More Lotus Esprit talk | FerrariChat

More Lotus Esprit talk

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by allanlambo, Jan 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Starting a new thread, that hopefully will keep the Honda folks out. Today, i ran into a pretty cool guy on the Island that has a maroon colored 01 Esprit. Pretty cool guy, and we'll be getting together to do some spirited runs. He seems pretty anxious to race my Diablo, although im more interested in seeing the 355 against his car. He seems to like cars, but not very knowledgeable, as he was shocked my car made over 500hp stock. He did say he's had the car abut 2 years, runs it pretty hard, routinely seeing 150mph on his way to work, and that the car had been completely reliable accept for an a/c compressor. So hopefully ill get some cool videos in the future.

Another Esprit topic is, ive always wanted to own, an earlier Turbo Esprit, such as the one on James Bond. Think it would be neat to update the wheels, maybe some neat interior appointments in carbon fiber and race seats. Do a few mods on the motor also. Anyone done this?

Oh, and for the HOnda guys, the Esprit is 10X the car the Nsx is.

2. EspritSE

EspritSE Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Allan-

There are a few clean examples of Giugiaro designed Esprits here

http://www.lotusespritworld.co.uk/owners_Giugiaro.html

There is another guy on the net transplanting a V8TT engine/drivetrain into an earlier Esprit. I'll have to see if I can find his site.

Man, three more weeks. I can't wait to get to Hawaii.

Craig

3. EspritSE

EspritSE Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Craig
  4. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
  5. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    I think i have seen pictures of that 01 dark maroon esprit somewhere. I cant remember where now but fairly sure it was on the hawaiian islands. Definitley get some new pics and videos up when you can!

6. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    #6 lotustt, Jan 12, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    #7 lotustt, Jan 12, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Yup! Thats it. Ive also that Z8 here.

9. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    Sweet, get some better pics when you get a chance to hang out with this guy to.

10. richanton

richanton Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Giurgaro Esprits are pretty cheap, although it is tough to find one in good shape. I personally don't like them. They are sloowww.....

11. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I am sure he did as the Lotus is 10x the car the Diablo is.

12. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM

What is slow to you? AT the time they were not that slow and fast for there day. Why does everyone say the same thing about any type of car if its old or whatever.. its slow? God isnt there more to a car than people claiming its slow?

13. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    So you don't like when someone calls the esprit slow, but it is OK to say the NSX is slow? :rolleyes:

14. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    An early turbo Esprit, is just as quick if not faster than an early Nsx. Im sure the Nsx is a better track car though. So, ill say, the Early Esprit is only 2X the car of the Nsx. And yes, the Lotus is 10X the car of the Diablo. lol

15. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    Haha, nice!!

16. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    Me personally have not said the NSX is slow! You can reread the thread and check, but im most certain i didnt say it was slow.

17. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    My mistake. I must have mixed up your comments with Allan. Are there any Lotus owners in Louisiana? Maybe I can drive one and get a real world opinon.

As for Allan, you crack me up :) I have never before seen someone who pisses so many people off so quickly. You should be in guiness.

18. 328Matt

328Matt Karting

Dec 3, 2003
    Lymm,Cheshire
    Full Name:
    Matt
    The earliest turbo models were i think badged as "essex" cars, a production run of 100.Don't buy the other Bond Lotus(the underwater car), build was terrible as was performance.I think it was 160 bhp tops.After your s.v. it will be as if you are in treacle.Is your Lambo the earlier model with 510hp or the later 530hp model?

19. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Im the one who said the Nsx is slow. Here listen " The Nsx is a DOG!" lol

I also find it funny how you say i piss people off. I cant imagine getting upset over what someone ive never met says over the internet. I find that HILLARIOUS.

I have the only available model motor for a U.S. Sv, which is the 530hp motor. The 510 was in early Euro cars. My cars has variable valve timing, leather interior, adjustable suspension, front jacking and larger brakes. On nitrous, depending on the jets, im running somewhere between 750-800hp. On motor ABout 600hp.

20. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Did i mention the Esprit is 10X the car of the NSX?

21. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I think you did. Once or twice. Funny though, I think Mario Andretti would disagree with you. For some strange reason, I would rather trust his opinion. Silly me.

"The Esprit is a car that, if you drive it at 8/10ths, it's a lot of fun. But if you have to hustle it at 10/10ths, it becomes unsettled. The rear begins hiking up, disrupting the feeling and balance of the car, and the inside rear tire lifts off the ground. Also, the turbo-charged engine isn't that flexible so you can't corner with just the throttle. Only if you hold back a little does the car reward you with good cornering feel and response."
    —Mario Andretti

"The NSX (zanardi) is all understeer, but for a road car that's desirable because an understeering car is safer than one that oversteers. It is very stable and possesses a flat feel. But the best thing about this car is that, if you want to let your hair down, it will let you. Ask for more and the car gives it to you. Actually, I'm not surprised that the NSX lap times were the second-fastest because it was the car I was the most comfortable in."
    —Mario Andretti

22. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    Mario went on to say that the car he'd personally drive home though would be the 355 Spyder. So it's all relative.

23. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    True, but all we are talking about is car peformance. The NSX was faster than the Lotus v8 TT. Hense, the Lotus is not 10x the car the NSX is but is acutally, 8/10th the car. :)

I don't mean to come off hating Lotus. I would love to drive one. If you know anyone with one in Louisiana, let me know.

24. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Only think is, your comparing a stock 97 Lotus to a Zanardi Nsx, which is more of a race tuned Nsx. Compare that car, to my Lotus, with bigger brakes, and different Ecu which makes up for Marios comments.

So, the Esprit is now 11X the car of the Nsx.

25. lotusboy

lotusboy Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2003
    Madison,Wi.
    Full Name:
    Kevin Geiwitz
    ALLEN you are funny, only 10xxx the car.