FOW and Risi Maseratis way off the pace at Daytona !! | FerrariChat

FOW and Risi Maseratis way off the pace at Daytona !!

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by FLATOUTRACING, Jan 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    #1 FLATOUTRACING, Jan 10, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I know that FNA and the FIAT people want to restore the racing heritage of Maserati to help boost the image of the road cars and I have to say that doing so greatly increases my desire to possibly own a Maserati road car one day but I fail to see why they are rushing into this.

I talked with several people at FOW on Friday and the Maserati GT is at least 4-5 seconds off the pace. They claim they are getting passed on the straights like they are standing still. There is some concern about the gearing but also the huge frontal area on the car.

I just don't undestand why they are racing it. I was pretty skeptical initailly when they annouced they would race the standard road car (or Challenge version of it) at Daytaon. My first thought was that it would get killed by the Porsche's.

Risi's car is apparently just as slow being maybe a second faster at most.

Let's hope they can further develop the car in the coming months or it's not going to look good for Maseerati from a marketing standpoint.

Here are some picutres of the car in testing.

Regards,

Jon P. Kofod
    www.flatoutracing.net
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    #2 FLATOUTRACING, Jan 10, 2004
  3. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    #3 FLATOUTRACING, Jan 10, 2004
  4. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    #4 FLATOUTRACING, Jan 10, 2004
  5. pino

pino Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    South Central PA
    What's that Jon?
    You say you're going to campaign a Maser at Daytona?
    Barchetta with yellow end caps, right?;)

6. JoTeC

JoTeC Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    Full Name:
    Joe Hullett
    I was at the test and had the opportunity to see the FOW Maserati and the team. Much like any new car, things will need to be sorted. The Viper GTS R couldn't get it done the first year but in the second year, they dominated the GTS class for 5 years. I remember the 360 GT having issues before total dominance in Grand-Am GT. I know the group at FOW and Risi Competizione and these guys WILL get to the front. You can beleive I will keep my eye on these guys. If they came away with anything from the Daytona test, it was the well received presence of the new car. Everyone loved it.

7. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    Hey Pino,

Happy New Year! How's your 355 doing?

Might have to rethink the colors. I think the Maser would look hideous with Barchetta red and those McDonalds yellow stripes on the hood.

Then again if McDonalds writes me a big sponsor check they can put Ronald McDonald's mug on he front hood for all I care.

Just sold the 355 C. Already planning on a 355 street car but will wait a year or two and concentrate on racing.

Hope to see you at Summit in a few months.

Regards,

Jon

8. VWH3RD

VWH3RD Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2003
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    I spent last monday at Daytona with some friends who are racing in the prototype division. I got to poke around the pits and check out all the hardware.

the Maserati might be a little slow but it sounded better than anything else on the track.

I am interested to see how they do, its a long race if they can keep it together they might have a decent showing.

9. pino

pino Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    South Central PA
    Happy New Year to you as well!

The 355 is typical Ferrari: a blast when everything is going right, a PITA when it's not. You know the drill.
    It is a Lake Forest Sports Cars getting the major done, but if the wife asks, it's there on consignment. (wink, wink)
    Honestly, it's there for both.

I wish you the best this year on the track, and I'm sure I'll see you at the Point. The wife is looking forward to taking the S60R at the next track event. Besides, I still have an obligation to be on your pit crew.

How's the Acura coming along? All set for the green light?

10. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Having been with Risi for three years, I can assure you that they will take their time to get the car worked out. Remember that they were having a hard time last year early on with the 360GT and then Ralf Kellener and Anthony Lazarro finished 2nd overall in the 24 Hours at Daytona. They also drove well against the large number of Porsches during the year and finished well for a privateer team. Do not poo foo them while they are in the developmental stages. Racing an entirely new car with an entirely new engine and drivetrain takes a little time and I am sure we will see great improvement as time goes on.

Go Risi Competizione, go!!!!!!!!!

11. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    While its great to see a Maserati being raced... and that race Maserati is beautiful (minus the wing)... but my Ferrari blood fears this also means seeing fewer Ferraris... and the GT development has been great for the road cars... witness the Stradale with GT components... admittedly, the Maserati needs more such help than the Ferraris do, though. -sigh-

12. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

Excalty how i feel..

The targeted buyers of the Maseratis Coupe should be the Jag XKR,996 atmo , SL 500 ...and for most of them, they dont really care about a car that is race derivated.

Ferrari should have raced the Enzo !

Anyway back to the topic..

Do you think they can gain those 4/5sec ?
    FOW wont race their 360 i guess ? I saw it for sale on the FML , unless they bought a GTC ?

13. Papa G

Papa G Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    This may be a dumb question but, where is the 360 GTC? With FoW and Risi Competizone (btw, I love these guys) campaigning the Maserati what team in the ALMS/Grand Am is going to run the 360 GTC?

It's great that Maserati will be raced in these series', but I hope we won't be deprived of seeing the 360 GTC here in the USA.

14. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Maserati tried to race those coupes in the Australian something race series against the Lambo's, F360s and Porsches ... they were absolutely hopeless ... infact I think they even had trouble keeping Australian family production cars behind them, in between breakdowns!

They may be okay and quick road cars, but like often the real chassis performance comes out on the track ... and they are cruisers not racers.

Maserati used to have a great racing history, but as others have said the way they are positioning Maserati now they no longer need to embarrass themselves on the track.

If Ferrari is going to continue being a coward they should race Alfa Romeos in these sports car classes because Alfa Romeo has always raced and raced sportscars not that long ago. They could then raise the profile of FIAT by racing their saloons instead of Alfas.

Pete

15. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    James,

The problems that both FOW and Risi had early on with their 360GT's were more problems of reliability than problems of being way off the pace. The problems that FOW and Risi are having with the Maser are not problems that are easily solved.

All one needs to do is look at the huge frontal area on the Maser vs. a 360. No aerodynamics whatsover. I also have to question the suspension geomotry on that car.

PSK made a very good point in that racing brings out the good and the bad in a road car chassis. It was a major advantage for the 360GT but I think it's going to be a major dis-advantage for them this time around.

I know all the folks at Washington Motorsports (FOW's racing arm) and they seem especially worried that they are so far off pace. The 360GT was only 1 1/2 to 2 seconds off the pace at Daytona in 2001 when the car came out and that car had even less development time than the Maser which has been in the works since early October.

I cetainly hope they do catch up but 5 seconds is a lot of time to catch up. Apparently FOW stuck around after last week to do some more testing.

I also think it speaks volumes about the potential of the car that both Cort Wagner and Brent Martini didn't sign on for the season. While Nick Longhi is a good club/vintage racer he's not a professional for hire racer. He's basically a Challenge/Historic participant.

I do think that the Maser will be more competitive at some of the lower speed tracks where top end aren't as important.

Well see if they significantly make changes to improve between now and the end of the month.

Regards,

Jon

16. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Algar will have a Maserati GT that they will race if anyone is interested. The car will be driven by the owners son and will be at the dealership some time in February/March. That is one awesome looking car.
    ERik

17. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    I was at FOW this morning and apparently they did more testing at Homestead and think they have found another two seconds. Don't know if Risi joined them or not.

Rumor has it that on the straights the Porsche's are passing them like they are standing still.

Although in their defense, Glen Marquis, head of Washington Motorsports is the best in the business and if it can be made faster he will get it done.

Regards,

Jon

18. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    I certainly agree about the technical problems that were existing on the 360GT. Most was due to the F1 gearbox. It happened several times during the 24 at Daytona.

Yes, the Maser has a huge frontal area to overcome. It will be interesting to see. I have not talked to the guys at Risi since testing but I will check and see what their thinking is. (If they will tell me)

If you know the Risi guys, you know that they will not show their hand in testing and sometimes not even early on in a long race. But, anymore lately, even endurance races are becoming more like sprint races and everyone is having to push hard thru the whole race. If anyone can make a Maser run well, it will be Risi Comp. They have the crew and the drivers to do it, if the car is capable.

19. JoTeC

JoTeC Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    Full Name:
    Joe Hullett
    You know, If I were bringing out a new car with new rules (weight, RPM, etc, the last thing I would do is "off the trailer flyers". ;) This tends to get you the uncoveted "lead trophy award". Risi Competizione and FOW know what they're doing, just look at their history... I don't think that everyone involved there suddenly woke up one morning with a total motorsport memory loss. I'm settling into my seat, I want to watch this...

20. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    I agree. Eyes fully open. It will be interesting to see how this all develops.