348 GTC Battery Question | FerrariChat

348 GTC Battery Question

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by anthony, Jan 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. anthony

anthony Rookie

Jan 11, 2004
    Manchester UK
    Hi everybody, just found this forum today, marvellous.

Question 1: Have owned 348 GTC since march last year, only use it about once a week, I have bought a solar powered trickle charger to try and keep the juice running in the battery, but I am still having to jump start if not used for more than 3 days. Does anybody else out there use any form of trickle charging on their car?

Question 2: I think the battery needs replacing really, seeing as it is mounted under the N/S/Front headlight (right hand drive) what is the easiest way to get to battery and replace it?

many thanks

2. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
  3. anthony

anthony Rookie

Jan 11, 2004
    Manchester UK
    Thanks for the tips.

Anthony

4. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    Anthony,

There are "trickle chargers" you can buy in the open market, but be careful on the output, a too higher output will blow the diodes in the alternator. Maranello Sales have trickle chargers that you can plug into your cigarette lighter and will maintain the battery, switching itself on and off as required. Remember that a trickle charger will not recover a battery that is lower than 75% charged. If you're interested phone Martin Rowles on 01784-433043, the charger costs about £50.00.

If you are replacing the battery I would recommend that you test the charging circuit to make sure that the alternator is working correctly and also check that the battery is not being "drained" (ie - glove box light stuck on or similar)

MW