bmw vs porsche... | FerrariChat

bmw vs porsche...

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by bostonmini, Jan 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    what does everyone like better, the X5 or the Cayenne? don't be too fast to say cayenne bc it can be the turbo, this is a comfort car too...not for strictly track;) wondering most about the new 4.8is?

2. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    cayenne turbo, its got the speed, the braking, the better looks, and alot more (and i dont even like porsche)

3. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    It depends on what you need out of the SUV. Both are very agile and luxurious. I personally find the X5 to be better looking but would get a Cayenne over one due to the SUV characteristics the car has. It can actually tow a lot of weight, go off road, safe, and is not as common as the X5. The X5 is great if you do not need to caryr much in the rear or tow that much.

4. Ric

Ric Karting

Dec 25, 2003
    On the road..Conn
    Full Name:
    Ric N
    personally i think the X5 is the best looking SUV out there but the turbo cayenne performance is awesome though.

5. kenny

kenny Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2003
    Greenwich , CT
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Save your money and get the VW Toureg V8, Just as nice as a Cayenne... Wanting high performance from an SUV is like wanting to meet a hot looking Nun... What's the point??

6. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Agree with Ric, the cayenne outperforms, but who cares? i think the Imola Red x5 is cool (4.6) with just a little extra grunt, instead of putting in a "sport" suspension. Some cool stuff too, a very young interior with the red accents, variable tachometer redline etc. looks fun.

7. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    also, you could probably get that new Dinan supercharger for less than a cayenne turbo, and when i hear porsche is the most profitable car maker, selling a rebadged VW, ugh, Im in no mood to pay. But I actually liked the nun analogy best, what IS the point?

8. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    RANGE ROVER :)

sorry I am kinda biased. But honestly I looked at em all and liked the rover best. But the X5 is the rover sans off-roading for less.

9. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Marin Calif
    Here's my .02...I think they are both equal and would sway toward the dealership with better service department and more accommodating to ones needs.

10. spidr

spidr Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2003
    Pepperfish gets my vote

11. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

The X5 because it is significantly less expensive and slightly better looking.

12. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    X5 and Cayenne are both Fugly! You can preach all the performance B.S. you want about either one. The X5 is nothing more than an overpriced status symbol (From BMW? Gee, go figure.). For $40K-$50K you can get a hell of a lot more in an SUV than you do with the X5. As far as the Cayenne, I'm sorry, but if you pay $60K-$80K (or more) because of its performance then you've got a f***ing screw loose. Buy a performance car, not an SUV.

13. spidr

spidr Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2003
    I think the V6 Cayanne at $42K is a helluva deal but it doesn't have the Porsche motor. Just the POrsche "optimized" one. I agree though. A GMC Envoy or Denali would be a MUCH better choice at 35-55K. I do think some of the higher end GM SUV's do have have prestige.

14. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Neither...
    I like my Range Rover for off road 4 x 4 fun,
    and my 325ix for on road 4 x 4 fun.