Sales Tax on Cell Phone!!!! | FerrariChat

Sales Tax on Cell Phone!!!!

Discussion in 'Technology' started by JamesH, Jan 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JamesH

JamesH Formula Junior

May 11, 2001
    San Carlos, Californ
    Full Name:
    James Hom
    I recently purchase a new cell phone and resign a 2 year contract with Verizon. The phone only cost me 59.99 but they charged me sales tax for the full retail price of the phone, which they said was 359.99. I ended up having to pay 29.70 for tax on a 59.99 phone. When I called customer service, they told me that they are required by the city/state/government to charge me tax on the full retail price of the phone. Whats up with that? Does anyone know if this is legit. Same thing happen to my friend with AT&T. Is this really legal?

2. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    That sucks! I have no idea what the law is on this. I had a similar occurance but had forgotten about it. One of the local grocery stores(national chain) will charge sales tax on items full price even if you have a 100% discount coupon. I remember I had gotten a coupon for a free bar of Dove soap and when I dropped by the store to pick it up they charged me sales tax for the full purchase price. I thought it was odd at the time, confrimed with several others that have experienced the same at this store and then totally forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder! I hope this question gets a good answer here.

3. Michael

Michael Formula Junior

Oct 29, 2001
    Nevada
    Full Name:
    Michael
  4. JamesH

JamesH Formula Junior

May 11, 2001
    San Carlos, Californ
    Full Name:
    James Hom
    Good article Michael. Thanks. So, in reading this article, on the bottom of page two, 1st column, it states "Under both California and Texas authorities, the vendor ends up paying the sales tax on the original retail price of the telecommunications equipment, and cannot directly pass on the cost of the tax to the customer". Does this mean I got screwed?