What are 355 wheel spacers for? | FerrariChat

What are 355 wheel spacers for?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by vref, Jan 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vref

vref Karting

Dec 18, 2003
    1 Hr North of Housto
    Full Name:
    Jim
    What is the purpose of Wheel spacer for a 355? I see them advertised and wonder why these are needed.

2. yfc

yfc Karting

Dec 23, 2003
    Geneva / Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    I could not find anything in the F355 user manual. Where did you find these information about wheel spacer?

3. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    I have just put them on my 355 spider, all they do is put the wheels just behind the wheel arch,thus giveing it a more agressive and a little wider stance. Some say this puts strees on the bearings but i have used them on a few cars with out problems.

4. rossofiorano355

rossofiorano355 Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    NOLA - Bham
    Full Name:
    Ron
    chaa, what is the thickness of the spacers you used? all four wheels?

5. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Wheel spacers move the track outward but leave the suspension movement point unmodified.

At the front, this results in higher compressive forces in the steering rack, and decreases the feel of the contract patch as felt from the steering wheel.

At the rear this moves the contact patch outwards, and thereby, causes large braking forces to cause toe OUT, and accelerative forces to cause toe IN. Neighter toe change happens in 348/355 rear suspensions with original wheels and tires.

Is any of this big enough to worry about, likely not unless you are into racing. The the forces are real, nonetheless.

Widening the track, causes more weight to reamin on the inside tires in turns, and thereby increases grip (marginally), but is no substitute for lowering the center of gravity.

I supply the following picture to show the F355 suspension system:: notice how the ball joints and teh shock forces are angled to the center of the contact patch..........

6. notoboy

notoboy F1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    David
    I'm curious about the wheel spacers as well. I am considering them for the front, because the wheels don't look right as they do not sit at the edges of the fenders like the rears - hey no laughs, looks are important!

Mitch,
    What are the real world (not track) implications?
    Do wheel bearings noticeably wear faster for 1/2 inch spacers in front.
    Does a 1/2 inch per side make the steering noticeably numb?

Would appreciate any input.
    Thanks,
    David

7. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    My guess is that 1/2" is small enough that the bearing longevity will be essentually unchanged, while the ball joints longevity may go down somewhat, steering tie rod ends longevity may also go down a little. If all these parts are supposed to go 100K miles and then show noticible wear, then the spacer car would get 85K-90K.

As to steering sensitivity, this would be similar to the difference in steering sensitivity when comparing r-compound tires to regular high performance street rubber. I suspect may will actually like deadening the steering sensitivity.