Thinking of a 97-99 Chevy Tahoe, advice | FerrariChat

Thinking of a 97-99 Chevy Tahoe, advice

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Mojo, Nov 7, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Im thinking of replacing my old 91 suburban with something a little smaller and newer. Like a late 90's Tahoe. Has anyone owened one here? and do you have any comments about it? good or bad. Or should I go a different route?

2. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I owned a 95 Tahoe that I bought brand new and drove 75k miles. Great truck. I liked it so much, I replaced it with a Yukon XL.

3. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Mojo,

I have a '99 Tahoe LT, 4dr, 4x4 and I love it. Very reliable, strong, excellent in the snow etc.

If possible, you may want to think about getting a 2000 or newer with the new body style, because they handle better and get a little better mileage (I think). More refined interior, different engines etc.

Here is a link to a great resource for info about Tahoes/Yukons and Subs: http://forums.vmag.com/suvtahyuk0301/

4. Nibblesworth

Nibblesworth Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 29, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    BillyBoy
    Keep in mind that the doors of those trucks are glued on.

Don't beleive me? Go and open your door and look at the hinges. No bolts, just glue. It looks like it may be a weld, but it ain't. It's glue.

That's all I'm gonna say about those trucks.

5. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Nebs,

what are you smoking? :)

I will check later tonight (just in case), but seriously! Glued on?!?!?

6. Nibblesworth

Nibblesworth Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 29, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    BillyBoy

Glued on. It'll look like a weld, but get pen out and poke it. It's glue.

It's been that way since the mid 80's, and the I beleive that even the current year glues them on.

7. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    would you get a tax break on a used truck versus a new one?

8. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    I have never heard of any doors falling off. and its been around a long time so it must work.:)

9. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule

You may consider a 1995 if you can find a decent one. The new interior changed from 1994, OBD I, not OBD II, so you can make more "shadetree mechanic" changes and fixes. Mine has some serious engine mods, that would be much more expensive on a 1996 or later. The new body style is nice, but feels smaller inside due to more rounded corners. I also like the tailgate versus barn doors in the back. Yukons and Tahoes sit 2 inches lower than pickups and Suberbans. They were designed more for "station wagon" owners than truck owners. To increase sales to both genders, GMC put only "GMC" on the trucks in 1996, instead of "GMC Truck".

1996 brought daytime running lights. 1997 brought passenger airbag.

That said, the 1996 and newer have a Vortec engine, which puts out 40 more horses. I like the pre-1999 body style, 1995 OBD I, and good reliability. I don't like the cheap leather (I replaced the driver's seat leather three times). Some newer trucks have a rear link suspension instead of leaf springs.

The Yukon (same truck, but GMC) actually has lower insurance due to lower production numbers.

I have driven mine all over Alaska (including the Arctic Circle), Canada, Pikes Peak and the lower 48 for 98K miles (see attached picture).

Perfect truck - K2500 Suberban with the big block (454), ready for mods.

10. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    The rear tailgate has a wiper and defroster, which the barn doors do not. The aerodynamics of the truck make the rear window very dirty in sloppy conditions, so these help.

In the Arctic: