348 GTC Battery | FerrariChat

348 GTC Battery

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by anthony, Jan 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. anthony

anthony Rookie

Jan 11, 2004
    Manchester UK
    Hi everybody, just found this forum today, marvellous.

Question 1: Have owned 348 GTC since march last year, only use it about once a week, I have bought a solar powered trickle charger to try and keep the juice running in the battery, but I am still having to jump start if not used for more than 3 days. Does anybody else out there use any form of trickle charging on their car?

Question 2: I think the battery needs replacing really, seeing as it is mounted under the N/S/Front headlight (right hand drive) what is the easiest way to get to battery and replace it?

many thanks
    ps thread posted to technical questions also.

2. 456mgt

456mgt Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2002
    Cambridge UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    It does sound like your battery is stuffed Anthony; either that or there is a drain somewhere. I've used trickle charging ever since one of the main dealers told me that >60% of their callouts are for flat batteries. The one I use is a CSI Airlow Model 5016-01 which plugs into the cigar lighter. It doesn't over-charge (the temptation to add something here is fierce) and is available from many places at £40-50.

Have to admit I thought the 'solar powered trickle charger' priceless! So, in deepest winter, just when you need it most.... My brother and I have a competition to who can choose the most useless present, the current title held by a tie press. He lives in N. Wales so I reckon a solar powered anything would just about do it. Thank you.

No idea sorry, though it does ring a bell. Wasn't there an article in the FOC magazine a few months back about replacing the battery in a 348 or a 355?

Kevin

3. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
  4. gts328uk

gts328uk Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Anthony

Yep sorry mate sounds as though the battery is shot.

I use the airflow battery management charger its fantastic, battery is allways in top form. Try them on www.racecar.co.uk/airflow or call them on 01635 569569

Mark

5. anthony

anthony Rookie

Jan 11, 2004
    Manchester UK
    "My brother and I have a competition to who can choose the most useless present, the current title held by a tie press. He lives in N. Wales so I reckon a solar powered anything would just about do it. "

'fancy buying a solar powered trickle charger kevin?', make a lovely present for your brother!

Thanks for your advice chaps, typical my car has to have the battery in the front and not in the engine compartment...........just to make it slightly more difficult!

Regards Anthony

6. Steve275

Steve275 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jun 20, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hi Anthony,

Not sure what battery you have fitted, But I suggest buying a Bosch Silver or Gold Standard battery, After many years of trial & failure these are the best I've found, I also use Oxford Battery Optimisers on my cars, bought for about £30 from Halfords.
    They come with a pair of crocodile clamps and permanent terminal clamps which connects to a push/pull connector you can leave in the front luggage space.

PS - Welcome to the forum,

Steve