 308 spyder conversion. This car was for sale in Kansas City a few months ago. The engine had developed a knock and the owner did not know the extent of the problem. He also could not supply me with any specific details on who actually performed the conversion or what stiffening measures, if any, were performed on the frame to compensate for the top removal. There was no room for a folding top after the conversion was done, but there was a removable canvas top with frame that attached to the car on some custom mounting points. Sort of like a removeable convertible top. Unfortunately you couldn't take the top with you on a drive unless it was fastened in place. So this would have been a definite clear weather car. The owner e-mailed me several pictures of the car. It certainly did look like a very professionally done job, and the rear deck cover looked like it might be either custom made or a very extensively modified original cover. Overall, I thought it looked very nice. But the engine trouble scared me off as well as the idea of being caught in a rain storm while driving with the top off. You would have no choice but to get soaking wet. The guy wanted something like $17,000 for the car and it sold a few weeks after I got the photos from him. It was about 275 miles away from me, so I never actually saw it up close. I will probably regret not going to take a look at it.

13. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Another detailed shot of the rear deck. At the time I was researching the car, I could not find another photo of a 308 spyder conversion with this style of rear deck lid. On most of the conversions, the rear deck edges simply go straight back into the rear panel. But notice how this deck takes a jog sideways into the rear fender. Despite repeated attempts to assertain the maker of this conversion, the owner had no additional info.

14. Exoticbro

Exoticbro Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    St.Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Chuck Ligon
    Horsefly, I inquired about this car also.
    The unknown conversion and the engine problem
    scared the daylights out of me.
    Not to mention the fact that the top seemed
    to be an afterthought. If I remember right there
    were no pix with the top up.

I do think the car looked nice with no top.
    But with major engine work looming I am curious
    what he finally sold it for.

I also remember a cut 308 at an auction in TX
    about 6-8 months before this car was available,
    I wonder if this was the same car.

15. goyal99

goyal99 Karting

Mar 5, 2002
    Upstate NY - USA
    Full Name:
    V K
    I have never been a 308 lover but this GTO look-alike conversion looks great to me...Not something you see often at club meetings and from the photos looks very well done.

I can't say about much about the ride quality or chassis flex but I would assume whoever did the chop-chop job would have the experience to re-enforce the chassis and engine bay.

I would buy a cabrio 308 over a targa, if the opportunity presented itself. I really can care less who made the conversion as long as it was done correctly, doesn't flex when cornering and looks good . A car like that would have to be a matter of personal taste.

VK

16. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Exoticbro, just for you. Here's the photos that the owner sent me with the top on. Not too conclusive from this angle. If I remember correctly, there was another photo showing the detail of the top frame attachment points. And I agree, the top did look like an afterthought which was not befitting of Ferrari quality. But I still think it looks better than any other 308 spyder that I've seen. I wonder where the car went?

Exoticbro, I just reread your post. I remember distinctly that the owner of the Kansas City car said that the car had a Texas title. What more do you know about that Texas car? Maybe they ARE one in the same.

17. cabrio_fan

cabrio_fan Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Michael Davidson
    goyal99, It's your lucky day!

Here is that car up for auction at Barrett-Jackson:

January 21-25, 2004 Scottsdale, Arizona

Lot Year Description Type
    662.1 1977 FERRARI 308 CONVERTED TO 288 GTO SPYDER NO RESERVE

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/events/scottsdale/vehicles/cardetail_list.asp?id=175962

No affiliation w/ Barrett-Jackson but here is the description:

[start excerpt]

OPTIONS
    COLOR - RED
    TRANS - 5 SPEED
    CYLINDERS - 8
    HORSEPOWER - 460

Ferrari 308 converted to 288GTO, donor vehicle 1977 with only 3660 miles since conversion. New Kevlar body to exact 288GTO specifications and completed in 1992 by Carpenter of Phoenix. This is the only one ever built. $150,000 to duplicate. 100% Ferrari parts. 1987 328GRS engine modified to 288GTO specifications. 460 horsepower twin turbo. Engine centrally located. Full canvas top with boot. No air. Haltech electronic fuel injector. Brakes 300mm discs vacuum assist. Race ready, belts, clutch, brakes, etc. There has been 20 288GTO conversions done by Carpenter but this is the only roadster. No other like it on the planet. Featured in several national publications. 196MPH top speed, 0 to 60, 4.2 seconds, 500 pounds lighter than standard 308.

[end excerpt]

I think it looks great! If I wanted to spring that kind of $$$, I'd buy it.

Mike

18. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Thanks for all the great shots guys. From some different angles the car looks pretty good. And the GTO body work does throw some nice curves into it.
    I wasn't thinking of chopping my current 308, but if I found a car that had some damage or something and you could fool around with it... I just thought it might be a neet option. I was thinking that you could do some sort of 550 Barchetta treatment to it behind each of the seats and that would spice it up a little. You know the little roll bars. Anyway, thanks all for the great shots.

19. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    I've been in both a GTS and GTB and am well aware of the difference in stiffness. Also I have the interior out of my GTS and can see the reinforcements.
    But I certainly think people are smart enough to base the convertible on a GTS, because of the reinforcements, the already finished windshield top and the doors without window frames. And such a GTS based convertible would be as stiff as a GTS (though the GTS with roof attached is a little stiffer)

The GTO-conv: I knew it was from Carpenter. quote: "twinturbo 460 HP, raceready", regardless the stiffness issues, it is somehow missing the point of a convertible. Nobody would race such a thing, if it flips over you can only hope to be thrown out of it before landing...

20. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    #20 Chelle, Jan 10, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    cabrio_fan,
    I know that car! : )
    I looked into buying this car back in 1992 right after it was in "Sports Car International" I talked about it with Jim Carpenter (the builder) at length.
    Initially it had the 2 valve engine with twin turbo's and 460 horse (least that's what SCI wrote) I do still have a photocopy of the dyno results showing max power at the rear wheels being 436.3 Price with the 2 valve was $137,000 in 1992. I just dug up the letter from Jim stating the 328 engine was making 600 horse.. Actually below is the fulltext he sent me when I looked at the car (he had just put the 328 engine in it.. but for the life of me I don't remember the price, sorry). I have some images of it taken at Jim Carpenters. I was very impressed when I looked at it. He was better known back then for racing components and his 308/328 based P4 recreations.
    The photocopy of the dyno report is poor quality however if anyone wants it I'll be happy to scan. I also still have his photocopied catalog that I could make into jpg's or a .PDF if anyone is interested.

Jim Carpenter wrote:
    "This is a one of a kind 308. It's the only full convertible we made and was done as an advertising and design study. It's been featured in several magazines. it has now been fitted with a twin turbo 328 600+ hp motor. The suspension is race prepped with race swaybars and race bushings. The brakes are our Grand National 6 puck, 12" calipers with 13" rotors. the interior is the complete GTO style with A.C. and power windows. This car is completely sorted out, a dream to drive casually and if your foot goes down hold on because this car screams. The car is fitted with an onboard fire system and Sabelt race harness. the motor has only break in miles. This car is ready for street and track."

Da-rolls from here said he almost bought it about 5 and a half years ago when it was in the chicago area and the asking price was $70K.

Then it was listed on ebay in june of 2002 with a reserve of $60k (thought the seller later lowered that too)
    Honestly when I looked at it I thought it was as attractive as a 308 could be with the roof cut off.. but the power and GTO touches did look good. It was a bit over my head back then though.. I was in college and the collector car market had pretty well collapsed anyway (at teh time I had a kinda banged up 84 308 that I paaid $65k for .. .. If I had had the money, for what I would have paid (in 1992) I could have had a countach or any number of other toys.. besides, anything that fast ought to have a roof over your head. : )

Hope this was useful to someone- but even if it wasn't I had fun digging up that memory : )
    anyone wants more pics of it let me know
    Chelle
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. cavallino

cavallino Formula Junior

Aug 21, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Alain
  22. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    The car is often photographed :)

23. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    well i've got a bunch of pics of it in his shop when he built it, engine, chassis, etc.. .. the pic i posted was taken by a ferrari lister when the car was on ebay in 2002, 10 years after I looked at it
    chelle

24. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Bert,
    I agree. A GTS would be a better doner car than a GTB. I assumed the convertibles were from GTB's.

How is your car coming along?

25. jhjvdm

jhjvdm Formula Junior

May 28, 2003
    Ok, let's get back to the initial post of Meister in which he asked for

pictures of a 308 convertible.

Another one is attached.

BTW does anybody know what the guy in the back is doing?

Joop van der Meer