Just What Are The Calipers On The 308s? | FerrariChat

Just What Are The Calipers On The 308s?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by donaldh2o, Jan 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. donaldh2o

donaldh2o Karting

Nov 10, 2003
    Irvine CA
    Full Name:
    Don
    My 76 308 User Manual says the front calipers on the car have dual 48mm pistons, while ATE, the manufacturer of the caliper, says they are dual 57mm pistons.

After nearly 30 years, they haven't sorted this out?

I really don't want to take the calipers off the car until I have the caliper rebuild kits in my hands. If anyone knows for sure what they are, I would appreciate your taking time to post the answer.

I've seen several places on the web that sell the kits. Don't know who's got the best deal or the best kits? Have never rebuilt a caliper.

2. joeyy

joeyy Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    long island
    Full Name:
    joe
  3. lou staller

lou staller Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2002
    Orange County Ca
    Full Name:
    Lou Staller

4. zff

zff Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Joeyy, I'm glad to hear all that work I put into creating that page has helped someone. It's my hope that one day, the web will be filled with similarly detailed pages for various procedures on the 308.

5. carl888

carl888 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Carl
    The calipers, and hence the seal kits (With the exception of the rear handbrake mecanism) are identical to 1974-1989 Porsche 911, just get an ATE re-build kit to suit that model.

Carl.

6. joeyy

joeyy Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    long island
    Full Name:
    joe
    i here ya Zff!! keep up the good work!!