What was the first "exotic" you saw as a kid that started your passion? | FerrariChat

What was the first "exotic" you saw as a kid that started your passion?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Prugna 328, Jan 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory
    I think the first for me was a Lotus Europa. I know its not a F, but when I was younger there were very few cars with the motor behind the driver. I guess I was fascinated by this.

2. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    1983 issue of Car and Driver with a Black Lamborghini Countach on the cover. Still have the magazine, still love the car. Didint finally see one in the flesh till a year or 2 later.

3. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    the first time i went to new york i think i was around 8 or somehting and i saw this red low lying car in front of this club i didnt know what it was then but for soem reason once i started getting into Ferrari and i saw a 308 for the first time it reminded me of that car. maybe it was or maybe it wasnt.fomr my memory it reminds me of one alot.

4. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory
    Saw a guy autocrossing it. Thought it was the coolest car I ever saw. I was just a kid, what did I know.

5. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory
    Allan any problems getting that beautiful Diablo servived on Maui? Any room to let it "breathe"? I was out there years ago I dont really remember the roads?

6. KMS

KMS Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 22, 2003
    I first saw a yellow Pantera broken down on the side of the road in Bethesda Maryland. Not too much later I saw a black Lamborghini Countach.

7. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    the first "exotic" i saw and actually knew what it was when i saw it was a black countach getting serviced at a dealership here.got pics of it and everything.

8. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Diablo, saw it in a car dealership when lexus hunting for my mother with my father. Was a surprise for her, I didnt care, wanted the red diablo (1992ish).

9. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    First time I saw exotic cars was at "Super Car Race" in Japan during mid 70's. It wasn't really a race, but owners gather around as these cars were popular back then. Saw Ferrari Dino, Lotus Europe, Lambo Miura, and others. These 3 cars gave me strong impression, then few years later, I saw Lambo Countach. It looked like a toy! Too cool to be a car! Back then, a car to me was Corolla, Blue Bird, etc (sedans)

I still like Ferrari, Lambo, and Lotus till this day.

10. jason 1979

jason 1979 Rookie

Dec 14, 2003
    Thie first exotic i had seen was a countach back in sicially where i was born and lived till i was ten also my father took me to the lamborghini and ferrari factories before comming to the U.S. for my birthday.

11. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Define: "Exotic"
    For some, it might be a Jag XKE, Ferrari 330 GTC, Shelby Cobra, Lotus Europa, Mercedes Gullwing...

(That's the order of post '50 cars I saw that made me say - yeahhhhh - saw all of above by 1972)

Others may disagree on some of those being called "Exotic"

12. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    NSX a year and a half ago!

13. Dr C

Dr C Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2002
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Ed
    I think it was 1955. My uncle took me for a ride in his new gullwing Mercedes. I think it was a 300? When you sat in it, you had to get over the frame rails (or whatever you called them) by kind of falling into it behind first. The sound was incredible - still remember how noisy (beautiful noisy) it was.

I don't believe he ever sold it -- kept it as long as he lived.

14. benedict

benedict Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Anyone remember this?- Bricklin SV1, gullwing doors, didn't last very long.

15. abavai

abavai Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Jaguar e type roadster, first serie, british racing green.
    Ferrari 308 black and maserati biturbo.

16. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    I still have that very same issue, I believe there was a hot looking redhead posing with it. For me, it was the Countach as well. When I saw it in real life, it just blew me away.

17. Wildwarrior

Wildwarrior Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2003
    PA
    Full Name:
    Glen Winters
    Back in 70 or 71 ,my moms boss in NY owned a new black DeTomasa Mangusta, she was a far cry from you'r Stangs,GTOs and Road runners of the day which where everywhere.At the time I was in awe,what a sweet car, now some 30 years later my Fly Yellow 512TR has similar lines.

18. spyderman33

spyderman33 Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    MIA/ATL
    Full Name:
    Julian
    For me it was the Vector... Not sure if those are still around but saw it in the Dupont Registry back in the 80's then saw one on the road once..

That and the Countach did it for me.

19. Liquid

Liquid Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Doylestown, PA
    Saw a red TR sometime around the late 80's.

20. JH

JH F1 Veteran

Nov 14, 2002
    Odense, Denmark
    Full Name:
    Jonas H.
    Well, my passion started back in the 80's when I saw a 288 GTO in Italy passing us on the highways. I have been hooked on the red thoroughbred since :)

21. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    I bought a auto magazine in the 70's at a supermarket. It had a top
    view of a maroon or yellow C/T. I did'nt think much of finding the car
    on the road. In Houston your choices were pretty much limited to
    Corvettes, Porsches, and the rare 308.

22. Exotic_Car_Guy

Exotic_Car_Guy Karting

Apr 2, 2003
    California, Carmel
    Full Name:
    Gil Lucero
    The Lamborghini Miura. I saw it first in a Teen magazine that featured Dino Martin and Desi Arnaz Jr. I thought that was the most beautiful car with all the styling details (the curves of the body, eyelashes, air scoops, etc.). This prompted me to start reading car magazines, and the rest is history. Over 30 years later I finally bought my dream car.
    Gil

23. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    When I was 8,(1968) one of my neighbor's sons just got back from Viet Nam. I believe that they gave soldiers a few grand after their Tour of Duty was over. Most guys got Boss Mustangs or Camaro's. He got a Silver '68 'Vette Convertible.I would stare at that car all day,every day. No,Not really an 'exotic'. But,I was hooked on Vettes. But...first Exotic? When I turned 16,saw a Red Ferrari 308. Fell in love with it instantly. Then,saw posters,or on Magnum P.I.,movies,etc... Rarely saw one in person. But,I got my first,(of 7) Corvettes when I was 25. then,my Ferrari 308 3 years ago when I was 40. Now,looking to add a Testarossa this year. (Miami Vice?)

24. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    When I was in high school a doctor in the small town in which I lived had a white Pantera. I'll never forget when he fired it up one time when I was going by his house. Man, it was like thunder.

25. ccr2002

ccr2002 Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Salt Lake City, UT
    When I was 7 or 8 yrs old our family drove from Utah to CA and made a stop in Las Vegas. We went over to Caesers Palace where my parents and brothers wanted to go walk around and see Circus Circus etc...I saw red 246 Dino drive up to valet and then scanned a few Rolls lined up...a yellow pantera, maserati bora (black)....well i spent the rest of the night talking to the valet guys and my family picked me up when it was time to drive back to our hotel. It's been an obsession ever since. Recently my wife and i were again discussing my affliction...and she soon thereafter found an old box...my 10th grade history class. My notebook was full of the R&T spec sheets on the Dino, 275 GTB, Daytona, 300sl, Bora etc...about 50 of them that i had copied from the library. Amid my scattered notes were drawings of all of them. She cried, "i give up."