Kitchen Cutlery | FerrariChat

Kitchen Cutlery

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by damcgee, Jan 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. damcgee

damcgee Formula 3

Feb 23, 2003
    Mobile, AL
    Does anyone else love kitchen knives? I'm a married college student, so I don't get to indulge much, but I love having good knives.

When I got married I used some money I had saved to buy a set of J.A. Henckels Professional S knives, and I love them!

I used Global knives when I attended a cooking school at Viking, and now I am dying to own at least one of them for things like vegetable chopping, etc. That will be a purchase after I graduate in May.

So, anyone else share this passion? If so, what are you using?

2. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    i'm a serious global slut. love 'em.

my wife thinks they're TOO sharp though - VERY amusing. they scare her.

their serrated bread knife is to die for. we're huge fans of Iggy's Francese bread (you boston-ites know what i mean) and it's a bear to cut without a good knife. we eat more bread now :)

doody!

3. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I have a full set of Cutco knives. I sold the damn things when I finished high school. I did make good money but that was off of friends & family.

4. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Melodie always brings her knives home. I have given her a large set of double signature Henkels that I get to use around the house! She has about $2K in her collection right now.

5. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    My dad collects custom knives and turned me on to some serious custom kitchen knives. I have 2. They are SO sharp it's unreal. My old Henckles seem very dull in comparison. The bad part is, I could buy 3 or 4 Henckles for one of these.

6. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2002
    Houston
    Oh yeah, I love cutlery. If you cook, a decent set of cutlery makes it so much more enjoyable. Everyone should have a good all purpose chef's knife. I've got a great Henckel chef's knife. For Christmas I got a Shun 8" chef's knife and paring knife.

And they are scary sharp. My fiancee is also scared of them, so she hacks away at stuff with these dull pos knives, as if that's safer.

Here's the Shun. It's great.

7. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    I thought this thread was going to be about OJ.

8. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

9. damcgee

damcgee Formula 3

Feb 23, 2003
    Mobile, AL
    Wow, that Shun knife was something! I read about it on Amazon.com, and there was only one review for it, but it was a great review. The guy was obviously knowledgable. He also dissuaded me from buying the Henckels Santoko to match the rest of my set. I'll likely just buy a Wusthof santoku, as the handles look identical to my prof S.

I think I have convinced my in-laws that a set of global knives would make the PERFECT college grad. gift, so maybe I'll get lucky and score one there.

Anyone else wanna chime in?

10. SpeedFreak

SpeedFreak Karting

Jul 20, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Brad
    The Cutco knives are the best that I have seen. I sold them the summer before college as well, and have a set of my own and have nothing to gain by saying they kick ass. I think a full set with 8 pieces and table knives is probably around $750 or so...it's been a while since I've priced it out. It's also kinda funny how people who bought knives from me years ago who I still occasionally see tell me they love them.

11. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
  12. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    My dad is the knife guy. He has tons. Here are some.

13. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    And a 500 pound chopping block :)